• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I finally had a chance to shoot the brass with small primers installed. I don't see any real difference between it and the brass with large primers. I have a lot of small primers and not many large so I think I'll just keep reloading the small primer brass until it wears out.

I've had problems seating the primers but I've made an adjustment on the primer loading device so now I can shoot my loads.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I finally had a chance to shoot the brass with small primers installed. I don't see any real difference between it and the brass with large primers. I have a lot of small primers and not many large so I think I'll just keep reloading the small primer brass until it wears out.

I've had problems seating the primers but I've made an adjustment on the primer loading device so now I can shoot my loads.

I don’t have enough data for my powders and loads to say too much. I do stick with LP for my hot loads, like when I am pushing 880-900fps with a 230gr JHP and up at max pressure. The small amount I’ve tested there I get slightly better ES and SD, but the velocity difference is pretty much negligible. Less than 10fps difference.

Plinking loads I see no real difference.

I load both and I am okay on both primers. But 45acp is the only thing I load that can use LPP and I have a fair number, though more SPP. So I mostly load LPP to use the SPP in other things.

I think I’ve got about 200 or so SPP cases and around 600 LPP cases.

I doubt you’ll wear out your SPP cases in 45acp unless you’ve only got a few. Some guys I know have used the same case 20-30 times and still not worn them out. 45 is really low pressure.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I don’t have enough data for my powders and loads to say too much. I do stick with LP for my hot loads, like when I am pushing 880-900fps with a 230gr JHP and up at max pressure. The small amount I’ve tested there I get slightly better ES and SD, but the velocity difference is pretty much negligible. Less than 10fps difference.

Plinking loads I see no real difference.

I load both and I am okay on both primers. But 45acp is the only thing I load that can use LPP and I have a fair number, though more SPP. So I mostly load LPP to use the SPP in other things.

I think I’ve got about 200 or so SPP cases and around 600 LPP cases.

I doubt you’ll wear out your SPP cases in 45acp unless you’ve only got a few. Some guys I know have used the same case 20-30 times and still not worn them out. 45 is really low pressure.

I have .45ACP with headstamps from the 60s that I am still shooting. Just not much stress from the .45AARP. I guess I will kick the bucket before some of my brass wears out.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I only prefer the large as I have a lot of those and that is what my press is set for now. When I miss a small case it jacks up my reloading session for a bit which I could do without.

So, I give the small stuff away.

However, if I didn't have so much large and got a deal on a ton of the small stuff I would be fine with that option also IF one has the SPP's to feed it.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    The powders used in the 45 are easy to light so it isn’t an issue. One advantage is the small pocket brass will have a bit more brass in the case head but then we are only talking 19,000 psi. Can’t recall if my 45 super is large or small, large I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom