• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I have a Mask 22, Octane 45 HD, and Omega 30 already in my hands.

But I'm looking for something to handle bigger centerfire - dreaming of a 350 Legend or maybe 44Mag for straight-wall hunting.

Silencerco told me my Octane 45 will be ok with subsonic 350 Legend, but still thinking I want something more stout.

Appreciate your thoughts - maybe the Octane 46?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a Mask 22, Octane 45 HD, and Omega 30 already in my hands.

But I'm looking for something to handle bigger centerfire - dreaming of a 350 Legend or maybe 44Mag for straight-wall hunting.

Silencerco told me my Octane 45 will be ok with subsonic 350 Legend, but still thinking I want something more stout.

Appreciate your thoughts - maybe the Octane 46?

I would stick to the brand/mount you have, probably ASR or at least something with compatibility. You already have good all-around cans covering most things, so it comes down to what they don't do. Figure a K sized pistol/rifle or PCC, and big bore rifle. That kinda comes down to an Omega 36M or Hybrid 46. Should verify with Sico, but last I heard the Octanes were rated up to 357 and 44 mag, so could probably use on leverguns with a fixed spacer now. The big question is what do you want more? a lightweight, compact modular can that can serve as a full or K up to 9mm bore including magnum rifle cals, OR a large 45cal with a little worse suppression that can handle up to 45 cal magnum rifle cals. If you were deep into 458 socom, 450 bushy or so, then the 46, but if you will stick to a 36cal bore, especially if you can use what you got for pistol cal big bore, then DEFINITELY the 36M. I'm waiting on one myself, it offers a lot, and the K config is nice.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Silencerco 36m, Hybrid 46, Griffin Armament Bushwacker 46 Gen2, Rex Silentium mk7/mk10 .358/.458, or Rex ModX .358/.458 would all be good choices depending on how abusive you want to be with them. All can be used with the SilencerCo mounts, if you want to stick with those.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Silencerco has also confirmed for me that my Octane is good for 44Mag with a 16" barrel, so I think the Omega 36M is where I will probably land to get me into the 350 game.

Now I just have to find one.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Silencerco has also confirmed for me that my Octane is good for 44Mag with a 16" barrel, so I think the Omega 36M is where I will probably land to get me into the 350 game.

Now I just have to find one.

It's an awesome can, but took me 2 months to get one off of backorder, still waiting on the F4, but can't be in a hurry when you get into NFA stuff. I have a few cans already, and my hosts use Griffin taper mounts on rifles / 3 lug on PCCs. Wanted a K can, really liked modular stuff like the Rugged micro 30, but needed a modular mount to fit my existing stuff. Figured 9mm compatibility is a bonus, and doesn't seem to affect performance compared to cans with 30cal baffles.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I have a .450 Bushmaster AR-556 BUT the factory subsonic 395 gr Hornady ammo doesn't meet MD requirements for deer hunting (min 1200 ft-lbs energy at muzzle). Pretty much need about a 500 gr pill to meet that in a subsonic load.

For an airgun you only need 400 ft-lbs for deer.

Almost like they were purposely trying to keep .357 Mag and most .44 Mag from qualifying...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a .450 Bushmaster AR-556 BUT the factory subsonic 395 gr Hornady ammo doesn't meet MD requirements for deer hunting (min 1200 ft-lbs energy at muzzle). Pretty much need about a 500 gr pill to meet that in a subsonic load.

For an airgun you only need 400 ft-lbs for deer.

Almost like they were purposely trying to keep .357 Mag and most .44 Mag from qualifying...

Only subsonic 357 and 44 mag.

A 44 mag from 16” barrel most kids will make it
    That aren’t plinking.

357 mag is tough, but a few of the really hot 158 and 180gr loads will make 1200ft-lbs from a rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom