• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • You need a carry permit that is accepted in VA. I know they accept the Florida permit, not sure what other ones.

Look into open carry laws if you dont have a carry permit. I believe you can open carry in VA.

FYI they still have some signs posted saying that firearms are not allowed. You can ignore those, unless they are on a building. You cannot take a firearm into any of the park offices or stores

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If you have a Utah, you're good to go.

Check handgunlaw.us

I carry concealed in the GWNF without issue using my Utah CFP.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    If you have a Utah, you're good to go.

Check handgunlaw.us

I carry concealed in the GWNF without issue using my Utah CFP.

Yeah, I have kept being lazy and not getting my Utah. It is on my list. Need to bump it up higher.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I just finished backpacking through that entire park. Met one guy along the way open carrying.

There are indeed tons of sign on every store, campground office, wayside, info center, etc. that say you cannot bring it inside.

Given the amount of bears I ran into I personally wished I had a permit to carry there.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    OC is good to go in Shenandoah, just finished a series of calls with VASP, NPS and Shenandoah.

Shenandoah explicitly confirmed that OC is good to go in all the park save for buildings.

I asked about restrooms and they said "Each prohibited building will have a sign on it, so just check the restroom first".

Details on how it breaks down legally (in case you are interested):

Federal: NPS has no prohibition on firearms but defers to Shenandoah for more specific prohibitions:
    (link)
    (a) None of the provisions in this section or any regulation in this chapter may be enforced to prohibit an individual from possessing a firearm, including an assembled or functional firearm, in any National Park System unit if:
    (1) The individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and
    (2) The possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the National Park System unit is located.

State: VASP confirms Open Carry is legal statewide but defers to NPS for more specific prohibitions
    (link)
    May I “open carry” a firearm in Virginia?
    A firearm may be carried openly in Virginia except where prohibited by statute. Please refer to Sections 18.2-279 to 18.2-311.2. The Code of Virginia may be searched at http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm.

Park: Shenandoah has no prohibition against Open Carry in the park and defers to no-one (it was great to hear someone actually say something definitive finally : )
    (link)

Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    OC is good to go in Shenandoah, just finished a series of calls with VASP, NPS and Shenandoah.

Shenandoah explicitly confirmed that OC is good to go in all the park save for buildings.

I asked about restrooms and they said "Each prohibited building will have a sign on it, so just check the restroom first".

Details on how it breaks down legally (in case you are interested):

Federal: NPS has no prohibition on firearms but defers to Shenandoah for more specific prohibitions:
    (link)

State: VASP confirms Open Carry is legal statewide but defers to NPS for more specific prohibitions
    (link)

Park: Shenandoah has no prohibition against Open Carry in the park and defers to no-one (it was great to hear someone actually say something definitive finally : )
    (link)

Great info. :thumbsup:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The Credit Card act of 2010 had a rider on it that changed NPS rules. Nat. Parks now follow the rules of the state the park is in. In VA, with a valid permit you can CC. As mentioned, OC is legal in VA therefore legal in the Park.. The law also states thta carry into a building regularly occupied by federal employees and POSTED is illegal.

I found an old FAQ on another forum that may prove useful.

Attachments

• National Park Carry FAQ.doc
      34.5 KB · Views: 63

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is a couple guys complaining over on the DC forum that VA is running over 90 days for VA NR permits. They are apparently swamped with applications.

FYI.

ETA-my last renewal last Sept. took 75 days and I had to complain to them my old permit had expired even though I applied for renewal before the 60 day advice they gave on their web site.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    We do classes that cover VA, FL and Utah combined on a regular basis in Waldorf. Let me know what fits your schedule.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    We do classes that cover VA, FL and Utah combined on a regular basis in Waldorf. Let me know what fits your schedule.

Please PM me with scheduling info. It is time to get this done.

It was nice being in free America and doing OC pistol in a holster.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Please PM me with scheduling info. It is time to get this done.

It was nice being in free America and doing OC pistol in a holster.

Good deal :thumbsup:
    Utah doesn't play with turning around the permit either. I think I had it in hand in about a month from the time I took the class to getting it in the mail.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    regarding permit time, for my VA RESIDENT CCW (Loudoun county), the renewal took 2-3 weeks, received last week. no idea if that means anything for non-resident app or renewal but it's one data point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom