• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    I’m meeting a guy tomorrow to possibly buy his m1. It’s milsurp not a repro. The stock has a large chip of wood reglued by the receiver. The wood is very dark and seems oil rubbed etc., not like varnish. The original rear sight is replaced with a cheap red dot, but he has the original sight. Says it operates well/shoots fine. Several mags alongside.
    I haven’t seen the stamping on barrel, don’t know manufacturer. Loose price discussion, under $1k , more than $500 as far as we got on price.

I’m looking it over and shooting it. What specifically should I look for?

I have a couple gun -a -year budget. I can’t get everything.
    I’ve been trying to decide on a pistol caliber rifle lately and stumbled into this seller through an acquaintance. I was looking at beretta storm carbine etc, vs lever gun in 357etc. Considerations: 1) can deer hunt with straight walled 2) HDefense gun 3) maybe...cowboy action shooting. 4) are the marxists in Annapolis gonna ban pcc semis? Obviously the lever would cover more bases than a pcc like the storm/scorpio.
    Then I had to meet this guy! I’ve always wanted an m1.
    I’m basically figuring if I get a good deal on a sound gun I’ll buy the m1 tomorrow. Thoughts/ advice? Thanks

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Does 30 Carbine have the minimum energy rating for Deer in MD?
    30 carbine is not known for stopping power

I'd get him to put the original sight back on.

WarPig68

May 9, 2012
    Pasadena
    I’m meeting a guy tomorrow to possibly buy his m1. It’s milsurp not a repro. The stock has a large chip of wood reglued by the receiver. The wood is very dark and seems oil rubbed etc., not like varnish. The original rear sight is replaced with a cheap red dot, but he has the original sight. Says it operates well/shoots fine. Several mags alongside.
    I haven’t seen the stamping on barrel, don’t know manufacturer. Loose price discussion, under $1k , more than $500 as far as we got on price.

I’m looking it over and shooting it. What specifically should I look for?

I have a couple gun -a -year budget. I can’t get everything.
    I’ve been trying to decide on a pistol caliber rifle lately and stumbled into this seller through an acquaintance. I was looking at beretta storm carbine etc, vs lever gun in 357etc. Considerations: 1) can deer hunt with straight walled 2) HDefense gun 3) maybe...cowboy action shooting. 4) are the marxists in Annapolis gonna ban pcc semis? Obviously the lever would cover more bases than a pcc like the storm/scorpio.
    Then I had to meet this guy! I’ve always wanted an m1.
    I’m basically figuring if I get a good deal on a sound gun I’ll buy the m1 tomorrow. Thoughts/ advice? Thanks

As a Milsurp guy, I’d say take the carbine as long as you are comfortable with the price. Original GI stocks aren’t very much if you want to replace that broken one you’ve described. My advice would be to be sure that his red dot addition didn’t permanently mar or change the receiver. Also, keep an eye on the maker. You could be getting a really nice rare maker for a good price if you play your cards right. The maker and serial will be on the top of the receiver right behind the rear sight.

Does it have the bayonet lug? Flip safety? Original sling? Some things to consider...

To your question about Annapolis, if you already have it.. shouldn’t be an issue if they ban PCCs.

Carbines are really awesome guns both historically and range wise.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Run away. You are most likely buying problems. If you want a carbine, buy one that has not been molested. Rebuilt is fine but accept that only if it was done at a US arsenal. That is the only way you can be 100% sure that you are buying a reliable and properly fitted carbine. If you cannot afford one of those, save up until you can. One path leads to regret while the other leads to happy satisfaction.

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    I only saw it for a moment...no sling , the stock has the slot cut out for sling attachment. I swear it has a push button safety. The wood is damaged from him banging/pushing on the rear sight or the receiver under it with a flathead screwdriver trying to secure it. I’m gonna guess he was having trouble with securing/sighting the rear sight. I think he said to the other guy it is a Saginaw but I might have misheard. Pretty sure no bayonet lug.
    Thanks guys

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Run away. You are most likely buying problems. If you want a carbine, buy one that has not been molested. Rebuilt is fine but accept that only if it was done at a US arsenal. That is the only way you can be 100% sure that you are buying a reliable and properly fitted carbine. If you cannot afford one of those, save up until you can. One path leads to regret while the other leads to happy satisfaction.

Agreed.

I’ve never once been sorry for buying quality. I’ve been sorry many, many times for trying to save a few dollars.

Also, careful with the original 20 round mags in Md., but I’m sure u know that.

Good luck.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    30 Carbine is not going to meet power requirement of 1200 fpe for deer hunting in Md.
    Not all straight walled cartridges are allowed, .22 LR. ;)

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Original GI mags for the M1 were 15 rounds. But still same problem transferring them in MD.

Lol, yep, not sure why I wrote 20 considering the hundred or so I have and the 8-9 high quality original Carbines I’ve sold from my collection over the last year. Thanks for the correction.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I'd be on the south side of 500 dollars. For a quick check... bring a 30 cal bullet with you and see if the muzzle swallows it up. If it does.......... the barrel is shot out then it needs pretty much everything and I'd stay away unless I could steal it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    30 Carbine is not going to meet power requirement of 1200 fpe for deer hunting in Md.
    Not all straight walled cartridges are allowed, .22 LR. ;)

IIRC the min power requirement was specifically to prevent the use of the .30 Carbine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Original stocks were finished with raw linseed oil. So oiled is correct. All carbine stocks have the sling/oiler cut out.

No bayonet lug means it is WWII configuration. The original rear sight should be the flip sight. Most carbines got the bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight during arsenal rebuild after the war.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Original stocks were finished with raw linseed oil. So oiled is correct. All carbine stocks have the sling/oiler cut out.

No bayonet lug means it is WWII configuration. The original rear sight should be the flip sight. Most carbines got the bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight during arsenal rebuild after the war.

And I think the original version started with the push-button safety at the front of the trigger guard. When it was realized that troops would mistake the mag. release for the safety, they shifted to the lever twist-style safety button.

JoeR

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    Ok , pictures! I didn’t buy, but he’s right down the road and I told him I’d make an offer after Christmas. We shot thru a mag and it ran and shot fine. The bore looks nice, clean, shiny, no visible pitting, the rifling is clear-I don’t know enough to say how deep vs worn it is, but looks good. I know nothing about the make, vintage, serial, features existing or missing, hopefully the pics are clear enough for some feedback. The rear sight is a peep with a round dial knob on right, definitely old. It mounts by sliding sideways into a slot. But it doesn’t stay on? Please let me know your thoughts on yes/no quality and price. Thanks!

Attachments

• AE9032A4-3665-42F2-BE97-E7415D2A2EF0.jpg
      AE9032A4-3665-42F2-BE97-E7415D2A2EF0.jpg
      93.9 KB · Views: 300
    • 34F5F03F-0190-4BC0-8E3D-4CBD03EADBDE.jpg
      34F5F03F-0190-4BC0-8E3D-4CBD03EADBDE.jpg
      53.4 KB · Views: 318
    • 900F280E-A10C-488B-9773-A74D7B2F9444.jpg
      900F280E-A10C-488B-9773-A74D7B2F9444.jpg
      113 KB · Views: 293
    • 79C1CC49-F36D-4D7F-8707-1F57F4E9C440.jpg
      79C1CC49-F36D-4D7F-8707-1F57F4E9C440.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 300
    • 4CF46269-0CAF-43A7-84AA-D6D61F6E3C2A.jpg
      4CF46269-0CAF-43A7-84AA-D6D61F6E3C2A.jpg
      129.6 KB · Views: 301
    • CE927B11-F5F9-40F3-81A9-6743CB0B5044.jpg
      CE927B11-F5F9-40F3-81A9-6743CB0B5044.jpg
      122.2 KB · Views: 291

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Well it was made by Saginaw that's a good thing, the rear sight mess isn't.... Did you put a round in the bore and see if it still grabbed or did it bottom out to the brass?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Just from the photos it doesn't look too bad at all...but it would cost probably at least $150-$200 or more to get a correct stock and hand guard. If you don't care about originality a birch reproduction stock will work fine. You could always sell that stock to recover some of the costs of a replacement.

It has early features...the pushbutton safety and the narrow barrel band. A flip-up rear sight would be correct for its vintage but most Carbines received the updated adjustable rear sight you said comes with the piece during arsenal rebuilds. Installing either rear sight would cover that hole.

Most carbines that I've seen tend to have their original barrels due to the use of non-corrosive ammunition...can't really say that about 1903 and M1 rifles...they used corrosive ammunition until the early '50s.

I can only go by the asking prices I've seen at gun shows...usually about $1k or more for even mixmaster guns...you have to deduct what a replacement stock would cost. You also don't know for sure what might have to be done to do something to repair the rear sight dovetail for a sight to stay put...maybe something you can do or maybe it needs a gunsmith's touch. I think the top of the market value on that M1 is maybe $750...probably $650-$700 is a more fair market value. Anything less than that and you're golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom