• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjd5169

Jul 29, 2011
    I could really use some help here. I spend most of my time in PA although I am from MD and maintain residency here. I'm 20 years old and recently began the process of purchasing an AR-15 when I was shocked by the crazy laws we have here. Needless to say PA is much more leniant when it comes to gun laws. Here is my issue, I was in talks with an FFL to get an HBAR Carbine AR-15 I was planning to purchase online sent to his store. He told me that he could not legally transfer me the rifle and the only HBAR which I can legally own as someone under the age of 21 is the Colt HBAR Sporter. Now through more research I see that this may in fact be false and that some FFLs in MD are willing to transfer an HBAR AR-15 regardless of the manufacturer. I'd really appreciate any advice on this matter.

Here is the rifle for reference
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=243265711

cjd5169

Jul 29, 2011
    So even though that rifle I posted the link to has a 16" inch barrel and an adjustable stock it is still considered non regulated and thus legal for me to own as someone under 21?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As long as it says "HBAR" or "HEAVY BARREL" somewhere on the firearm, it would be hard to dispute.

Also since the HBAR is unregulated, you could use a PA FFL.

cjd5169

Jul 29, 2011
    I was told by dealers in PA that since I don't have a PA driver's license they wouldn't be able to transfer to me

cjd5169

Jul 29, 2011
    do you have any FFLs in both MD or PA that you like doing business with. So far I've been hard pressed to find a friendly/reasonable dealer in MD

cjd5169

Jul 29, 2011
    I spend most of my time in Central PA...Grice Gunshop in Clearfield is a personal favorite of mine but they were the ones that told me that w/o a PA license they wouldn't be able to transfer.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I spend most of my time in Central PA...Grice Gunshop in Clearfield is a personal favorite of mine but they were the ones that told me that w/o a PA license they wouldn't be able to transfer.

They're playing it safe, because they may not know MD law. Have a talk with them and take a printed copy of the MD regulated list

§ 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific
    firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that
    firearm:

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009

I bought a Hbar at the last York gun show, over the counter....not a problem at all.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Screw that FFL, and use one of our Industry Partners who know the laws and want your business.

Any AR stamped HBAR on the bbl is cash and carry, out the door, same day.

cjd5169

Jul 29, 2011
    do you know of an FFL in MD who you think wouldn't shy away from transferring me the rifle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom