I looked forward for so long to get my new .40 S&W Shield, but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    After searching all over the place for many months, finally finding one and then waiting for the MSP "not disapproved" blessing, I finally picked up my .40 S&W Shield a couple of days ago. I cleaned it up and went out to the range today. I was a little concerned that a pistol that small would be very snappy and hard to control in the .40 configuration but was very pleasantly surprised at how civilized it was, at least in my hand.

But then about half way through the first box of ammo (AE 180 gr) it wouldn't return to battery. I tried to eject the unfired round in the chamber but could not pull back the slide. I then inspected what I could see on the outside of the pistol and noticed the slide end cap had slipped down about 1/64" thus not allowing the slide to return to battery and also not allowing the slide to be pulled back. A gentle nudge on the end cap to get it back where it belonged got the slide into battery and I was able to fire it again.

All went well for a couple of magazines, but then it happened again. Since I knew what it was, I just pushed the end cap back into place and then just started checking the end cap after very shot.

Out of two boxes of ammo I fired through it, the miscue occurred several times. When I got home, I called S&W customer support and the guy was very sympathetic because he said I was going to have to ship it back to them for warranty repair and he guessed that I had probably waited a long time to get it.

So after having this gun in my possession for a whopping four days, it will be back out of my possession for another 3-4 weeks. Well, it is Monday so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That sucks OP.

I've got 2 M&P's myself, and I've never had that issue with either one.

Hope S&W makes it right, and you don't get soured by this experience. Looks like you just happened to get one that wasn't 100% right out of the factory.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    That does suck!

S&W will take care of you and might even hook you up with an extra mag or two for your troubles.

Good Luck!

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    After searching all over the place for many months, finally finding one and then waiting for the MSP "not disapproved" blessing, I finally picked up my .40 S&W Shield a couple of days ago. I cleaned it up and went out to the range today. I was a little concerned that a pistol that small would be very snappy and hard to control in the .40 configuration but was very pleasantly surprised at how civilized it was, at least in my hand.

But then about half way through the first box of ammo (AE 180 gr) it wouldn't return to battery. I tried to eject the unfired round in the chamber but could not pull back the slide. I then inspected what I could see on the outside of the pistol and noticed the slide end cap had slipped down about 1/64" thus not allowing the slide to return to battery and also not allowing the slide to be pulled back. A gentle nudge on the end cap to get it back where it belonged got the slide into battery and I was able to fire it again.

All went well for a couple of magazines, but then it happened again. Since I knew what it was, I just pushed the end cap back into place and then just started checking the end cap after very shot.

Out of two boxes of ammo I fired through it, the miscue occurred several times. When I got home, I called S&W customer support and the guy was very sympathetic because he said I was going to have to ship it back to them for warranty repair and he guessed that I had probably waited a long time to get it.

So after having this gun in my possession for a whopping four days, it will be back out of my possession for another 3-4 weeks. Well, it is Monday so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad...

Did she say they new what was going on with it?

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Did she say they new what was going on with it?

The rep I spoke to at S&W did not have a clue. But it is not a one-of. I found another guy on another bulletin board with the same exact problem. He was trying to figure out how to fix it himself (?!). I have dealt with S&W customer service before and while time consuming, they have been good at honoring their warranties and seemed to genuinely care about making my gun purchases right.

I did find out that the way the end cap is removed is by moving the plastic sleeve (with a small center-punch or similar tool) in front of the striker spring forward (away from the end cap. If I had to guess, the shock of firing the pistol was enough to move that sleeve forward enough to dislodge the end cap and allowing it to fall down. Either way, it obviously should not happen.

Did you have any of the mag-drop issues while shooting?

No mag-drop issues... so far. I think those occurred when the gun first came out and has since been rectified but I won't be able to find out until I get mine back from being repaired for the end cap issue. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom