• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I think i saw a thread on this, cant finf it.

If married spouse wishes to move/transfer a handgun to a spouse what is involved.

Thank you in advance.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I did this in February this year. You fill out the info online. They don't charge the 10$ fee & you don't have to go to the barracks

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I did this in February this year. You fill out the info online. They don't charge the 10$ fee & you don't have to go to the barracks

Can't say for handgun, but AR lower was handled as stated above. Same as a voluntary registration.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I need to know why the need would arise. If both are living in the same house, what's yours is mine and mine is yours. I could be wrong, but I don't see the need to do a transfer.

YMMV

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I did mine because we've been separated for 8 yrs and she bought a Ruger LCP and left it with me when she went on vacation and never mentioned it again. She's become quite I'll and has no use for it so I transferred it to me online.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy

pardon my dense-ness, but do you fill out the 77R online or is there a diff form for this? MSP website sucks ass for usability.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    The person receiving the gun must have an HQL. Before this electronic only transfer came about, you could receive a gun without an HQL only if it was an inheritance. Don't know if that still applies. I know it did before as I did it recently at an MSP barracks.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The transfer as a gift/inheritance is free in MD if you go through the portal (waiving the $10 MSP fee)... however the recipient must be an HQL holder to receive handguns.

To an above poster's inquiry, if you are married what does it matter who "owns" it on paper? Outside of Federal NFA items which might require a trust for collective family use, MD isn't (that) bad quite yet.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    The transfer as a gift/inheritance is free in MD if you go through the portal (waiving the $10 MSP fee)... however the recipient must be an HQL holder to receive handguns.

My wife and I both received separate handguns via inheritance a couple years ago. We did the transfer at an MSP barracks and neither of us had an HQL at the time. I now have an HQL and had to use it to do the gift transfer between us via the portal. Don't know if that applies to an inheritance now.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia

To an above poster's inquiry, if you are married what does it matter who "owns" it on paper? Outside of Federal NFA items which might require a trust for collective family use, MD isn't (that) bad quite yet.

She owns it. I dont have an HQL. I refuse.
    She wants to give it back to me. I gave it to her before the HQL ********.

Why? discussion is beyond this board. There are reasons.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    pardon my dense-ness, but do you fill out the 77R online or is there a diff form for this? MSP website sucks ass for usability.

You use the 77R portal as mentioned. No 10$ fee and no trip to the barracks. They consider it transferred when you submit all of the information

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    She owns it. I dont have an HQL. I refuse.
    She wants to give it back to me. I gave it to her before the HQL ********.

Why? discussion is beyond this board. There are reasons.

Did you just let her have it or did you actually do a transfer into her name? If the handgun was bought by you and she only used it, that could be considered loaning and not an actual transfer.

This only works if the handgun has been in your name the entire time.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Did you just let her have it or did you actually do a transfer into her name? If the handgun was bought by you and she only used it, that could be considered loaning and not an actual transfer.

This only works if the handgun has been in your name the entire time.

We discussed her learning firearms. I took her to on-target to find her comfort point. (Sig-Sauer ACP380)

I took her to a gun store let her pick. I paid cash, she past the background. The gun ways always hers. My plan to get her comfortable with firearms failed. The weapon resides in my safe.

It was agreed it should go to me. Maryland is making this so hard.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Choice #1 - Change your stance, and get HQL.

Choice #2 - Sell the gun, and do whatever with the $$

Choice #2.5 - Give it to deserving person with a need , but no $ .

Choice #3 - Karma !

Conspicuously absent - You acquiring it w/o either HQL , or the wife dieing .

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I keep reading the title, and I know what a mouse gun is, but never heard of a spouse gun. Probably just need some coffee this morning, though. :innocent0

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I would like to thank the board for the help.

Synopsis.

I need the HQL to receive it in Maryland, MSP wont grant a waiver.
    She can FFL transfer it out of state.
    I can move out of state then she can transfer it to me.

MD Sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom