• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I want to see the criteria for the test.

With that said, I have seen the PT test requirements for various agencies and departments. They are pretty freaking easy. Even the initial test for MSP looks like a basic walk in the park.

Personally, I think police, FF, and the mil should all be doing job related physical tests on a routine basis. My experiences have shown me that even though you pass a PT test, and might be in OK shape, that does not mean you have the strength to perform in your job when it matters the most. Case in point is a 100 lb female. Ok, she can crank out 20 some pushups in 2 minutes but is unable to carry .50 cal ammo cans 50 yards.

If shit hits the fan, I hope she has some adrenaline to pick up the slack and carry those cans. Why that situation is not a test baffles the hell out me.

Edit: Good on them for telling Holder to suck it.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Not sure the DOJ is mad about, the test is for everyone and the standards aren't different. So are they saying that its the same if a weak little man fails its still bad?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    ..."Noonan said the standards for incoming recruits are modest, including a 300 meter run in 1 minute and 17 seconds, 13 pushups, a 14-inch vertical leap and running for 1.5 miles in 17 minutes and 48 seconds."

Most departments in MD have different entry requirements for males and females which IMHO is a shame.

Everyone should have to pass the same physical requirement as they will be expected to do the same physical job.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Dispatchers will be ordered to determine the gender, height, and weight of suspects in advance and assign the appropriately gendered LEO to the call.

easy.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    ..."Noonan said the standards for incoming recruits are modest, including a 300 meter run in 1 minute and 17 seconds, 13 pushups, a 14-inch vertical leap and running for 1.5 miles in 17 minutes and 48 seconds."

Most departments in MD have different entry requirements for males and females which IMHO is a shame.

Everyone should have to pass the same physical requirement as they will be expected to do the same physical job.

Three cheers for common sense. :thumbsup:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

:D

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Dispatchers will be ordered to determine the gender, height, and weight of suspects in advance and assign the appropriately gendered LEO to the call.

easy.

Don't put that past the liberal departments in this country.

But then the males will want to get paid more for handling most of the work and the more dangerous calls and the females will sue for not getting paid the same.

With that said there are a lot of unfit males in LE as well.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

And they should have to pass the test every year again to continue their employment, right ? No waivers, no 'participatory standard', pass the physical fitness test or go home without pay. You are all expected to do the same physical job, right ?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    And they should have to pass the test every year again to continue their employment, right ? No waivers, no 'participatory standard', pass the physical fitness test or go home without pay. You are all expected to do the same physical job, right ?

Can't say I disagree with that.

The down side is once it becomes a condition of employment we will be paying the officers a few hours a week to work out and condition. In some states they already do this but in MD they typically don't.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I was simply pointing out the absurdity of different standards for males and females.

But I guess a hair brained scheme like I outlined could happen in liberal land where I live.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Can't say I disagree with that.

The down side is once it becomes a condition of employment we will be paying the officers a few hours a week to work out and condition. In some states they already do this but in MD they typically don't.

Even if you give them a few hours a week, it wont solve the problem.

FFs have plenty of time to work out and there are plenty of fat ones. Know what the number one cause of FF line of duty deaths is? Heart attack.

The military MAKES you workout 3 times a week and there are still fat people in the military. The extra fat in the mil gets trimmed though (pun fully intended).

Maybe put fat cops on bike patrol? ALthough, I saw a massive cop on a bike in DC the other week. Maybe he requested it to make some changes in his life. Kudos to him.

bowoah

GlockBlock
    Jul 1, 2014
    PG County
    I have a 250lb friend shaped similar to a meatball....and a PG officer couldnt run him down. Random childhood memory....but yea they should be more fit in especially PG

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Does anyone else love the irony of how our federal government is suing Pennsylvania for discriminating because it has the same standards for everyone. By definition, the federal government is suing for discrimination because the state is not discriminating amongst its recruits.

Only in America. I’ve got to chalk this one up as just another reason we deserve to fail as a nation.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    I have a 250lb friend shaped similar to a meatball....and a PG officer couldnt run him down. Random childhood memory....but yea they should be more fit in especially PG

Couldn't run him down or couldn't keep up with him. I'm fairly fit and can outrun most. Personally I'd rather chase someone until they're too tired to fight than immediately tackle them and bring them to the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom