• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    So I recently purchased my first center fire handgun (nice little used .357) and as somebody who is used to cheap rim-fire and pellet ammo for regular shooting reloading is looking attractive to let me fire more for less. At this point I'm just doing research online, looking at books to get, and looking at equipment to eventually get.
    The first easy question: what books/websites/other media would you recommend?

For casting, is there any reason not to reuse lead from rim-fire or pellet guns? I like shooting both and it feels like a waste to shoot it and not re-use it if it is safe.

Now the interesting one. What equipment/brands/etc should I steer clear of when I pull the trigger and start buying stuff?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Opinions/preferences differ on equipment, so I'm going to bypass that one.

Knowledge is power, so get all the reloading books you can manage, some loads may not be in some books but could be found in another.

Casting - I'm not into casting, so I couldn't say.

There's plenty of more experienced/knowledgeable reloaders than I here, so just keep checking back, they're sure to jump in soon enough.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    .38/.357 is perhaps the best caliber to start reloading on. (Not very original, though.)

Get The ABCs of Reloading, and a couple manuals. If you start with only one manual, I recommend Lyman's.

Light target loads in .38/.357 are cheap and very pleasant to shoot.

I like the Lee Turret Press- you can load one at a time in batches, keeping it simple while you learn, but you can also use the turret features to speed things up. Extra turrets allow you to switch dies, go from .38 to .30-06 easily.

I never cast for .38, but I used to cast minie balls for my musket, also round balls. You can reuse lead. I used to pick up bullets/minie balls from the backstop (try to time it for when people aren't shooting) and they were caked with dirt. Once you melt the lead, all the dirt floats to the top, even "very small rocks".

Use aluminum molds- much easier casting than with iron molds. You'll also need a way to lube and size- hmm- better get Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook- but stick to aluminum molds.

edit:

Looks like the Cast Bullet Handbook has been out of print for ages. You don' need no stinkin' book. Here's how you cast bullets:

1) Melt Lead
    2) Pour into mold
    3) ????
    4) Profit!

Last edited:

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    +1 on the Lymans and ABC's of reloading, both were the most highly recommended to me.

Like Brad said, equipment is a personal choice and really depends on how many calibers you think you may end up pressing, how much you want to spend, and how many rounds you would like to be able to produce in an hour. If I were trying to do it as cheap as possible but wanted to be able to crank out a good bit of quality ammo, my setup would be something like this:

Lee Pro 1000 progressive press $150-$180 depending on website/coupons
    Homemade shell feeder and bullet feeder (link below) $100 total
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9C3ru3FKV0&feature=plcp

You will also need a scale, dies, calipers, powder, bullets, primers and some other miscellaneous items as well which you will learn a lot more about when you start researching and reading some of the books.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    So I recently purchased my first center fire handgun (nice little used .357) and as somebody who is used to cheap rim-fire and pellet ammo for regular shooting reloading is looking attractive to let me fire more for less. At this point I'm just doing research online, looking at books to get, and looking at equipment to eventually get.
    The first easy question: what books/websites/other media would you recommend?

For casting, is there any reason not to reuse lead from rim-fire or pellet guns? I like shooting both and it feels like a waste to shoot it and not re-use it if it is safe.
    Now the interesting one. What equipment/brands/etc should I steer clear of when I pull the trigger and start buying stuff?

Most folks find airgun pellets (especially) and 22 pills (somewhat) are too soft when melted and used by themselves. Most air rifle pellets are pretty close to pure lead. Great for casting BP boolits. .22 lead is harder, but mixing them in with wheel weights a little at a time would be better than casting a whole pot of nothing but .22 spent pills.

tonyw

Feb 8, 2010
    AACo
    Pretty much what everyone else is saying. Except casting, I don't know anything about casting.

read read read, then when you think youre done reading. Read some more. Every time I start reading about reloading I pick up something new, even if its something small. The Lee book is good if youre going to use their powder delivery system(autodisk i think?). Actually its good all around, I used loads out of it for years.

As far as equipment it depends on how much volume you want to do and if youre going to expand calibers you load.

Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    Get the ABC's of reloading as a first book. It is good for the first timer because it lays it out very simply. However, don't look at the pic of the author until you are done reading it.

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I cast with recycled air gun pellets.

I use the lee tumble lube molds and do not size them.

They are very soft and you need to keep the velocity down around 800 fps. Which means they are great for light plinking rounds.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Quick question about the Pro 1000. Lee's website only list the following calibers;
    32 S&W Long or 32 H&R Magnum
    9mm Luger
    380 Auto
    38 Special (will load 357 Mag.)
    357 Magnum
    40 S&W
    10mm Auto
    41 Magnum
    44 Special (will load 44 Mag)
    44 Magnum
    45 ACP
    45 Colt

It looks like you buy the setup in whatever caliber you prefer. Are you limited to that caliber once you buy? Can you switch the plates like on a turret press or are you stuck with that one caliber?

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    It'll take any of those calibers, and probably more. It comes with a set of dies included in the cost and you can buy anything else you like for it.

Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press Kit 45 ACP

Additional Features:
    Comes with the roller handle upgrade
    Easily Changed over to other calibers
    There are numerous upgrades available for this kit to increase productivity
    For reloaders looking to reload more than one caliber this press is easily changed over. All that is needed is an extra turret and the appropriate shell plate carrier (sold separately), some cartridges might require the Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure Double Disk Kit (Item# 870920)

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    .38/.357 is perhaps the best caliber to start reloading on. (Not very original, though.)

Get The ABCs of Reloading, and a couple manuals. If you start with only one manual, I recommend Lyman's.

Light target loads in .38/.357 are cheap and very pleasant to shoot.

I like the Lee Turret Press- you can load one at a time in batches, keeping it simple while you learn, but you can also use the turret features to speed things up. Extra turrets allow you to switch dies, go from .38 to .30-06 easily.

I never cast for .38, but I used to cast minie balls for my musket, also round balls. You can reuse lead. I used to pick up bullets/minie balls from the backstop (try to time it for when people aren't shooting) and they were caked with dirt. Once you melt the lead, all the dirt floats to the top, even "very small rocks".

Use aluminum molds- much easier casting than with iron molds. You'll also need a way to lube and size- hmm- better get Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook- but stick to aluminum molds.

edit:

Looks like the Cast Bullet Handbook has been out of print for ages. You don' need no stinkin' book. Here's how you cast bullets:

1) Melt Lead
    2) Pour into mold
    3) ????
    4) Profit!

Sounds a bit like the underpants knomes!

topgun1sg

Nov 28, 2007
    Westminster
    If you decide to go with a progressive set up at first, don't waste your time or money on a lee, pay the extra for a used dillon 650 or better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom