• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This thread could just as easily be titled “why I’m kind of a sucky shot”, as I haven’t been to the range in about 5 or 6 weeks due to spring trophy rock season. We moved the boat down to Chesapeake Beach the day before opening day back on April 17th, and rented a slip for two weeks. We got six trips in during that time, and we had to work for those fish. It was a popular opinion that this was a tough year, but fish could be had if one stuck it out. Here’s how it went:

April 17th, the day before opening day, yielded a fat and scrappy 37 incher that was put back in the drink after a couple quick pictures:
    DSCF0006small.JPG

We were skunked on April 19th, but we could not have asked for a better day on the bay:
    DSCF0025small.JPG

On April 24th, the weather stared out nice, but we ended up fighting 3 and 4 foot waves :tdown: as we returned to Chesapeake Beach. The trip yielded one undersized 25 incher, which is swimming around the bay as we speak:
    DSCF0094small.JPG

I took a friend from work out on April 27th, and put him on a feisty 30 incher before all the lines were out. We did not get a single bite the rest of the day, but this was my first successful harvest of meat. :thumbsup: We each took a fillet home that day:

The pinnacle of the season came on April 30th when I put my 87 year old Pop on a 41½ inch 27 pound behemoth off of North Beach. Later, I put my brother on a nice 38 incher off of Breezy Point. It was like old times in the 1970’s that day with my Pop and brother. :) My wife joined in on the fun that day as well. The weather ended up really nice with the bay as flat as glass. The posting of my story even made the Tidalfish fishing report for early May:

http://www.tidalfish.com/Maryland_Fishing_Reports/p2_articleid/599

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/che...my-87-year-old-pop-his-lifetime-rockfish.html

DSCF0031small.JPG

DSCF0038Mod1.jpg

DSCF0030small.JPG

I went out of the Severn on May 2nd with another buddy from work, and the day yielded a 38 incher.
    DSCF0014small.JPG

We wound down the season on May 8th and avoided the skunk with about an hour to spare with this very lucky (and undersized ) 25 incher; a week later and this fish would have been dinner:
    DSCF0009.jpg
    We had fun posing this picture, as if we had just landed bubba. :lol:

It was a lot of work, a heck of a lot of fun, and me and a few others now have freezers full of meat. We just had some killer rockfish faux crab cakes last night which were to die for. I’ve done a lot of 4 am reviles in the past three weeks between work and mid week fishing, I’ve been running on adrenalin and caffeine :eek:, and I’m now ready to relax a little. I think its time to visit the range. :gun3:

jjboxman

Nov 18, 2008
    Pa & Md
    We caught 2, 37 & 37 1/2 1st day. Got skunked 3 trips straight since, only out a couple of hours each day.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Nice! We had some good days and some bad days this year. Oh and running the planers is a whole new level of fun and challenge.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nice! We had some good days and some bad days this year. Oh and running the planers is a whole new level of fun and challenge.

This is our third full season, and we've only run boat rods so far. I am definitely adding planer boards next season. When one reads the reports at Tidalfish and other places, it becomes apparent that the ratio of catches from boat vs planer rods isn't even close, something like 6 to 1 in favor of planers.

Planers keep the baits out of your prop wash, they give you a wider area of coverage (you effectively have a 50 foot beam), they allow more rods, and they give you 2 fighting lanes on either end of the boat. I realize that there will be added nonsense with boards like extra tangles etc, but the rewards will totally overshadow it. The gas alone that I might save in limiting out quicker could pay for the boards and the associated hardware.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    You pretty much have to run the planers anymore. Most days we only catch on the planer rods. I'll be happy to put them away for the season and get the riggers ready for offshore. This is my last weekend for fishing the bay this year.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    we want to try planers too. we only had hits on the outriggers and after awhile we just pulled in the other two rods.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    8 Rock Hall Men Charged With Serious Striped Bass Violations | March 8, 2010

NRP seize approximately 16,500 yards of illegally anchored gill and 3,200 pounds of rockfish in February

“Repeat offenders will not be tolerated,” said Secretary John Griffin. “The State, its partners and stakeholders are working together to preserve our resources for future generations of Marylanders and we take these crimes against our public resources very seriously.”

That's a LOT of fish, wonder if they went to waste for "evidence" or something?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Got any recommendations on the board spread? I was initially thinking of chart and white, 2/4 oz tandems and 3/6 oz tandems on the boards and mostly umbrellas on the boat rods.

That's a pretty good spread to start. You will probably notice one size or position catching more than the others. Try to figure out why and adjust from there. You may need to run deeper or up higher depending on the sunshine and water conditions. Junebug tackle makes these spinner blade type small umbrella rigs that work very well off of boards as well.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

It makes a whole bunch of sense to limit Catch and release fishing in order to save striped bass population. Nooo way actually limiting ctach and kill fishing would be more effective. The won't stop with these rules (which I really have no issue with). They are setting up for a major restriction next year. MD DNR is a big waste of time and effort. They aren't effective at one single level of management or enforcement. Thier efforst to limit C@R fishing instead of focusing on catch and kill shows who pulls thier strings and also insures they won't curb the recent decline in rockfish populations.

Outdrdave

Mar 10, 2010
    CC, MD / OC, NJ
    You pretty much have to run the planers anymore. Most days we only catch on the planer rods. I'll be happy to put them away for the season and get the riggers ready for offshore. This is my last weekend for fishing the bay this year

are you anchored using the planers or are you trolling and whats your set up?

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    That's a pretty good spread to start. You will probably notice one size or position catching more than the others. Try to figure out why and adjust from there. You may need to run deeper or up higher depending on the sunshine and water conditions. Junebug tackle makes these spinner blade type small umbrella rigs that work very well off of boards as well.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm pretty much all set to go except for the final goosing of the spread. This rainy weekend will be a good one to do just that.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Keep a close eye out while fishing this spring. All this rain and flooding is gonna push a huge mass of floating debris down the bay.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Keep a close eye out while fishing this spring. All this rain and flooding is gonna push a huge mass of floating debris down the bay.

Yeah I feel a lot of it in my little bass boat out on the Magothy. I don't venture too far out in the bay on it....not very safe. The furthest I've had it out of the river was around Baltimore Light.

It's tough to see the flotsam when you're so low to the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom