• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Correct me if I'm wrong , but you do need a Dr note for MM card . That's why there are all the roadside signs advertising for ( presumably ) telephone consultations to get one .

All those places have a "doctor" that they contract with. You talk with the doctor for a few minutes, answer a few questions correctly and he whips out his well-used rubber stamp.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    All those places have a "doctor" that they contract with. You talk with the doctor for a few minutes, answer a few questions correctly and he whips out his well-used rubber stamp.

I am employed and because marijuana is federally illegal we are not permitted to be a rubber stamping provider. I have not had a single patient be turned down no matter how inane their complaint. Some people truly benefit from using it, and have stopped opioid pain medication. Most, are sleeping better and having fun on the weekends.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I am employed and because marijuana is federally illegal we are not permitted to be a rubber stamping provider. I have not had a single patient be turned down no matter how inane their complaint. Some people truly benefit from using it, and have stopped opioid pain medication. Most, are sleeping better and having fun on the weekends.

And I sleep better knowing they aren’t armed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

Also, marijuana as a medicine should be though of as different than a recreational drug.

My opinions of the medical benefits changed when I talked to a PMHNP that prescribes marijuana. He explained that he can prescribe more accurate doses than what you get on the street. For example, I used to think medical marijuana was just an excuse to get high. But he said that instead of the 13% THC version you get on the streets, he can prescribe a 1-2% THC with a high dose of CBD that would likely have a more calming effect with little if any high. CBD definitely works, but I believe it needs a small percentage of THC to work properly, and the legal maximum is currently only 0.3% THC for over the counter CBD.

There are a lot more options with medical marijuana as a controlled prescription versus just smoking the plant you get from a drug dealer. More control over dosing obviously would be great for people with anxiety that really want to calm down and don't want any actual drug high.

Many are probably armed. It's just that they have had their constitutionally guaranteed 2a rights violated and will most likely need to stick to the "cold dead hands" philosophy at their own risk.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not a good thing , for anybody to be armed when they are actually drunk, stoned, high, etc . But most people who occasionally drink don't stay blasted 24/ 365 , or remain drunk for a year after their last drink .

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

Seems like more people are prone to violence when they are drunk vs. high on marijuana. Now, they might get a little frustrated opening up a bag of Doritos, but that’s not exactly violence.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD

Id rather someone smoking pot hunting for the TV remote be armed than the angry drunk guy at the end of the bar. I mean I havent smoked it since high school and it may be different but I remember doing 30-mph on 695 thinking I was going like 80mph oh and I used to stop for stop signs and wait for them to turn green.

I am not worried about the dude with a Doobie I am worried about the drunk guy telling people hes gonna beat thier asses and shoot them.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    On March 7, 2019, the Maryland Senate passed a bill, SB97, that would allow Maryland medical cannabis patients to own a firearm. The vote was 46-0 by the full Senate after the Senate Judicial Proceedings committee passed it by 11-0 on March 1. In doing so, Maryland has deviated from the policy of most medical cannabis states; a ban on patients owning guns or at least restrictions on where they can purchase them.

The bill has bipartisan support from Senator Michael Hough (R) and Senator Robert Zirkin (D). The bill reads as follows:

“A person may not be denied the right to purchase, possess, or carry a firearm under this title solely on the basis that this person is authorized to use medical cannabis under title13, subtitle of the health-general article.”

j5689

Feb 3, 2017
    Riva, MD
    Unfortunately that bill never made it all the way through in time, but it is surprising that it was able to pass unanimously in the senate, perhaps that bodes well for the House if it were to make a comeback in 2021.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    On March 7, 2019, the Maryland Senate passed a bill, SB97, that would allow Maryland medical cannabis patients to own a firearm. The vote was 46-0 by the full Senate after the Senate Judicial Proceedings committee passed it by 11-0 on March 1. In doing so, Maryland has deviated from the policy of most medical cannabis states; a ban on patients owning guns or at least restrictions on where they can purchase them.

The bill has bipartisan support from Senator Michael Hough (R) and Senator Robert Zirkin (D). The bill reads as follows:

“A person may not be denied the right to purchase, possess, or carry a firearm under this title solely on the basis that this person is authorized to use medical cannabis under title13, subtitle of the health-general article.”

Yes, the bill passed the Senate....Now for the the basic middle school civics lesson...

It never passed the House
    The bill was thus never sent to the Governor to be signed.
    The bill never became law.
    So, NO Maryland did not deviate "from the policy of most medical cannabis states; a ban on patients owning guns or at least restrictions on where they can purchase them."

There endeth the lesson.

Agrippa

Dec 12, 2008
    This is hilarious. Someone comes on to ask a specific question about how to secure their 2A rights and they get such a lovely reception. Is it any wonder that it's hard to get moderates in this state to even consider different opinions on 2A issues?

Anyway, for those who've stumbled onto this dumpster fire and would like some answers, here ya go.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MDGuns/com.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Last edited:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    This is hilarious. Someone comes on to ask a specific question about how to secure their 2A rights and they get such a lovely reception. Is it any wonder that it's hard to get moderates in this state to even consider different opinions on 2A issues?

Anyway, for those who've stumbled onto this dumpster fire and would like some answers, here ya go.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MDGuns/com.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Mr (Miss?) Agrippa,

You came here in 2008, and didn't post until 2010. You took umbrage at some AGC replies (perhaps with good cause), and went on a 10 year hiatus.

You did get a good reply to your 'WTB GSG/Sig 1911-22 magazines" on Sept 18, but nix.

The cannabis issue has been discussed quite a bit, but the search function is lacking here.

Thick skin is a plus on MDS, as many suckbots troll here (I am the biggest suckbot to ever draw breath).

I hope you will stick around, and perhaps even post in the Introductions thread so we can know you better.

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

I will not be crass and say 'hugs, not drugs', as I know pain is most painful, and most every damn day, I am in pain.

If you stick around long enough for Fat Larry to free us from prison, and there is a MDS meet-up, I will be pleased to buy you the beverage(s) of your choice.

Kirk eruby out.

christy20657

Jul 31, 2020
    The same happened to my husband and I. Found out after taking the HQL class, getting finger printed AND submitting our application to the state of Maryland and each person took the funds....the application asked us, we said yes...that should have stopped the process....Nope, took the fee and came back denied. No way around it, there is a vote before congress to decriminalize marijuana which would open things up a bit but then you got reckless users out here owning guns. My thing is, the HQL should have informed us, the MMC should have informed us we would lose our 2nd amendment rights and the Maryland state police should have informed us.....$600 wasted between the two of us.

Edited for clarity.

Got a medical cannabis card for legit medical issues. Wasn't aware of 2A limitations. I have yet to actually use it.

Has anyone actually had success surrendering an unused card and obtain HQL and firearm without waiting a year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom