• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome to MDS I've-got-my-Permit .

Stop on by the Introductions subforum and introduce your self. You know we're curious about your Screen name.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I have bought about all the old ComBloc milsurp that I want, the last thing I picked up was an EG Makarov. But there are those old S&W revolvers, plus still thinking about a Luger. As well as old sporting rifles, as was mentioned.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    As a licensee, you may be inspected once a year if BATFE wishes to do so. They may choose to inspect your bound book or collection or both. YOU have the option of doing the inspection at their office or your licensed premises. My experience many years ago was that, when they notified me that they wanted to do and inspection, I asked when they wanted me to bring my collection into their Baltimore office. They decided to just look at my book and I never heard from them again. ;)

Could this be a reason to not renew? If you have five or six rifles, who cares. But what if you have 100 rifles? If you let it expire, then apply again with a new book, wouldn't it be easier to have them inspect and/or you bring a handful of rifles instead of your whole collection? And I mean the handful of rifles that are on the new book?

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I let mine expire last April. I had not regretted it at all until I just got the sudden urge to own an old Remington Auto 5. I still think it will be worth it to just buy at a gun show and wait the half hour for the approval instead of waiting a couple months for the license.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I got my C&R right after I turned 21 in 2014. Unfortunately most of the deals were already gone. It still hurts that I missed out on the CZ82s. I've bought a $100 T53 and a couple p64s from sog but other than that all I've gotten is a nice shooter model 10 and a mint husqvarna 30-06 from some secondary dealers.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'm mainly using my C&R for sporting rifles and shotguns as well as non-military arms that made it over here. Dealing with individuals on the various auction and sale sites can be difficult at time (many are reluctant to send to C&R at first) but I've found some nice items over the past few years that have helped me to make the renewal decision.

chetjp

Mar 22, 2014
    AA county
    I mailed my renewal in a few weeks ago. ATF has cashed my check. It should not be long now. I love old firearms and having them shipped right to me.:drool:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    They already know about it. I have a letter from Washington Headquarters specifically stating that the laws don't apply to you after you let your license expire. When you refile, it is just like starting over.

It's not the BATF that I worry about knowing, it's the OTHERS who will look for any and all reasons to make our lives harder.

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    I just renewed my C&R for the 4th time. I am now mostly collecting guns from the early 1960's and there are a few deals to be had with less popular sporting arms, and I am always watching for fair priced military surplus.
    I also have been audited by BATFE back in 2008 a few months into the OBAMA admin. The agent came to my home for the audit and matched every SN in my bound book to my guns. This took about 2 hours and then he said that he wanted to review all the laws and regulations for C&R, but because I had the FLU that day, he decided I already knew the rules of having a C&R and left.

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    Mine will expire the month before I retire. Will let is go then and reapply after I move (out of Maryland).

I plan to do the same thing when I get to retire and move to a truly free state!

Unfortunately that is still 10 years away and a lot can change in 10 years, as in I may have to get out of MD sooner if it keeps going the way it has been.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    I plan on getting one in 2019. That way any firearm w/o a serial number (aka pre-1968) is easy to recognize. I sort of like old single shot 22s and shotguns.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I plan on getting one in 2019. That way any firearm w/o a serial number (aka pre-1968) is easy to recognize. I sort of like old single shot 22s and shotguns.

Then you sir, are going to be able to go on a buying spree! With the exception of a few specific firearms in that realm, you can buy most C&R .22 single-shots for sub $200 all day long if you know where to look. C&R shotguns are what I've gotten into recently. It's an interesting world, especially now that early gas-operated guns and short-recoil/floating chamber guns are squarely in the C&R realm now.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Also stuff with pre-68 format serial numbers since the GCA required each firearm to have serial number that's unique from any other gun the manufacturer or importer made/imported. Stuff like Colts and Rugers have a clear serial number format change at the time and they started adding prefixes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom