• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gilo

Jan 20, 2019
    I just do not get why, given the wait times for form 4 vs form 1, somebody doesn't sell a complete suppressor kit.

They have many sites that sell Form 1 kits. if you do it right they are just as good as Form 4s if not better.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thats the way it goes with cans. You buy into a mount system. It not just DA, but all cans have adaptors for different calibers. The 5/8x24 thread adapter for my SiCo cans about the same price. So either pick QD mount and get one for each hosts or buy the thread adaptors. You still will have to spend money one way or another.

I’ve got an Omega 300 in NFA jail. Yup. Sorta sucks. I am a direct thread all the way kind of person. Honestly in looking at .223 bolt guns (only have ARs in 223) a selling feature is 5/8x24 threading so I don’t need to swap anything on the can. Make things simpler. I DID order a 1/2x28 Mount. So it’ll fit my .223 ARs (will likely live on my Howa mini 6.5 Grendel most of the time or my 6.5G AR)

At least I didn’t get the different end cap. .30 cal cap is just fine.

Don’t think I’ll QD it, even though it comes with the QD Mount and one muzzle device. Though I light out the device on my AR-10. Dunno.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have an Optimus, it's a good suppressor, but never really great, and can still cost a lot to configure for a lot of stuff. Ends up fairly long with rifle cal configurations at 8" and 9.5". Now waiting on a SiCo 36m to fill a standard and K config modular role similar to the Wolfman. I am happy with the Optimus as it is a perfectly good can, and helped me see exactly what I wanted in other cans. The Wolfman is cool, a little shorter or a lot shorter, it's great on PCCs, and you can use either the key micro or a Griffin Plan A mount with it. No real reason for buyers remorse, just might be best on a host you don't have yet, or might fill a more specialized role, and other cans will be better for most of the hosts you have now.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I’ve got an Omega 300 in NFA jail. Yup. Sorta sucks. I am a direct thread all the way kind of person. Honestly in looking at .223 bolt guns (only have ARs in 223) a selling feature is 5/8x24 threading so I don’t need to swap anything on the can. Make things simpler. I DID order a 1/2x28 Mount. So it’ll fit my .223 ARs (will likely live on my Howa mini 6.5 Grendel most of the time or my 6.5G AR)

At least I didn’t get the different end cap. .30 cal cap is just fine.

Don’t think I’ll QD it, even though it comes with the QD Mount and one muzzle device. Though I light out the device on my AR-10. Dunno.

If you ever think of selling the QD mount and muzzle device, I would be interested.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    No real reason for buyers remorse, just might be best on a host you don't have yet, or might fill a more specialized role, and other cans will be better for most of the hosts you have now.
    I think this is specifically why a lot of people on the internet may have so much heartburn with the Wolfman rollout. Dead Air made a phenomenal PCC can, and was like “oh by the way if you buy $250 worth of add ons that increase weight/length and then buy into our key micro length muzzle devices at $100 a pop then you can use it on a bunch of other stuff too.” People skipped past the part where it was designed as a PCC can and focused on the other part. The KeyMicro adapters have been contentious to get ahold of, and as far as I know only the KeyMicro muzzle devices and JMAC aftermarket micro sized muzzle devices fit.

For my part, I got exactly what I envisioned, a Fantastic PCC can with trilug, but then decided I could have used the same amount of money to buy a Rex ModX that would do a lot more. In retrospect, the ModX weighs about 20oz without muzzle device and adapter, and the Griffin Plan A for the Wolfman is really long, so maybe my impatience benefitted me in the long run. Saved myself about half a pound just in the suppressor, or the added length with the Plan A. Not like I have a shortage of other cans for my other rifles.

Incidentally, the Wolfman is supposed to be Dead Air’s best sounding can with .300blk subs, in case anyone wanted to use one for that.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I think this is specifically why a lot of people on the internet may have so much heartburn with the Wolfman rollout. Dead Air made a phenomenal PCC can, and was like “oh by the way if you buy $250 worth of add ons that increase weight/length and then buy into our key micro length muzzle devices at $100 a pop then you can use it on a bunch of other stuff too.” People skipped past the part where it was designed as a PCC can and focused on the other part. The KeyMicro adapters have been contentious to get ahold of, and as far as I know only the KeyMicro muzzle devices and JMAC aftermarket micro sized muzzle devices fit.

For my part, I got exactly what I envisioned, a Fantastic PCC can with trilug, but then decided I could have used the same amount of money to buy a Rex ModX that would do a lot more. In retrospect, the ModX weighs about 20oz without muzzle device and adapter, and the Griffin Plan A for the Wolfman is really long, so maybe my impatience benefitted me in the long run. Saved myself about half a pound just in the suppressor, or the added length with the Plan A. Not like I have a shortage of other cans for my other rifles.

Incidentally, the Wolfman is supposed to be Dead Air’s best sounding can with .300blk subs, in case anyone wanted to use one for that.

You should be an author. Your posts are always so well written lol.

My argument is that the wolfman is marketed as a subgun can, yet you can’t use it on 300blk sub guns, which are a huge part of the subgun market, without buying at minimum a 90 dollar thread adapter, and even then you can only shoots subsonic rounds through that.

So In reality, if you don’t drop AT LEAST 430 dollars additionally into the wolfman, you’ll never be able to run 300blk supers through it along with 9mm.

Which is ridiculous considering the sandman line, which costs 40 dollars more for a sandman s, comes with the qd system and a brake for it.

It’s almost insulting in my opinion that at a minimum, dead air didn’t include a 5/8x24 thread adapter to allow subsonic 300blk subgun use, for what this can costs.

I let them know that, very professionally and constructively in an email.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Just out of curiosity, I looked up a Wolfman since I am not familiar with it. It states its comes with a 1/2x28 (some 9mm and 22) and if you want to use it on anything else, you need to purchase additional mounts/adaptors.

On the website, it says multi caliber, which means multiple adaptors.
    "it’s a modular, multi-caliber suppressor. It specializes in subgun, light-duty rifle, and pistol use. "

All multi cal cans require multiple adaptors. Take a look at the Hybrid. It has about 30 different setups in which you can use it. Most will require some additional purchase. I got a whole box of parts for that. That includes pistons, ASR mounts and thread adaptors.

I am sorry if you felt misled, but it is stated right on the website it's intended use and has the list of adaptors that are available.

I understand your concern. I have one can I bought on a whim (read I was called and offered an incredible deal). I did not know it was intended to be run wet and used wipes. My bad for not researching it. But for the price. I am ok with that. I still use that can on occasion.

Maybe you ask them to swap the mount out.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Just out of curiosity, I looked up a Wolfman since I am not familiar with it. It states its comes with a 1/2x28 (some 9mm and 22) and if you want to use it on anything else, you need to purchase additional mounts/adaptors.

On the website, it says multi caliber, which means multiple adaptors.
    "it’s a modular, multi-caliber suppressor. It specializes in subgun, light-duty rifle, and pistol use. "

All multi cal cans require multiple adaptors. Take a look at the Hybrid. It has about 30 different setups in which you can use it. Most will require some additional purchase. I got a whole box of parts for that. That includes pistons, ASR mounts and thread adaptors.

I am sorry if you felt misled, but it is stated right on the website it's intended use and has the list of adaptors that are available.

I understand your concern. I have one can I bought on a whim (read I was called and offered an incredible deal). I did not know it was intended to be run wet and used wipes. My bad for not researching it. But for the price. I am ok with that. I still use that can on occasion.

Maybe you ask them to swap the mount out.

I knew what I was getting, but am irritated after the fact, if that makes any sense. The more I thought about it and researched sandman s cans and others that can do so much more out of the box, and come with qd right from the factory for similar cost, I had buyers remorse. I’m sure once I decide to drop half the cost of another can into it, it will be a decent can.

I simply think the claim of multi cal is kind of hollow, as you literally can’t shoot ANYTHING else out of this can but 9mm with out further investment. I however just think I made a bad choice in this can. I don’t blame dead air, I blame me. I do however think they should include the 300blk thread adapter for what they ask for $ wise for this can.

I’ll stop bitching about my experience, I was wondering if others had similar thoughts or experiences as well. It appears it was just my dumb ass lol.

Dead air says no .22 out of this can btw, I asked lol.

m1carbine

Mar 10, 2015
    This is often a no-win situation. 9mm barrels are threaded with many different thread patterns depending on the manufacture; 1/2-28, 1/2-30, 1/2-36, 5/8-24, 13.5mmx1LH.

My suggestion is to set it up on the host you want to potentially permanently pair it with and then start looking for the next suppressor to purchase. Silencer shop currently has the Yankee hill r9 listed for $359. https://www.silencershop.com/yhm-r9.html

The resonator 30 call can is more expensive at $535 but is a better suppressor for 223 and 30 cal. https://www.silencershop.com/yhm-resonator.html

They come into stock periodically and you can sign up for an alert, that what I did last month for the r9 and now have the wait started.

Suppressors are like potato chips, it hard to just have one.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

I already have 30 and 9mm cans, primarily was in the market for a modular K can to run on my short SBR and braced pistols. Wanted something short with decent performance, but liked the ability to add the full length extension if I wanted to keep subs really quiet. Initially looked at the Wolfman, but as you say, the plan A adds an inch, so even in K config it ends up near the size of my explorr or the nomad. The keymo and micro systems are awesome, but add a lot of cost, weight and length, being DA tends to have little space between the mount and blast baffle they can't be too far inside the can. The YHM N20 was also a consideration, but the barrel length minimums are too long for a few.of my favorite SBR ARs.
    Ended up going with the 36M with planA for that reason. I think if you are deep in 9mm PCCs, the Wolfman with tri-lug is the way to go. If you want to use it on rifle cals more, then other options are better. Considering the cost of outfitting the Wolfman for 3 lug and keymicro setups, could probably buy a YHM R9 AND a resonator for close to the same cost.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    You should be an author. Your posts are always so well written lol.

My argument is that the wolfman is marketed as a subgun can, yet you can’t use it on 300blk sub guns, which are a huge part of the subgun market, without buying at minimum a 90 dollar thread adapter, and even then you can only shoots subsonic rounds through that.

So In reality, if you don’t drop AT LEAST 430 dollars additionally into the wolfman, you’ll never be able to run 300blk supers through it along with 9mm.

Which is ridiculous considering the sandman line, which costs 40 dollars more for a sandman s, comes with the qd system and a brake for it.

It’s almost insulting in my opinion that at a minimum, dead air didn’t include a 5/8x24 thread adapter to allow subsonic 300blk subgun use, for what this can costs.

I let them know that, very professionally and constructively in an email.
    Thank you for your compliment. I do my best to be thoughtful when I post. Probably causes a lot of people to skip over all my various walls of text, but I can’t change who I am.

Dead Air is good people, but they are Engineering and Marketing people. Their entire brand is structured around getting you to adopt the Dead Air lifestyle, so the likelihood they are going to throw in a bunch of accessories like Griffin Armament does with their modular cans is unlikely (and actually GA has cut way back since I bought my Optimus back in the day). That’s where all Dead Air’s profit is.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you ever think of selling the QD mount and muzzle device, I would be interested.

Roger that. Probably won't know soon though. ATF cashed my check back in October right before Halloween. Seems to be running around 6 months, give or take a little right now. So if I am pretty lucky, I might be able to take possession in April and I'll likely want to play with it on a few guns for bit.

I am trying not to get too fixated on April though, they could decide mine is going to take the full year+. It would be nice though as it would mean I waited less than a full year between cans (I picked up an Element 2 back last May after waiting on it for 9 months). Been figuring out what I want for a pistol can, and no, I don't need suggestions right this second.

But I am leaning towards a 45 caliber can, possibly modular, that can be used on at least a 357 16", 44 mag 16" and 45lc 16" on top of standard handgun cartridges out of a handgun (9x19, 45acp. Might be nice to handle 45 super and 10mm, but not as concerned there. For a handgun, it is really just going to be a range toy, but I do want it capable of handling likely straight wall cartridges I might use for hunting from a rifle. If I do decide I want it on a bedside gun, well a 9mm or 45acp is sufficient gun for me and I don't want supersonic ammo in a house with a can, so 45 super and 10m capability are superfluous).

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Thank you for your compliment. I do my best to be thoughtful when I post. Probably causes a lot of people to skip over all my various walls of text, but I can’t change who I am.

Dead Air is good people, but they are Engineering and Marketing people. Their entire brand is structured around getting you to adopt the Dead Air lifestyle, so the likelihood they are going to throw in a bunch of accessories like Griffin Armament does with their modular cans is unlikely (and actually GA has cut way back since I bought my Optimus back in the day). That’s where all Dead Air’s profit is.

Small caveat, the sandman will work over top of any micro brake bought for the wolfman series. So it doesn’t hurt so bad if you plan on buying into the sandman series at some point.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Small caveat, the sandman will work over top of any micro brake bought for the wolfman series. So it doesn’t hurt so bad if you plan on buying into the sandman series at some point.
    Yeah, you can use any KeyMicro sized muzzle device on anything set up for KeyMo. So Sandman KeyMo series, or any suppressor you’ve got set up for KeyMo with an adapter. Just no full sized KeyMo muzzle devices on KeyMicro suppressors (so far that’s just the discontinued Wolf, Wolfman, and Ghost).

ctnsupra1

Nov 22, 2008
    Buy another can every 3-6 months so you'll trickle them in at a steady interval. After 30+ NFA items, the only thing I regret is waiting so long to dive in.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Wow what timing.... I have a AAC 762-SDN-6 and it's a fantastic can that is supper durable. The only problem is finding the AAC 51T muzzle brake so I can swap it between rifles. They are now 100% unavailable in the .30 cal 5/8x24 thread pitch. Even used they are like hens teeth. Now it's time for me to invest in another can for my other rifles. I hate this sh-t.

If anyone has a lead on one I'd love to buy it.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Wow what timing.... I have a AAC 762-SDN-6 and it's a fantastic can that is supper durable. The only problem is finding the AAC 51T muzzle brake so I can swap it between rifles. They are now 100% unavailable in the .30 cal 5/8x24 thread pitch. Even used they are like hens teeth. Now it's time for me to invest in another can for my other rifles. I hate this sh-t.

If anyone has a lead on one I'd love to buy it.
    Not to dissuade someone from buying a new suppressor or anything, but you should probably get ahold of this fellow:

Nick (ECCO Machine and Fabrication)
    (303) 990-7953
    eccomachine@yahoo.com

He will convert your AAC can to the mounting system of your choice for a very reasonable price.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Not to dissuade someone from buying a new suppressor or anything, but you should probably get ahold of this fellow:

Nick (ECCO Machine and Fabrication)
    (303) 990-7953
    eccomachine@yahoo.com

He will convert your AAC can to the mounting system of your choice for a very reasonable price.

Howdy and thanks for the tip! I may just go this route and see if I can find a good solid readily available mount that he can convert it to work with. I think I could sell off all my AAC 51T mounts in 58x24 and 1/2x28 to cover the cost. Used they are at stupid prices even before COVID.

Again, thanks!

gregscott

May 25, 2018
    Went with the Griffin Recce 7 the mounting system works great on several platforms and calibers and full suto rated if that day ever comes. And I built one which also
    takes care of business. The built one is a little bigger but weighs less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom