• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I've seen this experiment before, but came upon some raw steel plates and figured... why not? Since I've never seen rust tests done with all my favorite solvents in addition to dedicated rust preventers, now was the time to try it.

I started out with 3 sheets of metal, cleaned them thoroughly and applied nine different compounds--each time using a clean cotton ball, and wiped gently with a paper towel. A bit more residuel was left on each plate than I'd normally leave on a gun, but not by a whole lot.

The chemicals are:
    - Hoppes #9
    - Ballistol
    - WipeOut
    - CLP
    - WD-40
    - PB Blaster
    - 5W40 Synthetic Oil
    - Silicone Spray
    - Eezox

These hung in my basement for two weeks at 60% humidity and didn't develop a single bit of rust, except on the back where I'd handled them. First rule of keeping guns rust-free... fingerprints are bad. Wipe them off.

After two weeks in the basement failed to generate results, I mixed up some briny water, about the salinity of the ocean. Laid each plate flat and sprayed them evenly and *immediately* noticed flash rust on a few of the test areas.

Second rust-free rule, don't take your guns boating around saltwater. And if you sweat on them or shoot corrosive ammo which contains salt, clean it off immediately. Salt is hygroscopic and attracts humidity in the air even if it's not noticeably wet. Salt and metal most definitely are not friends.

The areas which flash-rusted first were those with the dedicated solvents: Hoppes #9, Ballistol, and WipeOut. But it was interesting to see how each compound beaded the water differently, which led to different rust patterns. Third rule of rust prevention: solvents are solvents, they do not perform the same as preventatives even if they are advertised to protect against rust.

The plates were left outside from here on out, laid flat under a sheltered porch. They were subjected to Spring temperature swings which attracted dew every morning. They rusted *really* fast with the combination of dew and the salt still remaining on the plates.

By day two nearly all the test areas were noticeably rusted except for three: CLP, Eezox, and WD-40. These three holdouts were almost entirely and equally clean of rust, although it's not as obvious in the photos. What surprised me was the silicone, PB Blaster, and 5W40 had rusted completely by the second day, I figured they would do better.

By days three and four, the CLP and WD-40 areas both started to rust noticeably.

By day seven, nothing could completely hold back against the presence of salt and dew and the CLP and WD-40 areas were just as bad as the others. The Eezox, while rusted in patches, still kept way more of the metal clean than anything else. Fourth rule of rust prevention: Eezox is as good as it is rumored to be.

This was definitely an extreme test and didn't measure the various compound's ability to resist dirt and gentle handling. So it wasn't entirely equitable to all of the products tested. While Eezox proved to be a great rust-preventer it may not excel at certain gun-related applications. WD-40 is a fairly good rust preventer but is *not* suitable for the insides of bores and chambers, where it eventually will build up into a shellac-like deposit. CLP did way better than I though it would, I feel comfortable continuing to use it in my bores before I put them away.

Hope this helped a few of you!

Attachments

• 0-treated-SM.jpg
      0-treated-SM.jpg
      49.9 KB · Views: 361
    • 1st-spray-SM.jpg
      1st-spray-SM.jpg
      215.2 KB · Views: 381
    • 2nd-day-SM.jpg
      2nd-day-SM.jpg
      203.5 KB · Views: 381
    • 7th-day-SM.jpg
      7th-day-SM.jpg
      203.8 KB · Views: 364
    • fingerprint-SM.jpg
      fingerprint-SM.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 362

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    I know, I was really pulling for Ballistol as I prefer it for an all-around cleaner/wipedown product. While it initially rusted faster than WD-40 and CLP, after a week of abuse there is very little difference between them and the rust hasn't spread on the Ballistol.

I think as a final test I'll let everything go another week or two, then scrub it all down and see what the pitting looks like.

I'm surprised by a couple of the results.I'm not trying to discount your results,just going to relay my experience.I work in auto repair,so I use/have used all kinds of chemicals.

(1) Over the yrs. I've found WD-40 to be a better cleaner than a rust inhibitor.I had an old H&R .410 that used WD-40 on before I stored it,6 mo. later it looked like I had never put anything on it.

(2)PB-Blaster,I use +/- a case a mo. and it does have a tendency to evaporate (to a point) meaning it might not look "oily",but you can still feel it.My shop gun is a blued Ruger speed six,which is exposed to constant temp./humidity changes.I use Blaster on it (convenient) and have had no issues.

I just started using CLP and my first impression was excellent,so I'm glad to see the results that you got with it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm not sure from your pictures and description how these were applied. It looks like they were just sprayed on.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    The last time I read a review like this Eezox and CLP were clearly way better as a rust inhibator than any other product.

I would also like to know how you applied the products.

Thanks for confirming that I'm using the right product....

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Thanks for your time and effort with this informative writeup! CLP is SCHWEET!! I only use two products. Hoppes Copper Solvent for cleaning and CLP for preserving. I've never found anything else necessary.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    I wiped all the products on by hand with a clean cotton ball. The first pic of the hanging sheets was after application, and after being in the basement for two weeks. No rust, even on the untreated areas, except on the back from my fingerprints.

The "wet" pics are the saline spray a few minutes after I applied it. I took some pics of that just because I thought it was cool how it beaded up differently on top of each product. Sorry if that was unclear.

If I had to do this again, I would use plain water. The salt water was way more caustic than I thought it would be, and greatly accelerated the rust. This probably would've taken weeks to get to this point without the salt. I just got impatient of waiting :D

Again, this ended up as an extreme test and not typical of what most of us would put our guns through. I would feel comfortable using nearly all these products as preventative with the exception of WipeOut, silicone, and Hoppes #9 which flash rusted immediately, well before the water even evaporated.

The only spots I've noticed rust on my personal firearms are where the finish has worn off and they get handled--the rear sights on semi pistols in particular. Now that I've seen what a little salt will do, even just what I carry on the surface of my skin, I feel a lot of rust prevention is simply diligent cleaning and wipe-down.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I did a similar test in my back yard a few years ago just out of curiosity except I drove a few nails into a 2x4 and burnished them with steel wool. My winner was RemOil after a few days in fairly steady rain. I have used it ever since.

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Thanks!

Thank you for sharing your invaluable test results. To me, it looks like you conducted a very scientific test which yielded very helpful results! Keep up the great work!!

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Every Test like this I have seen had Eezox hands down win followed by CLP.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Pretty much like every test I have seen CLP, EEZOX rank well.

WD-40 always comes in strangely well.

That said I stored almost all my guns in Hoppes for 10 years (wiped down twice) moderate slightly damp basement (parents, my basement runs less than 40% all year) with no problem, but have moved onto EEZOX and CLP.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    After seeing the results of the older test, I decided to use EEZOX to clean and preserve some very nice, old guns.

I often wondered if I'd made the right choice after seeing only one test, but you have validated my decision and made me feel a little better about it.

Thanks for the extra sleep I'll get tonight.:)

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    After seeing the results of the older test, I decided to use EEZOX to clean and preserve some very nice, old guns.

I often wondered if I'd made the right choice after seeing only one test, but you have validated my decision and made me feel a little better about it.

Thanks for the extra sleep I'll get tonight.:)

Imho, You won't find a better rust inhibitor or preservative for metal out there. I don't know what they put in it, but I have used it for 10-15 years or so and never had a gun show ANY kinds of rust, and I have moved a lot (Dis. Vet. and military spouse) and lived in crazy climates where the guns stayed in the cases for years without any issues.

I never really knew it was that good until this last week when I started looking for more since I started shooting again and needed some cleaner/lube.
    There are some other REALLY good long term studies like this one where Eezox doesn't have anything that comes close to it.

I'm glad I got lucky 10-15 years ago and settled on a bottle of it (I had no clue how good it was), otherwise I'm sure a couple of my "cased" firearms would be worse for wear.

The only reason I got turned onto it was it was the only thing that I found that would clean my Ti Gold Desert Eagle without jacking up the finish. I ruined one magazine with Hoppes. THANK GOD I started with the magazine and not the gun!

moo-cow

Moo!
    Dec 4, 2010
    MoCo
    My winner was RemOil after a few days in fairly steady rain. I have used it ever since.

Lately I have been cleaning with WD-40, followed by Hoppe's No. 9 in the barrel, and Rem-Oil for lubrication. I would be curious to see how Rem-Oil stood up to the several other cleaners that rob-cubed tested... Maybe next time? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom