• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Well, your mom was already using the one I wanted....

loose%2Bcalc.jpg

:lol2:

Back on topic: Eagle Arms done messed up.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Some of your examples though legislators did step in to limit or control things. Or regulatory bodies.

Hot tubs can't be set over a certain temperature because of scald risks. They generally have timers too. A user has to almost be intentionally circumventing things to put themselves at risk (improper installation or doing things like intentionally resetting the temp high).

Home improvement stores by law and regulation do certain things.

You might not notice, but anything in an aerosol dispenser that uses hydrocarbons for pressurization you need to be 18+. A lot of other things you need to be 18+ to purchase. Stores are required to keep records of certain items sold or above a certain quantity.

For the instances of those vehicle accidents, were the vehicles purchased new? Because dealers are generally required to check that you have a valid license and insurance before you can take possession of the vehicle/complete the sale (yes, there can be some limited circumstances outside of having insurance and a license where you can legally purchase a vehicle).

The vehicle has to be registered and you have to have certain requirements to continue that registration.

All of this to reduce the chances that you are a dangerous driver.

If you want to build your own road going vehicle to avoid all that kind of stuff, well you need to have it inspected to be registered and the DMV is likely only going to allow a licensed drive to register the vehicle (okay, I don't actually know 100% for sure that is the case on the later, but they will make you do a safety inspection and register it with the state before you may drive it on public roads).

Guns have the restrictions of...in some instances you need a background check to buy one. Handguns you need a limited training class and slightly more in depth background check.

I am not arguing for more gun restrictions. However, bringing up things like driving, it is heavily restricted with a large number of requirements, hoops and expenses to jump through to do it LEGALLY. Along with a number of requirements to limit who can attempt to do it illegally by restricting the ability to acquire a vehicle or operate the acquired vehicle.

Yes, lots and lots of people still get around those hoops. Often times with bad consequences. Sometimes they tweak the hoops to try to make it more difficult.

Ahh, but because there are a large number of people who are going to drive an unsafe vehicle, without a license or insurance and end up causing an accident even with all of the restrictions in place to try to stop that. Well that proves the system doesn't improve road safety at all and doesn't reduce how many people operate unsafe vehicles, or drive unlicensed, or without insurance. So we need to remove those restrictions, because it hinders those who do abide by all of the restrictions and would be safe anyway without needing to follow them. Because they'd voluntarily hold insurance, and ensure they are competent drivers before driving, etc.

It is really easy to spin the argument that way.

I hope it isn't the case, but I think it is only a matter of time before there is state or national law restricting 80% and/or home built firearms. The genie is out of the bottle and it will not STOP it, but my biggest fear is heavily repressive laws or outright bans that effectively end the ability for people who care about them, to own or build them. The impact on criminals is likely to be relatively minor, as the more creative ones are just going to innovate around it. Yeah, your typical inner city youth bent on a liquor store stickup or turf battle isn't getting an 80% and finishing it.

But a guy selling them a gun might be, because is WAY less traceable to them. Those guys are smart enough that if they can't easily get 80%, they'll just get a 3D printer or two. Deal in stolen firearms? Or make them and sell them? What has a higher risk of getting caught?

More and more guys seem to be realizing that just making guns from 80s has a lower risk than dealing in stolen firearms and a whole lot less risk of buying them legitimately, but then re-selling them to the criminal element.

Your points are all well made and I agree with you. My point in making those statements was not to make specific comparisons but to say there are going to be those things the government cant protect us from. No matter how hard they try, and no matter how well meaning they are. We live with 332,000,000 other people in this country. With those kind of numbers, the odds are very strong it will include a million or so mindless idiots, another half million crazed wack jobs, 2 or 3 million criminals, some of each group will somehow get behind the wheel of a car or get there hands on a gun. Some fed and state mandated protections are necessary. When for whatever reason we or Eagle Arms, ARM's start identifying what could potentially become a weapon in the wrong hands. I fear it as exhibit one for more state and Fed. gun control. Aluminum billet must now be regulated kinda thing.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Eagle Arms really thinks that average street criminals have the patience and skill to finish milling a lower receiver when they can more easily steal a complete firearm?

I recently visited a forum member who showed me the process. While cool and fascinating, the first thing that popped into my head is that the average Baltimore squeegee kid is not milling receivers. Not even P80 handgun receivers, because there are so many stolen guns on the market.
    Lol

The soft bigotry of low expectations on display.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    At some point we are going to have to admit that it is a problem with prohibited people buying and using these guns on the street. I really can't blame the guy for not wanting to be part of criminals getting these things.

Facts not in evidence. How many criminals are buying and building firearms from 80% lowers?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    That's interesting.

May I ask how you serialized them? Where did you obtain a serial number? How did you affix it to the rifle/receiver? Did you record the serial number with any organization or just your own private records?

Thanks.

There is no serial number authority. Just scratch a number of your choice into the lower.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I must be naive as blazes. If you bought firearms through an ffl, if you are still buying them through ffl (now all purchases are to be done that way in Maryland and feds got it through the House Pelosiland)), you are “on the books”. You are labeled a gun owner and if things get that bad they will tear your premises apart looking for anything they can find.

We all want unpapered ‘stuff’ because big brother is becoming so contemptible. But face it, if things get that bad, we’ll be picking those ‘things’ up.

But but but the 4473 process isn't registration

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I started writing the exact same thing. Glad I looked a little farther and stopped myself from making a clone post.

You guy's need to get out more and see what's out there. Go watch Lenny at the The Glock Store and you can be building them in five minutes too!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    If you read the OP's story, according to the Philadelphia Police they confiscated 90 in 2019, 270 in 2020 and 80 so far this year.

Know we know where the g*ddamn parts kits were going!

BASTARDS grabbing them as fast as they can.

Its STILL a criminal issue, not an inanimate object issue.

Of those arrested with one, what's the chances the bastard is back on the street?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    owning guns versus driving. Right versus privilege

Freedom to travel within the USA on horses and wagons in the late 1700s. The act of traveling is the same now, just the vehicle has changed.

Why is operating a conveyance a privilege and not a right.

The parallels between firearms and conveyances are incontrovertible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom