• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I'm sure this has been discussed before but after searching the Depot, Water Closet, Handguns and Rifles sections I couldn't seem to find what I am looking for.

I have at least one handgun that I no longer have an interest in and would like to sell it. I would like to go the MSP transfer route rather than selling it on consignment or listing it with Gun Broker, etc.

Assuming I find a buyer and we agree on a price, I think the process would be to agree to meet at an MSP barracks (pistol stays in my car and MSP comes to it to inspect it), have the buyer fill out all the necessary forms, and assuming everything is ok, effect the transfer after eight days. During those eight days, I hold onto the pistol and at the end, I hand over the pistol and the buyer pays for it? Or does the buyer need to pay at the time he/she fills out the transfer papers?

Any help from someone who has gone through this process recently would be appreciated.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    You've got the process and steps correct, I've done it several times. Only things is, make sure you have an informed buyer, showing up with no HQL is a show stopper. Also, you will NEED to have a check or M/O for the fee. The MSP has stated they can't be trusted to handle cash (their words, not mine)

As far as paying? I usually like a deposit, something enough to keep the buyer interested and not stray mid process, say. $100 bucks or so. Balance at time of actual transfer.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Thanks for the response. I knew about the HQL requirement but I'm glad you reminded me again. Also, does the fee need to be paid by the seller or buyer? Or is it up to the parties to decide (and obviously agree to before arriving at MSP)?

You've got the process and steps correct, I've done it several times. Only things is, make sure you have an informed buyer, showing up with no HQL is a show stopper. Also, you will NEED to have a check or M/O for the fee. The MSP has stated they can't be trusted to handle cash (their words, not mine)

As far as paying? I usually like a deposit, something enough to keep the buyer interested and not stray mid process, say. $100 bucks or so. Balance at time of actual transfer.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks for the response. I knew about the HQL requirement but I'm glad you reminded me again. Also, does the fee need to be paid by the seller or buyer? Or is it up to the parties to decide (and obviously agree to before arriving at MSP)?

Up to the seller. I'd prefer to make the buyer pay, it's his paperwork, his money if for some reason he comes back disapproved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom