• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Can anybody tell me something about this pistol? Thoughts, opinions, knowledge, etc... Anything that would help me learn more about it would be appreciated. 20210305_172557.jpg

python

Apr 15, 2010
    The alloy frame is fairly weak which makes it susceptible to cracking and stretching. Even Colt suggested sending them back to be checked out after a certain round count (1k or 2k?), but they won't touch them now. Don't shoot it a lot. Definitely no +P. Alloy frame revolvers are accidents waiting to happen and can become paper weights without warning. Sell it and get a Detective Special. Exact same design, except it's all steel. Good luck.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Mine is a few years older, and does not have the ejector shroud. I've put maybe 100 rounds through it. Standard .38 Special is fine for occasional shooting. The frame stretching needed checking after 1000 +P rounds. It's meant to be carried a lot and shot little. Like most pocket guns. I like mine, it is light for what it is, and carries easy.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Fiddy bucks DA buddy. That’s a family deal.

It’s not a bad example.

As noted by others, not known for its strength. Cannot take a pounding; either hot rounds or lots of rounds down range.

I find them to be a classic. Not strictly a showpiece but not a frequent shooter either. Today’s hotter loads, even in 38, will stress her more than was intended.

A show horse more than a plow horse or race horse.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The alloy frame is fairly weak which makes it susceptible to cracking and stretching. Even Colt suggested sending them back to be checked out after a certain round count (1k or 2k?), but they won't touch them now. Don't shoot it a lot. Definitely no +P. Alloy frame revolvers are accidents waiting to happen and can become paper weights without warning. Sell it and get a Detective Special. Exact same design, except it's all steel. Good luck.

Not quite correct. Colt said to have the frame checked for stretching after every 1000 rounds of +P use. There are no such restrictions with the use of standard pressure rounds. There's nothing wrong with aluminum frames...sounds like global warming alarmist talk.

The Cobras are excellent small revolvers but with the light weight you get increased felt recoil. I have a Cobra I carried as my off-duty piece when restricted to revolvers...occasionally a Detective Special but the Cobra far more often.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Not quite correct. Colt said to have the frame checked for stretching after every 1000 rounds of +P use. There are no such restrictions with the use of standard pressure rounds. There's nothing wrong with aluminum frames...sounds like global warming alarmist talk.

The Cobras are excellent small revolvers but with the light weight you get increased felt recoil. I have a Cobra I carried as my off-duty piece when restricted to revolvers...occasionally a Detective Special but the Cobra far more often.

They would never get past 1K rounds of +P without cracking. Colt's aluminum frame was weaker than Smith and Wesson's, and the S&W frame was crap with even standard velocity ammo, long before +P existed.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Thank you for your honestly.

I picked it up because it was a snake gun and it was a good price. Another MDS member was with me that knew a bit about what to look at in a snake gun. He gave it a good to go and that cobra found a forever home. Haven't been able to find a python or anaconda in the condition I want at the price point I want, so I did this.

At some point, I'd like to link up and pick your brain about some things. Let me know.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    They would never get past 1K rounds of +P without cracking. Colt's aluminum frame was weaker than Smith and Wesson's, and the S&W frame was crap with even standard velocity ammo, long before +P existed.

"Crap" - don't think so. I have a well used Model 12 that's fired a lot of standard velocity ammo (no +Ps during my tenure of ownership but who knows what the original owner put through it) and it's still tight and showing absolute no stress issues. Aluminum/alloy frames aren't the same as steel, but then they weigh half as much if you're going to carry it. I'm old enough to remember the bias against anything but steel frames and further, against polymers in autos. Use the gun the way it was intended and it will out last you.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A lot of misinformation about ammunition. Years ago the .38 Special round was downloaded by ammunition makers due to the large numbers of cheap quality guns flooding the market. Today's .38 Special +P is essentially the standard .38 Special from many years ago. The standard .38 today is downloaded from several generations ago.

The +P designation didn't come about until the 1960s or '70s. Colt only certified their aluminum frame revolvers from post-'72 as they never tested their prior aluminum frame guns with +P.

I've seen photos of aluminum frame Colts that had the top strap ruptured and even blown off...but that was from use of +P+ ammunition. I know someone who against all warnings has used +P+ is his aluminum framed Colt...it hasn't harmed the gun...yet. Cobras and Agents are perfectly safe with standard pressure rounds. What can happen with them is with enough shooting they can go out of time but that was considered normal wear and can be fixed by stretching the hand. What caused aluminum frame guns to crack is trying to replace the barrel improperly without the use of tooling designed for it. When re-barreling a steel frame revolver isn't tough for someone who knows how but can easily break an aluminum frame. Basically...don't do it.

The myth that Colts aren't durable seems to live on.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    A lot of misinformation about ammunition. Years ago the .38 Special round was downloaded by ammunition makers due to the large numbers of cheap quality guns flooding the market. Today's .38 Special +P is essentially the standard .38 Special from many years ago. The standard .38 today is downloaded from several generations ago.

The +P designation didn't come about until the 1960s or '70s. Colt only certified their aluminum frame revolvers from post-'72 as they never tested their prior aluminum frame guns with +P.

I've seen photos of aluminum frame Colts that had the top strap ruptured and even blown off...but that was from use of +P+ ammunition. I know someone who against all warnings has used +P+ is his aluminum framed Colt...it hasn't harmed the gun...yet. Cobras and Agents are perfectly safe with standard pressure rounds. What can happen with them is with enough shooting they can go out of time but that was considered normal wear and can be fixed by stretching the hand. What caused aluminum frame guns to crack is trying to replace the barrel improperly without the use of tooling designed for it. When re-barreling a steel frame revolver isn't tough for someone who knows how but can easily break an aluminum frame. Basically...don't do it.

The myth that Colts aren't durable seems to live on.
    So no +p+ ammo through it if I want it to stay in one piece. Got it.

Limit the amount of +p ammo in it. Check.

The cylinder locks up tight with virtually no wobble.

The only real issue is that the firing pin is loose. That shouldn't be too hard to fix/replace.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The firing pin has play by design...vertical play but not side-to-side. There's a solid rivet there holding it in...probably not visible as it's polished smooth with the sides of the hammer. If you look real close you might be able to make out the pin...kind of a ghost circle.

Also...no point in using +P ammunition anyway. Much of the added velocity is wasted in a 2" barrel...more flash than go. You're better off finding ammunition made for short barrel guns...most ammo makers have it...if you can find any. Actually a very good compromise round for self-defense are match wadcutters...easy to shoot...accurate and the sharp edges for cutting through body and organs.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    So no +p+ ammo through it if I want it to stay in one piece. Got it.

Limit the amount of +p ammo in it. Check.

The cylinder locks up tight with virtually no wobble.

The only real issue is that the firing pin is loose. That shouldn't be too hard to fix/replace.

HOW loose?

You're aware that this pin will have some up and down movement, as it is designed to pivot?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I bought Mrs Biggfoot a Cobra on our wedding day . Yes, She picked it out, she's an experienced shooter , prefers revolvers , and if she already had a .41Mag , no issues about recoil from a .38.

Call it circa 1974 for +P . SAAMI started their work on the subject circa '72, but by '74 the new methodology was formalized and in general use . In certain circles there is spirited debates about actual pressures and velocities from factory .38spl of different eras . The problems stem from a couple directions .

Back then consumer chronographs were $$$ , and few people had them .

Before SAAMI protocols of velocity measurements from 4 in Vented test bbls , the various mfgs used widely different methods , and advertised velocities emphaized Advertising value more than actual velocities .

But occasionally people will aquire full boxes of ammo , seemingly stored in good condition for interviening years , and sacrifice some of them for science over chronographs .

Definitive statements :

1930's to early 1950's .38-44 was indeed hot stuff , with 158 @ 1100 plus .

Late '50s to the end of factory designation .38-44 was diminished , @ somewhat over 1,000.

Mid to late '70s +P was running 50-75 fps faster than mainstream '80s up +P .

Period "normal" 158 lead rounds in modern chrono testing have a variety velocities , and can't really generalize . But frankly back when they all used 158 RNL , there wasn't much difference in terminal performance between 750fps and 900fps .

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Paul scarlatta, who knows something of guns (particularly older guns) wrote in shooting times that the early, aluminum frame colt cobra could take more std pressure .38 sp rds than the average shooter could put thru one in a life time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom