• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    The case was Malposso v Pallozzi. It was one of the 10 cases that were denied cert back in June of this year.

Yes, I got that. You and I both know that this request for cert wasn't the correct language or proper argument. Isn't that what we have been discussing here?

Seems to me the correct information or language used for Md CCW denial would be in Wren and Grace. If you follow.

Reading the descent in No. 10-7036 DICK ANTHONY HELLER, ET AL.,
    here...https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/DECA496973477C748525791F004D84F9/$file/10-7036-1333156.pdf
    APPELLANTS v.DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, Was written by now Justice Kavanaugh. Now he wrote descent with Thomas. ROGERS v. GREWAL.

Clearly stated at least 2 would grant cert. Was it language and proper argument that must get in order.
    quoted...
    Whatever one may think about the proper approach to analyzing Second Amendment challenges, it is clearly time for us to resolve the issue.

The right is not the same thing as the ability
    Funny :) We don't all have the ability to remain silent either. Yes We have the Right!!

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    2A

Under that reasoning, ANYTHING can be dangerous. A piece of wood, metal, a pencil, a boot, etc.
    There is almost nothing I can think of that is dangerous without human interaction, save perhaps radioactive material.
    Why does it “certainly seem” that government can impose those restrictions? The Constitution does not afford them that power, no matter how many people twist it and say that it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damn, never knew it said the ability to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The reasoning was just what I alluded to in the quoted post. It was something just believed at the time; there were no statistics saying more murders occurred from concealed than open carry, exc. society isn’t in the same place as it was back then.

I get that it something just believe and there were no statistics backing it up.

The reasoning provides a basis for determining other things that are not specifically CCW. The reasoning indicates that they wanted to prevent criminality rather than just a preventing guns in public.

We can reevaluate the situation to see if the bans on CCW are still appropriate in the current situation. If you read the CCW prohibition as simply preventing guns then you get Peruta. IF you understand the reasoning why along with the fact that we no longer see CCW as only a criminal behavior, you would come to the opposite conclusion.

If you look at the historical prohibitions that Breyer raised in his Heller dissent, I see the same type of basis for those prohibitions. There seems to be a pattern that any historic prohibition was trying to address the negative effects without impinging on the ability for lawful uses.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Under that reasoning, ANYTHING can be dangerous. A piece of wood, metal, a pencil, a boot, etc.
    There is almost nothing I can think of that is dangerous without human interaction, save perhaps radioactive material.
    Why does it “certainly seem” that government can impose those restrictions? The Constitution does not afford them that power, no matter how many people twist it and say that it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything can be dangerous depending on how it is used. I am not sure most people would consider any of the objects you describe as normally dangerous because the typical interaction is unlikely to produce any injuries.

There certainly is a link between humans and the term dangerous because the term is defined as an effect, usually to a human. There are lots of things that are dangerous and do not require human interaction to be dangerous. Environments that are toxic, corrosive, hypoxic, or thermally inappropriate are all dangerous, but do not require interaction to be dangerous.

Murder infringes on one's ability to bear arms in whatever way one chooses. Does the Constitution prevent the government from imposing restrictions on murder? The term "certainly seem" is an acknowledgement that not everything about keeping and bearing arms is protected by the Constitution.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Yes, I got that. You and I both know that this request for cert wasn't the correct language or proper argument. Isn't that what we have been discussing here?

Seems to me the correct information or language used for Md CCW denial would be in Wren and Grace. If you follow.

Reading the descent in No. 10-7036 DICK ANTHONY HELLER, ET AL.,
    here...https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/DECA496973477C748525791F004D84F9/$file/10-7036-1333156.pdf
    APPELLANTS v.DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, Was written by now Justice Kavanaugh. Now he wrote descent with Thomas. ROGERS v. GREWAL.

Clearly stated at least 2 would grant cert. Was it language and proper argument that must get in order.
    quoted...

Funny :) We don't all have the ability to remain silent either. Yes We have the Right!!

While I agree that Malpasso should have been argued differently, it does represent a case that used Wren and Grace to try and overturn a MD CCW denial. I am not sure what you are trying to articulate.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    While I agree that Malpasso should have been argued differently, it does represent a case that used Wren and Grace to try and overturn a MD CCW denial. I am not sure what you are trying to articulate.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Since Kavanaugh and Thomas wrote the
    Rogers V Grewal descent maybe compare that with the arguements
    in Malpasso. There must be some difference language the USSC is looking for?
    Ya think?

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/DECA496973477C748525791F004D84F9/$file/10-7036-1333156.pdf

Read the descent that Kavanaugh wrote in 2010. starting at page 46. Please read on. His view also is disagreement on. He descents on interest balance tests.
    If I'm not mistaken. Meaning the "compelling interest of public safety"
    The Court stated rather emphatically: “We know of no other enumerated constitutional right whose core
    protection has been subjected to a freestanding ‘interestbalancing’ approach. The very enumeration of the right takes
    out of the hands of government – even the Third Branch of Government – the power to decide on a case-by-case basis
    whether the right is really worth insisting upon. A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments
    of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all.” Id page 59
    quoted from his lead in statements.
    In my judgment, both D.C.’s ban on semi-automatic
    rifles and its gun registration requirement are unconstitutional under Heller.
    In Heller, the Supreme Court held that handguns – the
    vast majority of which today are semi-automatic – are
    constitutionally protected because they have not traditionally
    been banned and are in common use by law-abiding citizens.
    There is no meaningful or persuasive constitutional
    distinction between semi-automatic handguns and semiautomatic rifles.

Semi-automatic rifles, like semi-automatic
    handguns, have not traditionally been banned and are in common use by law-abiding citizens for self-defense in the home, hunting, and other lawful uses. Moreover, semiautomatic handguns are used in connection with violent crimes far more than semi-automatic rifles are.

It follows from Heller’s protection of semi-automatic handguns that
    semi-automatic rifles are also constitutionally protected and
    that D.C.’s ban on them is unconstitutional. (By contrast,
    fully automatic weapons, also known as machine guns, have
    traditionally been banned and may continue to be banned after
    Heller.)

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Sorry I wasn't more clear. Since Kavanaugh and Thomas wrote the
    Rogers V Grewal descent maybe compare that with the arguements
    in Malpasso. There must be some difference language the USSC is looking for?
    Ya think?

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/DECA496973477C748525791F004D84F9/$file/10-7036-1333156.pdf

Read the descent that Kavanaugh wrote in 2010. starting at page 46. Please read on. His view also is disagreement on. He descents on interest balance tests.
    If I'm not mistaken. Meaning the "compelling interest of public safety"

quoted from his lead in statements.

I believe the language that SCOTUS is looking for is why the deferential intermediate scrutiny the lower courts use is not appropriate and what is the correct way to decide these types of cases.

I don't believe the arguments have changed much since 2010. Most courts use the same deferential intermediate scrutiny standard used in the Heller II case.

I believe Kavanaugh explained back then why SCOTUS is unlikely to accept strict scrutiny as the appropriate standard.

That seems highly unlikely, for reasons Justice Breyer himself pointed out in dissent:
    Respondent proposes that the Court adopt a “strict scrutiny” test, which would require reviewing with care each gun law to determine whether it is “narrowly tailored to achieve a compelling governmental interest.” Abrams v. Johnson, 521 U.S. 74, 82 (1997); see Brief for Respondent 54-62. But the majority implicitly, and appropriately, rejects that suggestion by broadly
    approving a set of laws – prohibitions on concealed weapons, forfeiture by criminals of the Second Amendment right, prohibitions on firearms in certain
    locales, and governmental regulation of commercial firearm sales – whose constitutionality under a strict scrutiny standard would be far from clear.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I believe the language that SCOTUS is looking for is why the deferential intermediate scrutiny the lower courts use is not appropriate and what is the correct way to decide these types of cases.
    Yup, that's the core of the problem. So what lines of argument could be used to successfully attack the deference with the current SCOTUS?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Yup, that's the core of the problem. So what lines of argument could be used to successfully attack the deference with the current SCOTUS?

There are a number of things.

They need to challenge the government interest. While the government does have an interest in providing public safety, they do not actually protect people down to the individual level. They are actually taking away the ability of people to defend themselves, which negatively affects public safety contrary to what the government claims it is doing.

They need to directly challenge the data. All of the data provided is nothing more than correlation. They are not able to demonstrate that there is actual causation and that the effects of the law will actually accomplish what they are intending. Intermediate scrutiny requires more than speculation, which is really what a correlation without causation demonstrates. Speculation is appropriate for rational basis, but rational basis is not appropriate for these types of constitutional issues.

They also need to articulate why Turner deference is not appropriate. Turner was about policy and political matters rather than constitutional ones.
    ‘The powers of the legislature are defined and limited; and that those limits may not be mistaken, or forgotten, the constitution is written.’Marbury v. Madison, 1 Cranch 137, 176, 2 L.Ed. 60 (1803). Our respect for Congress's policy judgments thus can never extend so far as to disavow restraints on federal power that the Constitution carefully constructed. ‘The peculiar circumstances of the moment may render a measure more or less wise, but cannot render it more or less constitutional.’Chief Justice John Marshall, A Friend of the Constitution No. V, Alexandria Gazette, July 5, 1819, in John Marshall's Defense of McCulloch v. Maryland 190–191 (G. Gunther ed. 1969). And there can be no question that it is the responsibility of this Court to enforce the limits on federal power by striking down acts of Congress that transgress those limits. Marbury v. Madison, supra, at 175–176.” Nat'l Fed'n of Indep. Bus. v. Sebelius567 U.S. 519, 538(2012)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    And a bigger shocker will be the make-up of the panel...

It's only a petition for now. Hasn't been granted yet. Of course, the odds are that it will be, given that has been the 9th Circuit's practice. However, the composition of the 9th has changed some with Trump's appointees. So, wait and see.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    The problem

kcBrown pointed out the simple, basic problem 5 years ago:

“I looked at 18 appellate-level 2nd Amendment cases back in 2015 and found that Democrat-appointed judges sided against the right 100% of the time (and that was in 2015, when things were less polarized than they are today): “
    https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1335810&page=80 post 3180

“Democrat nominees at the appellate level have, thus far, sided against the right 100% of the time. Yes, you u read that right: there's not a single 2A case that has been decided at the appellate level thus far where a Democrat-nominated appellate judge has sided with the right, at least in the 18 appellate-level cases I have thus far examined. And, in fact, there is, that I know of, only one Democrat-nominated judge at the district level that has done so: judge Ishii in Silvester v Harris’”
    https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...&postcount=204”

Someone later pointed to an exception, which only highlights the norm.

Kennedy and/or Roberts (by blocking cert) put the icing on the Democrat judiciary’s cake. The obvious solution is a Trump victory.

Regards
    Jack

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    kcBrown a
    Kennedy and/or Roberts (by blocking cert) put the icing on the Democrat judiciary’s cake. The obvious solution is a Trump victory.

Absolutely.!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jcutonilli
    I believe the language that SCOTUS is looking for is why the deferential intermediate scrutiny the lower courts use is not appropriate and what is the correct way to decide these types of cases. YES

I don't believe the arguments have changed much since 2010. Most courts use the same deferential intermediate scrutiny standard used in the Heller II case.
    Not really understanding of deferential intermediate scruity!

I believe Kavanaugh explained back then why SCOTUS is unlikely to accept strict scrutiny as the appropriate standard. YES

That seems highly unlikely, for reasons Justice Breyer himself pointed out in dissent:
    Respondent proposes that the Court adopt a “strict scrutiny” test, which would require reviewing with care each gun law to determine whether it is “narrowly tailored to achieve a compelling governmental interest.” Abrams v. Johnson, 521 U.S. 74, 82 (1997); see Brief for Respondent 54-62. But the majority implicitly, and appropriately, rejects that suggestion by broadly
    approving a set of laws – prohibitions on concealed weapons, forfeiture by criminals of the Second Amendment right, prohibitions on firearms in certain
    locales, and governmental regulation of commercial firearm sales – whose constitutionality under a strict scrutiny standard would be far from clear.

Sir, I is not really clear that any scruity test is used. That is very evident by the Opinion in Wrenn v DC writtern by Griffith

Longstanding regulations aside, then, the Amendment shields at least the ability to carry common arms in self-defense for citizens who are commonly situated in the ways just mentioned. Yet the District's good-reason law bars most people from exercising this right at all. To be sure, the good-reason law leaves each D.C. resident some remote chance of one day carrying in self-defense, but that isn't the question. The Second Amendment doesn't secure a right to have some chance at self-defense. Again, at a minimum the Amendment's core must protect carrying given the risks and needs typical of law-abiding citizens. That is a right that most D.C. residents can never exercise, by the law's very design. In this way, the District's regulation completely prohibits most residents from exercising the constitutional right to bear arms as viewed in the light cast by history and Heller I.

and.
    We pause to draw together all the pieces of our analysis: At the Second Amendment's core lies the right of responsible citizens to carry firearms for personal self-defense beyond the home, subject to longstanding restrictions. These traditional limits include, for instance, licensing requirements, but not bans on carrying in urban areas like D.C. or bans on carrying absent a special need for self-defense. In fact, the Amendment's core at a minimum shields the typically situated citizen's ability to carry common arms generally. The District's good-reason law is necessarily a total ban on exercises of that constitutional right for most D.C. residents. That's enough to sink this law under Heller I.

Interestingly Henderson dissented.

Any again the dissenting Supreme Court says the same thing.
    ROGERS v. GREWAL
    It appears that a handful of States throughout the country prohibit citizens from carrying arms in public unless they can establish “good cause” or a “justifiable need” for doing so. The majority of States, while regulating the carrying of arms to varying degrees, have not imposed such a restriction, which amounts to a “a[n] on the ability of most citizens to exercise an enumerated right.” Wrenn, 864 F. 3d, at 666.

The question whether a State can effectively ban most citizens from exercising their fundamental right to bear arms surely qualifies as such a matter. We should settle the conflict among the lower courts so that the fundamental protections set forth in our Constitution are applied equally to all citizens.

Need an en banc for Malpasso. There is NO "compleling government interest in public safety" that over rides the Keep and Bear Arms" 2 A in Maryland. There is no good and substantial that over rides the 2 A to carry concealled for self defense in public any longer.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Absolutely.!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sir, I is not really clear that any scruity test is used. That is very evident by the Opinion in Wrenn v DC writtern by Griffith

and.

Interestingly Henderson dissented.

Any again the dissenting Supreme Court says the same thing.
    ROGERS v. GREWAL

The question whether a State can effectively ban most citizens from exercising their fundamental right to bear arms surely qualifies as such a matter. We should settle the conflict among the lower courts so that the fundamental protections set forth in our Constitution are applied equally to all citizens.

Need an en banc for Malpasso. There is NO "compleling government interest in public safety" that over rides the Keep and Bear Arms" 2 A in Maryland. There is no good and substantial that over rides the 2 A to carry concealled for self defense in public any longer.

One of the problems is that all the plaintiffs concede part of the case. Specifically, they acknowledge that the government has a compelling interest in public safety. They do not really address why "there is NO "compleling government interest in public safety" that over rides the Keep and Bear Arms"

What they need to do is challenge the government's interest in public safety. There are numerous cases that demonstrate that the government does not protect the individual and cannot fully protect the public. They also need to understand the societal impacts of an armed public and the public safety benefits that this provides.

Wrenn was not decided based on intermediate scrutiny, it was decided based on a categorical approach like Heller.

Deferential intermediate scrutiny is the type of intermediate scrutiny described by Kavanaugh in his Heller II dissent. The courts typically defer to the legislature over policy matters. They are not supposed to defer over legal constitutional matters. This is another problem with the way the plaintiffs have argued the cases. They challenge the data in a way that makes the court believe the case is really a policy matter rather than a constitutional matter.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    jcutonilli

Deferential intermediate scrutiny is the type of intermediate scrutiny described by Kavanaugh in his Heller II dissent.

okay. :thumbsup: Thank You. I will read that descent for sure.

One of the problems is that all the plaintiffs concede part of the case. Specifically, they acknowledge that the government has a compelling interest in public safety. They do not really address why "there is NO "compleling government interest in public safety" that over rides the Keep and Bear Arms"

How did this impact the case or did this cause the Henderson dissent?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    jcutonilli

okay. :thumbsup: Thank You. I will read that descent for sure.

How did this impact the case or did this cause the Henderson dissent?

It does not impact the case it impacts essentially every case. The cases appear to be a policy issue associated with public safety vs an individual that is still able to exercise the right in some capacity. It is not hard to see why judges would find for the government.

It really needs to be framed as a constitutional issue where the government does not really provide all of the public's safety vs the ability of the public to protect themselves in a way the government cannot.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Heller & the 2A

If it is conceded that Heller is an authoritative 2A case, then this stuff is not complicated:

Heller (it is “clear”) precludes balancing any “compelling” govt. “interest,” e.g., safety v. the 2A. Text, history, and tradition is the Heller mandated approach.*

Many assertions contrary to the plain language of Heller can be found among the 2A opinions of almost all Democrat and some Republican Judicial appointees. As pointed out by kcBrown the Democrats are almost completely united in their opposition to the 2A. Republican support is less than total.

Regards
    Jack

*“In Judge Kavanaugh's view, "gun bans and regulations" should "be analyzed based on the Second Amendment's text, history, and tradition (as well as by appropriate analogues thereto when dealing with modern weapons and new circumstances…" He did not think judges should "re-calibrate the scope of the Second Amendment right based on judicial assessment of whether the law advances a sufficiently compelling or important government interest to override the individual right." In his view, Heller had been clear that Second Amendment cases should be decided "based on text, history, and tradition, not by a balancing test such as strict or intermediate scrutiny." https://reason.com/2018/07/09/judge-kavanaugh-and-the-second-amendment/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom