• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    "A recent training exercise revealed that this pepper spray presents a significant risk of causing eye injuries to subjects who are exposed to this product," said state police Trooper Maria Finn.
    In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue.

Will they take away their duty weapons next?

"Stop, or I will say 'stop' again more forcefully". :sad20:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    "eye injuries" probably means owwww mommy it hurts. ive been sprayed mulitple times for training. sure does suck, but isnt that the point? whats next, no patrol cars? no vest? "we are now not allowing officers to wear a vest because it isnt fair to the criminals who are just robbing to feed their families".

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Meh...probaby just not the right brand.

Can probably find another brand that would keep everyone happy.

When you start looking at workman comp claims/civil right lawsuits because your officer got into a knock out drag out fight...the spray is a very attractive alternative.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    That is what they have tasers for.

Tasers and OC spray are on the same level as far as use of force is concerned. It's nice to have the option. In a crowded bar or school, you don't wanna go spraying everywhere if its only one individual where a taser can be utilized. But OC spray is the great "persuader". If someone isn't cooperating and you need them to, simply bring up the spray. Happens all the time when you are trying to handcuff someone who's fighting back. Someone says its time to spray him and they hear it, usually that takes the fight out of them.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This isn't an issue of PASP telling officers they are no longer authorized to carry OC, it's basically a department issued recall. Whatever brand of OC gets the contract not only provides units for officer defense/use on threats, but units for training and use on officers too. The police need a spray that is reliable, powerful, acts quickly, has good spray patterns, and has 0 permanent effects. The brand that has the current contract does not meet those needs, specifically "no permanent damage", it has been shown to produce lasting injuries in officers after the intended short-term effects end, and will be replaced primarily for officer safety. It really isn't much different than the recent Ammo recall (win ranger IIRC), the ammo had a defect, and will be replaced, the difference was that the reporter didn't title that article "police no longer allowed to carry ammunition!!!".

Eastcoasttj

This is gonna hurt
    Sep 22, 2012
    Baltimore
    I read it to mean a recall as well. I wouldn't think that they would get rid of all spray because of this. Def agree with indiana about the spray taser thing too. Tasers not good in all situations. On a side note, been hit with both many a time. Much prefer the taser :D

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Apples and Orangutans. In this instance the OC performed correctly, but the judge ruled that the police shouldn't have used it aggainst the students, and were liable for their use of force.

:thumbsup: Exactly! The argument was the inappropriate USE of pepper spray by the officers upon the students. Nothing about bad pepper spray, although of course, several students CLAIMED to have suffered permanent effects, i.e. poor grades, assorted physical ailments etc.(want some 'Obama money'?), after being sprayed. I would challenge anyone to find hard, scientific data to support the claim that capsaicin in a vapor form (or any form) can cause permanant physical damage after a 1-time exposure. The University settled with the students.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    :thumbsup: Exactly! The argument was the inappropriate USE of pepper spray by the officers upon the students. Nothing about bad pepper spray, although of course, several students CLAIMED to have suffered permanent effects, i.e. poor grades, assorted physical ailments etc.(want some 'Obama money'?), after being sprayed. I would challenge anyone to find hard, scientific data to support the claim that capsaicin in a vapor form (or any form) can cause permanant physical damage after a 1-time exposure. The University settled with the students.

Yea ,posting that in this threadd looks misleading, the OP refers to a poorly titled article about PASP issuing a department recall on OC spray, due to lasting injuries suffered by officers. Cjl7's post "Just heard about this on the news. These guys got a $30k settlement for getting sprayed." does not refer to the injured officers in the OP article or anything to do with it, the article is about students that got sprayed during a protest winning their lawsuit aggainst the police. It really doesn't belong in this thread.

There have been instances in the early days of OC spray causing permanent damage, although the capsaicin AFAIK was never at fault, it was the carrying fluid, dyes, oils(one early formula used light weight peanut oil and caused alergic reactions) additives, propellants and other "inactive" ingredients. Some OC sprays used a flammible light oil or alcohol as a carrier, and static, tazers, or other ignition sources caused a few criminals and police to burst into flames. All in all OC spray has been proven about as safe as any effective weapon ever has, literally millions of people are sprayed, many as required training, some sprayed in defense, and the modern formulas only have a handful of instances of alergic reactions or long-term injury. In the OP's article, this is part of the reason these sprays are tested so frequently, a problem with the formula was identified, and is being corrected.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Makes me glad I was never required to carry that on duty. My escalation of force continuum was a very simple "Shout, shove, shoot." Or just "shout, shoot" if the ROE was spelled out clearly.

Hopefully they can get a better tool in there that meets the requirements.

Eastcoasttj

This is gonna hurt
    Sep 22, 2012
    Baltimore
    Oh we got sprayed at least once a year, but I was never required to carry the stuff (.mil). Thinking about it gets my eyes watering and nose running a bit.

Oh man, thank god I only had to do that one time. That was bad enough, forget every year.

cjl7

Apr 2, 2012
    Yea ,posting that in this threadd looks misleading, the OP refers to a poorly titled article about PASP issuing a department recall on OC spray, due to lasting injuries suffered by officers. Cjl7's post "Just heard about this on the news. These guys got a $30k settlement for getting sprayed." does not refer to the injured officers in the OP article or anything to do with it, the article is about students that got sprayed during a protest winning their lawsuit aggainst the police. It really doesn't belong in this thread.

There have been instances in the early days of OC spray causing permanent damage, although the capsaicin AFAIK was never at fault, it was the carrying fluid, dyes, oils(one early formula used light weight peanut oil and caused alergic reactions) additives, propellants and other "inactive" ingredients. Some OC sprays used a flammible light oil or alcohol as a carrier, and static, tazers, or other ignition sources caused a few criminals and police to burst into flames. All in all OC spray has been proven about as safe as any effective weapon ever has, literally millions of people are sprayed, many as required training, some sprayed in defense, and the modern formulas only have a handful of instances of alergic reactions or long-term injury. In the OP's article, this is part of the reason these sprays are tested so frequently, a problem with the formula was identified, and is being corrected.

Im sorry, I didn't mean to be misleading. I wasn't trying to assert that these were related in that way. I just had heard about that settlement case, and thought of it while I was reading the other article. Thought you guys might also find that one interesting. My fault, shouldn't have combined the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom