• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Looking to pick up another plinker and wondering if anyone has experience with the BXR or TCR. I'm curious if they offer anything over a 10/22 that would make one of these the better buy.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Have a couple TCRs I use as Appleseed loaners.

1. Scope mount is integral to the receiver. This is both good (very secure) and sub-optimal (you can extended bases on 10/22s for better eye relief or elevation for long range shooting)
    2. Better trigger over stock ruger. But the BX upgrade for the 10/22 is a bit better and there are tons of more expensive 10/22 options
    3. Auto bolt release
    4. Sling swivel mounting points (front and rear) are molded into stock (or use mlok)
    5. Hole in receiver for cleaning
    6. Nice magpul stock (light, good cheekweld). And compatible with all 10/22 stocks. I swap them out all the time.
    7. Threaded muzzle for a suppressor or muzzle device to protect the crown.
    8. Iron sights are infinitely better than stock Ruger sights, but not as good as Tech Sights
    9. Last round bolt hold open with the proprietary mag - but fully compatible with stock Ruger mags (which is all I use)
    10. Coatings on the bolt and pins makes them slick and easy to clean

Accuracy is good - as good as any of the normal 10/22s. And just as reliable as a 10/22.

I also like 10/22s a lot as well. All depends on whether the upgrades matter to you for plinking.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I haven't shot either but I think it really depends on you. If you want to swap parts and build up, I would go for a standard 10/22 or the brownells 10/22 receiver. If you are looking for the best gun out of the box, likely the bergara. The TCR has the bolt lock open feature which is nice.

Really, it's up to you and what you are trying to do. If you are shooting match ammo and competing, I'd go w the bergara. For plinking, it's all about where you want to end up w the rifle and whether you want a complete package or to build.

I will add that it's amazing how much the ammo will change all of these guns.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I have had and still have a few 10/22's. I like the versatility and availability of parts and accessories, and they are plenty accurate. I have been eyeballing the Bergara BXR they have in Bollinger's and I like everything about it. What's not to like? They also take the Ruger 10/22 magazines. To me they are nicely hotrodded 10/22. Personally I will stick with the 10/22 over the Bergara. The T/C is a clone of the 10/22

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/bxr/
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/07/02/review-thompson-center-tcr22/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom