• ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Yeah. You don't look crazy at all.

052610.cvr.JoelMagda-LG.jpg

I am Assuming this is your pic...?

Cool article. Would like to replace "PA" with "MD" in the text, though.

mythaeus

Trouble-maker Next Door
    Feb 5, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah. You don't look crazy at all.

052610.cvr.JoelMagda-LG.jpg

I am Assuming this is your pic...?

Cool article. Would like to replace "PA" with "MD" in the text, though.

I'm actually not sure who that is, but I'm pretty sure it's not me :D

I too would like to see "MD" in addition to "PA" with full reciprocity.

Al

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009
    It’s kind of hard to practice Buddhism when you’re dead.

Another police officer said that carrying a gun was a right, and who was he to deny that to average citizens? Asked for his opinion on everyday folks carrying, he said: “I really don’t think it matters what our feelings are ... you have a right to bear arms.”

“Basically, I carry a gun because, unlike Nutter et. al., I can’t carry a cop. ”

This is a really great article. It shows gun owners in exactly the right light for the audience of that magazine.

I have a friend that lives in the Northern Liberties. She is going to be greatly offended by this article when I post it to Facebook (I can't imagine her being ok with guns, but it might start an interesting and possibly productive conversation).

mythaeus

Trouble-maker Next Door
    Feb 5, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Really good article! It makes me think there's hope!

:thumbsup:

This is a really great article. It shows gun owners in exactly the right light for the audience of that magazine.

I have a friend that lives in the Northern Liberties. She is going to be greatly offended by this article when I post it to Facebook (I can't imagine her being ok with guns, but it might start an interesting and possibly productive conversation).

The author lives a block away from us and we became friends since the interview. You'd be surprised how positively people may react when you bring the subject up in the context of self-defense relative to crime and the lack of police presence, especially in this neighborhood. With this article, I hope she at least gives a bit more thoughts on the subject.

If you ever visit NL, look me up. We'll happy to grab a few drinks with you and your friend.

Al

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009
    I'm real curious if you see any increase on stores baring guns after this.

NL is an urban hipster central (which is why this article is so great), so I'm really interested in an perceived backlash.

mythaeus

Trouble-maker Next Door
    Feb 5, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm real curious if you see any increase on stores baring guns after this.

NL is an urban hipster central (which is why this article is so great), so I'm really interested in an perceived backlash.

Even with thorough explanations given in the article, I don't doubt some people still won't take their heads out of their asses...or shove it in deeper. We are not worried to be honest. I've discussed organizing a local gun owners meet and greet with a sushi restaurant owner in the neighborhood, mentioning that most people will be carrying and some will be open carrying. He has absolutely no problem with it.

While there are no laws on "No Guns" signage in PA, signs may hold some legal values, but unproven regarding trespassing in terms of carrying and businesses. Business owners would only ask you to leave IF they know you're carrying.

Al

ForwardAssist

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    May 17, 2009

mythaeus

Trouble-maker Next Door
    Feb 5, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Great article.

Not sure if this comment:

9. janey said... on May 26, 2010 at 10:30AM
    “What a bunch of scaredy-cats.”

is meant about you and your wife, or the anti gunners. Hopefully the latter.

Oh, it was for people in the article no doubt. Pretty typical name-calling approach. It's the "Oh YAH! Well, your mom is fat" kind of thing.

Two positive 2A articles, in local papers, in the space of a week? :shocked4:

And this one, in which the instructor is a http://delawareopencarry.org/ member, even includes video of the self confessed liberal journalist firing his first shot. I think I heard a faint, "Holy Shit" in the video. Which of course brought a smile to my face because I know he was hooked at that instant.

http://www.delawareonline.com/artic...e-at-boom--How-I-was-seduced-by-a-.357-Magnum

Great article! Thanks for posting that. 90% of the people I take to the range first time are "liberals".

Al

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Great discussion. Check these out: http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/blog/?p=1532
    The author (pro-gun), I believe is using the handle "We The People". He probably doesn't realize it yet, but he and I have been posting pro-gun arguments where ever we find ignorance, arrogance and fear. Please join us, it does make a big difference. Here is an example:

http://www.topix.com/forum/county/cecil-md/TBM8003QOJIPQH0L1
    Sense
    North East, MD
    Reply »|Report Abuse|Judge it!|#18 hrs ago

If you have a gun, and a thief wants your stuff, he'll shoot your first, perhaps in the back .. even stick in hard against your back to muffle any noise. You drop, he walks away with your stuff. Don't be so naive as to think a gun will protect you. And ask a cop.. they fear a knife to the side or back more than a gun.

But go ahead, every Cecil Co hick hill billy carry a gun... there will be lots of shootings, the gene pool will cleaner, reproduction of Cecil Co hick mouth breathers will be reduced, and there will be more oxygen for me. Free bullets and beer for all! Ya-hoo!

But when citizens have to be armed to be safe in the USA, USA won't be worth living in. I'd rather live in Cuba .. or Iceland where the literacy rate is 99% and there is almost no crime.. a civilized land! Wow! USA could take a lesson.
    We The People
    United States
    Reply »|Report Abuse|Judge it!|#13 hrs ago

You are right, if a criminal gets the drop on someone they will have the advantage whether they use a gun, knife, or ice pick. I’ll take my chances and prefer having a weapon at my disposal. The papers are littered with stories of ordinary folks using legal firearms to protect themselves everyday. We can ban guns, then knives, then bats…..on and on. Who is the naïve one?

Bobbies used to go gun-less in gun-less Great Britian.….no more, they could not handle the criminals without firearms. The notion that banning guns creates a crime free zone is a panacea.

Cuba…break the law and the Commies just hang you on the spot. No civil rights, but a strong deterrent. Iceland….low population, frozen and dark a good portion of the year. But hey, no one is stopping you from moving if the Second Amendment offends you so much.

You can’t regulate people’s behavior. In a perfect world guns would not be needed…but it’s no perfect world my friend.

Just outlined the candidate's stances on the matter for people's information.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Unfortunately, tragedy/horror strikes even in hipster paradise (Omega Man reference for those who get it):

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/h...hern_Liberties_waitress__21__found_slain.html
    Posted on Thu, Jun. 3, 2010
    Northern Liberties waitress, 21, found slain

By Allison Steele

Inquirer Staff Writer

Sabina Rose O'Donnell had just four blocks to go. When she left a friend's apartment at Front Street and Girard Avenue shortly after midnight, she was a five-minute bike ride from home.

The popular 21-year-old waitress never made it inside.

Her nude body was found Wednesday morning in a lot behind the apartment she shared with her stepfather in the 1200 block of Fourth Street, on the northern edge of Northern Liberties.

O'Donnell suffered blunt-force trauma to her face and body and was apparently strangled, Capt. James Clark of the Homicide Unit said. One law enforcement source said a piece of her clothing had been found wrapped around her neck.

There were no indications that O'Donnell knew her killer, Clark said, and police had no leads Wednesday night. Investigators hoped to look at surveillance footage from the area and were talking to neighbors who may have heard something.

"This was savage and brutal," Clark said of the killing. "This person is someone we need to find as soon as possible."

Police believe the killer approached O'Donnell in front of her house, then dragged her to a lot on Orianna Street, about a half-block off Girard. (. . .)

mythaeus

Trouble-maker Next Door
    Feb 5, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Unfortunately, tragedy/horror strikes even in hipster paradise (Omega Man reference for those who get it):

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/h...hern_Liberties_waitress__21__found_slain.html

This happened exactly 2 blocks away from our house, on our street. We don't know the waitress personally, but we have seen her before at PYT Restaurant she worked. Our hearts and thoughts go out to Sabina's family, friends, and those who knew her. Our priority right now is the catch the animal and see him to the end, while staying vigilant and staying smart.

Al

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    This happened exactly 2 blocks away from our house, on our street. We don't know the waitress personally, but we have seen her before at PYT Restaurant she worked. Our hearts and thoughts go out to Sabina's family, friends, and those who knew her. Our priority right now is the catch the animal and see him to the end, while staying vigilant and staying smart.

Al

Geez, that's scary. We have relatives who live somewhere in the neighborhood . . I can never get the geography straight so I can't tell where they live in relation to this incident, but they are active in the NoLib neighborhood political scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom