‘Why is nothing being done?’: Concerns grow about drug use, fighting in Montgomery Co. school bathrooms

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Something was done, stupid. This is the desired result!

“Last school year, we had vape detection sensors active in our bathrooms to detect drug use. They were removed over the summer without the knowledge of our new and incoming administration,” Gebler told the board, adding that there are also reports of unknown persons entering school grounds to engage in drug trade.

Suck it. Racist! :smoke:

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Because enforcement would be racist as it would affect minority students at a higher rate of white and asian students. Of course the fact that these are the students who would be committing most of the violations that is besides the point.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Meme Genie isn't going to get any rest this weekend!

Mekka-lekka hi, mekka @Sunrise ho!

Jambi-the-genie-640x529.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This is one of the main root causes of the discipline problem in schools now. Obama's DOJ and DOE released guidance blaming disproportionate discipline outcomes between races on racism. Of the kids that misbehave, black kids just are flat out overrepresented, so the only ways to make these outcomes different on paper are to reclassify kids that misbehave frequently as having a disability, to change the threshold for discipline levels, and to outright get rid of some kinds of discipline. It also doubled-down on bush's no child left behind garbage that reallocates resources to the bottom 5%, the rest of the kids be damned.

So, teachers are called racists and blamed for discipline data. We're forced to do bias trainings and every teacher knows(whether they'll admit it or not) that there is a spotlight and potential allegations of racism if they discipline a black kid, but not a white kid. Things like removing disruptive kids from a classroom temporarily or for out of school suspension are all but a thing of the past. There are huge incentive programs for kids that misbehave, but not for other kids. And equity policies are teaching kids that whites oppress blacks and the intersectional olympics determine your victim status. So what does that create?

The answer is extremely obvious... more frequent and more severe behaviors in schools. Every year that I have taught since 2007, I have been hit/kicked/spit on/ threatened/had things thrown at me/ bitten...etc. Some years it was pretty much every week. And that's in elementary school as a man (yes, the kids get suddenly surprised that mr smokey doesn't play that game like the other teachers do... but everyone knows...kids included... that there won't be consequences in the end for these actions).

By no consequences, I'll give an anecdote ... a 5th grade student thew a fit because the student didn't like the choices in activities the student had. The student eloped(ran away) and began breaking things in the hallway/cafeteria. I blocked the student and told the student to stop and I would not allow the student to destroy the hard work of other kids. The student kicked me, threatened me, and spit on me before pushing me and eloping to a nearby room. I called for support from admin, and went to the room. The kid had grabbed big scissors from a teacher's desk and threatened to stab everyone, starting with me. The student discovered that it was a bad idea to do that and ended up being relieved of the scissors. The student then threw a phone from a desk at my head(which I blocked... yay muay thai), and again tried kicking/hitting me(as I shin checked the student and reminded the student that if the student didn't want bruises on the studen't legs... stop trying to kick me). Eventually admin arrived and took over. I fully filled in the admin with what happened, there was video evidence from hallway cameras as well. Soooo what consequence do you think happened?

....a talking to... that's it. 15 minutes later as I brought a class in to my gym, I saw the student walking the halls with a big bag of popcorn as the student participated in the schoolwide popcorn and movie incentive. The student was never suspended or anything, despite holding scissors up to my face and threatening to go on a stabbing spree, starting with me....annnnnnnd throwing a phone at my head.

This is not rare. This is standard operating procedure. It's also why although I very much like and respect my current admin... I told my admin that if they won't support me, I'm simply calling the police the next time and bypassing them completely.

Until consequences come back, and we completely purge equity from the system, schools will continue their downward spiral.

turbo86

MDS Supporter
    Back in '78 we had one of those bathrooms. It was the one down by the tennis courts. We'd go in there to smoke cigs and other things. Vice principal Brown was always on the prowl, and he knew exactly what was going on there. Many got caught and spent time in V.P. Browns office where you were given a three day suspension and your parents were called. The suspension was no big deal. It was the call to parents that was the bad part- at least for me. My USMA graduate father was no nonsense. The three day suspension was carried out in deep contemplation of my actions and the consequences stretched further than three days with every restriction he could slap on a 16year old kid. This lack of civilized behavior starts at home and is allowed to carry into the schools. Until this changes, It will only get worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom