• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have been full impressed with my Mosin.

OT: Did you have any problems or tricks as a lefty? My buddy was trying to shoot the Mosin last weekend and did not have a lot of luck.

Not at all. I bring it up at a slight angle and reach over and work the bolt. It's something that I have been used to as a lefty. Luckily, it pitches the shells far enough that I don't get a face full of hot brass.

Unspoken

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 11, 2010
    Ambassador of GA
    So would a Mosin 91/30 be another good choice? Whats the recoil like? I mean, im pretty good at handling 12 gauge recoil, so is it any worse than what ive experienced with my 870? I would LOVE a cheap gun with a punch with relatively cheap ammo.

Also, August, i'd get another shotgun but I wanna get some other kinds of firearms first. Then it will all come full circle to getting another shotgun, this time with wood furniture. :D Also, sweet flag hat! :lol2:

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Not at all. I bring it up at a slight angle and reach over and work the bolt. It's something that I have been used to as a lefty. Luckily, it pitches the shells far enough that I don't get a face full of hot brass.

That makes sense. I do not know what he was doing wrong. Thanks.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    So would a Mosin 91/30 be another good choice? Whats the recoil like? I mean, im pretty good at handling 12 gauge recoil, so is it any worse than what ive experienced with my 870? I would LOVE a cheap gun with a punch with relatively cheap ammo.

Also, August, i'd get another shotgun but I wanna get some other kinds of firearms first. Then it will all come full circle to getting anothe rhsotgun, this time with wood furniture. :D Also, sweet flag hat! :lol2:

Thanks for the "flag hat" comments. It's a bit top heavy, but it looks neat :D

The Mosin recoil, for me at least, it nowhere near what folks told me it would be. If you can handle a 12ga, then a Mosin is a breeze.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The Mosin recoil, for me at least, it nowhere near what folks told me it would be. If you can handle a 12ga, then a Mosin is a breeze.

+1
    I read all of the internet lore about the Mosin recoil, blah, blah, cry, cry. :rolleyes::lol2:

The recoil is not bad at all and I am no tough guy, lol. I had a light bruise. It is less recoil than an 870. The shorter Mosins are supposed to recoil a bit more, but I would not see that as a huge issue. I am shopping for another one right now.;)

Unspoken

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 11, 2010
    Ambassador of GA
    +1
    I read all of the internet lore about the Mosin recoil, blah, blah, cry, cry. :rolleyes::lol2:

The recoil is not bad at all and I am no tough guy, lol. I had a light bruise. It is less recoil than an 870. The shorter Mosins are supposed to recoil a bit more, but I would not see that as a huge issue. I am shopping for another one right now.;)

Well thats reassuring! I still have a bit of trouble controlling 000buck, but 00buck is getting pretty easy to manage. Ill definetly look into a Mosin. What kind of ammo should I expect to feed it? Should I be looking for a 91/30?

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Buy a good .22 and learn how to shoot. Then move up to a centerfire. In the end, you'll be shooting the .22 more often anyway.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I use the surplus ammo that I bought with the gun at a show. I am 90% sure it is this stuff:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76254R&groupid=40

The upside of 7.62x54r surplus ammo is it is super cheap. The down side is it is usually corrosive. This means you have to clean the gun after shooting. I do not think that is a big deal as I like to see how my guns work.

The 91/30 are the most common. Everyone should own at least one. You might also consider ordering your C&R license. That will make it easier to buy a Mosin Nagant online or at a gunshow.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    If you want a quality .22 to start with, go on gunbroker and pickup a Mossberg Model 44 or a similar model. These were the training rifles used by the Army during WWII to train infrantry before they put the full .30-06 in their hands. My grandfather gave me his and its a shooter no doubt. Parts are a little scarce but Havlin sales supplies almost any part you could want for it and if they don't have it they'll fabricate it for you.

See here: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=189074920

And here: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=189120477

The only downside is a the 7 rnd. mag.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    What .22 would you suggest? Ive fire .22 rimfire and was pretty accurate, IMHO. Always room for improvement though!

That depends on your personal tastes. CZ makes very good and relatively inexpensive bolt guns. If you can find a mint Remington 541S you have a winner for sure. In an autoloader, it's hard to beat a Ruger 10-22. There is more aftermarket stuff for that gun than anything else on the market. A standard 10-22 makes a great plinker and it's cheap. Or, you can build it into a super race gun. All depends on what you intent to do with the gun.

Gaius Baltar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 7, 2010
    since you are looking for something in the bolt action, i would go with the .223... big enough round to do damage and is accurate... plus, many choices of ammo...

if you are not stuck on getting a bolt action, i would take a strong look at saiga in .223/x39, and my sleeper would be a sks (norinco)... can be fun firearms, and kick ass for shtf...

dlharsh

Feb 13, 2010
    Windsor Mill
    That depends on your personal tastes. CZ makes very good and relatively inexpensive bolt guns. If you can find a mint Remington 541S you have a winner for sure. In an autoloader, it's hard to beat a Ruger 10-22. There is more aftermarket stuff for that gun than anything else on the market. A standard 10-22 makes a great plinker and it's cheap. Or, you can build it into a super race gun. All depends on what you intent to do with the gun.

I'd look for a nice used Remington 541 or 581. Great shooters and they hold their value as they don't make them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom