• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    These are either all or mostly commercial watermen. Not a cross section of anything...

Let me give you another article to help make my point. Six charter boat captains charged with game violations in a DNR sting last year. Names mostly sound "American"

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/...iped-bass-violations-following-investigation/

Those charged in the investigation are:

Brian Councell, Chestertown, operator of vessel Sea Dux:

Failure to use non-offset circle hooks while live-lining or chumming for striped bass (6 counts)

James Harris, North Beach, operator of vessel Compensation:

Possessing croaker less than 9 inches total length.
    Failure to comply with condition of pilot program permit (two counts)
    Possessing more than 15 pounds of fish whose size cannot be determined
    Failure to use non-offset circle hooks while live-lining or chumming for striped bass (6 counts)
    Failure to retain carcasses of filleted striped bass until arriving dockside
    Possessing striped bass less than 19 inches total length.
    Mutilation of striped bass carcass to the extent that the total length or species cannot be determined

John Reynolds Sr., Marydel, operator of vessel Retirement Fun:

Possessing striped bass less than 19 inches total length
    Using more than 2 hooks per line while using active line fishing gear (6 counts)

John Motovidlak Sr., Wittman, operator of vessel Dawn Marie:

Exceeding the summer-fall striped bass possession limit
    Failure to use non-offset circle hooks while live-lining or chumming for striped bass (3 counts)
    Mutilation of striped bass carcass to the extent that the total length or species cannot be determined

William Eason, Oxford, operator of vessel Dana-Kat:

Failure to use non-offset circle hooks while live-lining or chumming for striped bass (8 counts)

Jesse Bolton, Dunkirk, operator of vessel Wild Goose:

Exchanging a striped bass in possession to possess another striped bass (1 count)

If convicted of these offenses, first-time offenders face a maximum fine of $1,000, and second-time offenders face $2,000. Those charged also face the potential suspension or revocation of fishing privileges and removal from the pilot program.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Let me give you another article to help make my point. Six charter boat captains charged with game violations in a DNR sting last year. Names mostly sound "American"

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/...iped-bass-violations-following-investigation/

Those charged in the investigation are:

Brian Councell, Chestertown, operator of vessel Sea Dux:

James Harris, North Beach, operator of vessel Compensation:

Possessing croaker less than 9 inches total length.
    Failure to comply with condition of pilot program permit (two counts)
    Possessing striped bass less than 19 inches total length.

John Reynolds Sr., Marydel, operator of vessel Retirement Fun:

Possessing striped bass less than 19 inches total length
    Using more than 2 hooks per line while using active line fishing gear (6 counts)

John Motovidlak Sr., Wittman, operator of vessel Dawn Marie:

Exceeding the summer-fall striped bass possession limit
    Failure to use non-offset circle hooks while live-lining or chumming for striped bass (3 counts)

William Eason, Oxford, operator of vessel Dana-Kat:

Failure to use non-offset circle hooks while live-lining or chumming for striped bass (8 counts)

Jesse Bolton, Dunkirk, operator of vessel Wild Goose:

Exchanging a striped bass in possession to possess another striped bass (1 count)

If convicted of these offenses, first-time offenders face a maximum fine of $1,000, and second-time offenders face $2,000. Those charged also face the potential suspension or revocation of fishing privileges and removal from the pilot program.

Okay, I see the point(I think :D).

It's always been held that the commercial guys always get away with just a slap on the wrist and a '...don't ever do this again...".

I'm not seeing any fines on there(I admit not reading every dirty little detail), just around a year suspension? I realize they can't 'work' for a year, but still seems kinda lenient.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Okay, I see the point(I think :D).

It's always been held that the commercial guys always get away with just a slap on the wrist and a '...don't ever do this again...".

I'm not seeing any fines on there(I admit not reading every dirty little detail), just around a year suspension? I realize they can't 'work' for a year, but still seems kinda lenient.

Nah, imagine not being able to earn a living for a year. That itself is a huge "fine". Now, for those that were revoked, they had better start looking for a new line of work, because they are not getting their license back for a long, long time, if ever.

You have gotten the point though. Those really worried about the resource wouldn't be irate about a couple Hispanics that caught a couple fish over the limit, they would be really, really irate about how badly the commercial fisherman exploits the resource. However, that does not fit the narrative of "Hispanics bad - Caucasians good".

I wonder how many Hispanic thieves it takes to equal a single Madoff.

Plus, races tend to hang out together. I usually hunt and fish with Italians and Greeks, couple "white boys" here and there. lol

Pretty sure if DNR rolls up on a group, the members of the group would probably be "alike".

Anyway, the largest damage to our resource is usually done by the commercial guys.

I could look up the court cases for those "white boy" cases I posted and figure out what their fines were, but that would take me forever. They probably feel like they are "entitled" to the resource because they were born in America. They are true Americans.

Wonder if the white man blamed the American-Indians for the near extinction of the Bison.

Regardless, there is usually one or two DNR links a summer here about Hispanic-Americans poaching fish.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The majority sound Italian.

Nope, not even close. Want to see what an Italian party looks like:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1995-09-06-1995249073-story.html

We did have a token "white man" with us. He was borrowing my dad's Auo-5 and hunting without a license. So, my dad's gun was confiscated. We eventually got the gun back though.

To this day, my mom still mentions the "Golden Dove".

Had to actually attend a character review interview before they would let me sit for the bar exam. Probably would have gotten off easier had I just punched somebody in the face.

So happy they have changed the law and hunting over bait is no longer a strict liability offense.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

We did have a token "white man" with us. He was borrowing my dad's Auo-5 and hunting without a license. So, my dad's gun was confiscated. We eventually got the gun back though.

Had to actually attend a character review interview before they would let me sit for the bar exam. Probably would have gotten off easier had I just punched somebody in the face.

So happy they have changed the law and hunting over bait is no longer a strict liability offense.

Not bad. Looks like only one Sicilian...:innocent0

:D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nah, imagine not being able to earn a living for a year. That itself is a huge "fine". Now, for those that were revoked, they had better start looking for a new line of work, because they are not getting their license back for a long, long time, if ever.

You have gotten the point though. Those really worried about the resource wouldn't be irate about a couple Hispanics that caught a couple fish over the limit, they would be really, really irate about how badly the commercial fisherman exploits the resource. However, that does not fit the narrative of "Hispanics bad - Caucasians good".

Plus, races tend to hang out together. I usually hunt and fish with Italians and Greeks, couple "white boys" here and there. lol

Pretty sure if DNR rolls up on a group, the members of the group would probably be "alike".

Anyway, the largest damage to our resource is usually done by the commercial guys.

I could look up the court cases for those "white boy" cases I posted and figure out what their fines were, but that would take me forever. They probably feel like they are "entitled" to the resource because they were born in America. They are true Americans.

Wonder if the white man blamed the American-Indians for the near extinction of the Bison.

Regardless, there is usually one or two DNR links a summer here about Hispanic-Americans poaching fish.

I am in agreement there. And on the other thing, those watermen have a pretty tight network(not saying that's a bad thing) so a year off may sound worse than it really is. But I'll leave that for others to debate.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Yeah, and the bias shows too. Not a single person with a Hispanic name in those articles was said to be here illegally. Just a lot of biased people ASSUME that they are here illegally because they have a Hispanic sounding name.

I can only imagine what my parents had to endure with their Italian names when they immigrated here in the 50s. I noticed some derogatory stuff sent their way by people when I was growing up, but that was after they had been in the country for 20+ years, knew how to speak English, and had become citizens. My mom worked as a legal secretary at Richard Nixon's law firm. Hard to believer they gave a job like that to an "illegal".

Pretty sure my dad took work away from some "Americans" because he worked pretty cheap and had three sons helping him for sandwiches, Coke, and Snickers.

Good thing those names aren't Muslim sounding though. We would have to worry about terror bombers instead of job stealers.

Without question there is bias. My folks came here from Poland in the 50s. Changed their surname since Polish is near impossible to pronounce for somebody unfamiliar with the language. Was there bias? Yup. Is there bias? Yup. Will there be bias? Yup? Will that ever change? I doubt it. Something that has definitely changed is the immigration policy of this country with the state of Maryland being a big benefactor. :sarcasm:
    It's really not that much of a stretch to develop said bias. I'm biased. Freely admit it to my wife and her family - Colombian born and bred recent (20+- year) LEGAL immigrants like your folks, my folks, and many others.

Edit: Can immigration status be disclosed? I am of the understanding that LE cannot ask about or ask for proof of immigration status. IANAL

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

My FIL was involved in a case years ago. Someone was unhappy with the area he drew on APG, and dumped a bunch of corn in the water overnight. His hunting party went out and “someone” conveniently called DNR to report them. No shock, they find bait in front of the blind.

Luckily the 4 people included my FIL (an attorney), another attorney, and 2 federal judges. It didn’t go far. My FIL was a straight and narrow guy when it came to waterfowl. They ended up catching the guys who baited the blind. This was in the 70’s.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    :lol: I'm guessing they just go fish and don't bother to pay the state for the privilege. Hell, they can't even be bothered to put their trash in a trash can. :sad20:

I certainly hope they hit them with heavy fines though - that's the only thing that will get their attention. Of course, few will ever pay them.

That said a large number of my neighbors can’t be bothered to either in Western Howard county. I’d guess maybe 1/3rd put their trash in cans up by the main road (it’s from the 20 odd folks who live off the private road back in the neighborhood). Every trash day there is about a garbage bag worth of trash strewn around from poorly bagged crap and animals getting in to bags. I’ve cleaned it up a couple times and that stuff always used to blow in to my front yard when I lived two houses down from it.

I’d be willing to blame a neighbor or two, but it’s more than half of them.

Probably all of the horse ladies.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012

Sounds like someone has a little bit of "white guilt" going on...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Any body caught poaching period, should loose their privilege's for life along with hefty fines. No quarter.

No, put them in jail. You really think that poachers (who are by very definition breaking the law) care if they can’t get a fishing license?
    That’s no different than telling someone who’s prohibited from owning guns that they can’t get an HQL anymore. Do you really think that they give a sh*t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Luckily the 4 people included my FIL (an attorney), another attorney, and 2 federal judges. It didn’t go far. My FIL was a straight and narrow guy when it came to waterfowl. They ended up catching the guys who baited the blind. This was in the 70’s.

I'm pretty sure had that been me and the guys I hunt with we'd have gotten the Full Monty

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ...still not seeing a racial(social, economical...) mechanism here. Maybe if I get a good night's sleep...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom