• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I am reaching out to the community at large for help dealing with an issue with my boat. I have a 2007 SeaRay Amberjack 290 with twin IO Mercuiser 350MPI Bravo III Outdrives.

What I need is an experienced factory trained mechanic to help advocate for me on a simple repair that has turned into a nightmare. The basic background is I have a slow leak in the transom into the boat (water). It has been determined to me leaking through the top of the tansom plate where the steering shaft comes through. The rub comes in that I have been told by many mechanics that it most likely is a swivel shaft seal gone bad and possibly a bad swivel steering shaft, a $1,000 repair at worst. The current shop (will not name at this point) pulled my motor and "river" tested my boat to determine what I already knew was a leak. Then they told me with out pulling the transom plate that I needed a new transom plate to remedy the issue a $5,000 repair parts and labor. The determined this without even pulling the transom plate.

There is one other kicker, I brought my boat to this "reputable" shop on March 27th. They still haven't even pulled the transom plate to verify the cause of the leak but feel they can tell me by looking at the leak it requires total replacement of the transom plate.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    You don't need an advocate you need to get your boat back from said shop and take it somewhere else.
    If it was a Yamaha then I could help you out.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    You don't need an advocate you need to get your boat back from said shop and take it somewhere else.
    If it was a Yamaha then I could help you out.

I agree, but I need to find a shop to take it to. Seems to be a waste land when it comes to finding a decent IO mechanic.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Talked to my friend who is the Yamaha yep he said Mike Anthony is the area rep for merc but didn't have his contact info. He said to call mercury marine direct they should take care of you.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I will make the call. I have tried this route before with little success. Really would like to find a mechanic through a referral if possible.

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    A and M marine in Grasonville, they fixed up my Donzi many years ago. I would take back again, or you could call Bay Shore Marine In Annapolis, They mercruiser guy is awesome and they are mobile or you could bring it to them, however you will pay bert jabins storage fee.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Talked to my friend who is the Yamaha yep he said Mike Anthony is the area rep for merc but didn't have his contact info. He said to call mercury marine direct they should take care of you.

I called Mercruiser, they wouldn't give the area reps number but referred me to a few local dealers. They said the defer to the mechanic on site as to the best course of action but suggested I talk to another dealer for their opinion.

A and M marine in Grasonville, they fixed up my Donzi many years ago. I would take back again, or you could call Bay Shore Marine In Annapolis, They mercruiser guy is awesome and they are mobile or you could bring it to them, however you will pay bert jabins storage fee.

Thanks for the Tip, I will give Bay shore a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom