• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Unlike other posts here looking for people, I'm trying to help our 18 year old daughter find a part time job. She will be starting college this fall, but because of the virus, her classes are online and she'll be staying home instead of living on campus. She has been looking for a part time job to make some money while taking classes, but all her applications to retail jobs like Target, Aldi, and others were rejected. I think it's because she had not worked retail before, and her internship experience in a research lab last summer at Cornell make these companies think she's not a good fit.

If anyone know of a part time job in northern VA that an 18 year old can do, we would appreciate leads. She has a resume available for review.

thanks.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Retail stores get tons of applicants. I doubt the reason she is not getting hired has anything to do with her lack
    of retail experience.

If all else fails try having her apply to chic-fil-a. I have a friend who was going through some tough times and needed some extra money to make ends meet. At 40yrs old took a job there just working a register and drive through. He said they were one of the most well run and employee focused organizations he had ever worked for. They treated everyone with respect but also demanded that the employees also treat each other the same way.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Lowes & Home Depot often hire college kids to work registers. She might be called upon help out with the easier departments like paint and garden. If she is comfortable lifting up to 30 lbs or so she might want to check those places out.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    A lot depends on what she’s willing to do and what her school hours are. Some of these places I wouldn’t work for if they paid me double. Having to deal with masks, social distancing. Most PT jobs require a flexible work schedule. Good luck to your daughter.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    If she wants an entry level job at these retail stores, maybe ditch the whole resume to begin with? I imagine they receive actual resumes for less than half of their front line employee applications.

Or maybe dumb it down some?

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Costco is hiring for warehouses and depots. The hours may be overnight for a depot job but warehouse won’t start until 4 am. That’s the earliest. Could also be different hours depends on your location and where she’s applying if she does

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I think it's because she had not worked retail before, and her internship experience in a research lab last summer at Cornell make these companies think she's not a good fit.

Lol Nah.

One guess would be business needs don't meet the availability she put on her application.

Home Depot is pretty good with part time availability, but if you're applying for a sales floor position and you aren't available at least 1 weekend day, your application is never getting looked at.

I work a few hours a week at a Home Depot in a non sales floor job with limited availability. I can only work certain hours on certain days and it works for them, even being a lower volume store.

Keep applying but places like Home Depot's this is the time of year where they've released all the temp hires, some college people are gone and PT hours are cut in favor of FT hours. Less than a skeleton crew at the store

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    With all the businesses that have laid off people due to Rona I would imagine the places that are hiring have a ton of applications and can pick and choose.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    With all the businesses that have laid off people due to Rona I would imagine the places that are hiring have a ton of applications and can pick and choose.

Depends on location. The grocery stores here cant hire enough people. Someone laid off from a corporate job is probably not going to take a job running a register.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Depends on location. The grocery stores here cant hire enough people. Someone laid off from a corporate job is probably not going to take a job running a register.

The turnover in grocery stores is very high. Workers burn out and quit. Most of them are hiring all the time these days.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Consider looking around at opportunities to be a "teaching nanny" if she has flexibility in her own class schedule. There are TONS of families that are struggling right now to figure out how they are going to handle virtual school for their children and still work themselves. Could be a great part time position to sit with a couple kids and keep them focused on the computer/virtual work. I have several friends who have hired college age kids to help with this.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    but all her applications to retail jobs like Target, Aldi, and others were rejected. I think it's because she had not worked retail before, and her internship experience in a research lab last summer at Cornell make these companies think she's not a good fit.

If anyone know of a part time job in northern VA that an 18 year old can do, we would appreciate leads. She has a resume available for review.

thanks.

Be a bit more modest and dumb the resume or application down a bit. Research lab at Cornell is a giveaway she's temp at best so why train her?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom