• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Infinity

Coming on strong
    Jun 22, 2009
    Prince George's
    Hey all,

I have always said that eventually I would get a 1911. With this being the Centennial anniversary of the military adopting the 1911, and all the manufacturers making special editions...I am kind itching for one. Now i need some suggestions.
    What I want in my first 1911:
    *Manufacturer-Don't care too much. I know people have preferences. I'm open.
    *style-It can be any style. I just don't like the gaudy ones. I prob wouldn't want an all chrome/stainless one. i don't mind one with a shorter barrel either.
    *features-I know companies are making versions with original or close to original specs...I want one with new machinery and features. I know one with really nice features could get pricey. So i wouldn't be opposed to one that is good, but has a variety of interchangeable features and parts.
    *price- i want a new one so I'll top out at $750.

Appreciate the help!

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    $750 is on the low end of the spectrum I feel. A smith and wesson E series is a beautiful gun. As for how it performs, I dont know because the only 1911 I ever shot was a Springfield, which was also a nice gun.

Infinity

Coming on strong
    Jun 22, 2009
    Prince George's
    Yeah I actually just heard about Remington's 1911 R1 tonight when I was watching Gallery of Guns or Guns & Ammo. I have heard good things about Springfield's 1911 also. Most of my price reluctance comes from want to customize the gun on my own and the fact that I think I will be firing the gun a lot. Not a display piece like some of the 1911s.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Now this might not be a popular opinion with it being a Filipino gun, but the Rock Island 1911s fit into your budget range, and they just released a 1911 with a full-length rail and night sights within your budget.

http://centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911-2011-NS.aspx

Two minor issues: I'm not sure if that has to go through the MD roster, and I'm fairly certain that Centerfire Systems is the only distributor for it currently.

edit - after glancing at the roster, RIAs are approved in hi-cap, government, commander, and officer sizes, so it would appear that this would not need to clear roster.

Congratulations on your choice of the 1911. Stay away from the budget bargains, if possible by a decent used American made firearm. Have an expert gunsmith check it out and tune it if needed. Colt is a good place to start. Then as you learn the ins and outs of the firearm research the other brands.

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    My Rock Island Tactical (from the mdshooters group buy) has been extremely reliable and accurate. I've only got about 400 rounds through it so far, but I am very pleased with it.

I would love to buy a USA made 1911, but until the Ruger 1911 gets MD approved, there is no way I can afford one. Kimber is in the same price range but has a spotty track record. The affordable Springfields have Brazilian frames. I'd love me some Wilson Combat, but a cheap wilson costs more than my car.

Since my $450 gun works just fine, I'm not going to spend $700+ on a gun just to send it back/send it to a smith to get it to run properly.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    $ 750 won't get you much. You will need 2K ++750. I would look at Bear or Brown. Both are good investments and very good pistols but it would be a shame to shoot ether one . Both are very Pricey . I have handled the Brown Hendershots has one it sure is nice .

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Save up !! Do you research .Check out 1911 fourm Do not buy a 1911 with price in mind if you do you you will get to know a gun smith and he will be in your pocket in a big way. http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php
    take your time and be informed and not be committed to a cheap gun that you will have to get running by poring $1000 +++ into it

The special editions are neet but not really smart to shoot it will take away from the value . If it were me I would just get one of the top five 1911 do your home work and you will soon learn who falls into the top five list.

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    $ 750 won't get you much. You will need2K ++750 . I would look at Bear or Brown. Both are good investments and very good pistols but it would be a shame to shoot ether one . Both are very Pricey . I have handled the Brown Hendershots has one it sure is nice .

.....say what??

No really....is that not ********?? Is that not an exaggeration??

Man, that's Benelli M4 Super Bada$$, awesome AR (with DD and Larue everything), good thing I didn't have my heart set on a 1911 anyway kind of money.

If that is the money needed for one that will get the seal of approval from most, a 1911 is kinda like a Rolex to me - nice, maybe even worth the money.....but necessary??

(I am probably good for some hate with that one....if so, please direct it to a new thread :D )

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    750 will get you a used S&W 1911, a Springfield GI model, or if you can wait until it is MD approved, the Ruger SR1911. Never shot the latter, but read good things about it.

Out of those 3, my choice would be the S&W.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    .....say what??

Man, that's Benelli M4 Super Bada$$, awesome AR (with DD and Larue everything), good thing I didn't have my heart set on a 1911 anyway kind of money.

If that is the money needed for one that will get the seal of approval from most, a 1911 is kinda like a Rolex to me - nice, maybe even worth the money.....but necessary??

(I am probably good for some hate with that one....if so, please direct it to a new thread :D )
    Well I know that I would not trade my 1911s for a AR or a tactical shotgun.
    People pay 5 K + for a custom 1911, I was only talking semi custom.
    As far as ******** and exaggeration. I think you need to do your home work and you will find that that is what they go for.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    .....say what??

HK USP Tactical or MK23 SOCOM will kick most full custom 1911's ass in accuracy and reliability all day every day.

Those high end and low capacity 1911's are for nostalgic people who like old world craftsmanship and steel.

LAD3DER

Aug 24, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Bought a used Rock Island for around $400 a month ago, no issues with it at all, very pleased. I did a bit of research before purchasing and they appear to be very solid guns, main thing that people trash them for is that they are not made in the United States. I can live with that for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom