• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmdmc

Nov 8, 2007
    bmdmc - Where does the Club shoot? At Marriotsville? I didn't see that info on the web page.

krob - Thanks I will keep that in mind.

Your more than welcome to be my guest at the range. Let me know if you want to shoot, otherwise the range is open 7 days a week, and you can just meet the the range officer. He will show you around, it's a really nice range. But you probably won't be able to shoot without a member with you.

If you want to shoot as a guest, you only need a member there with you.

monumentalhp

Jan 11, 2008
    But you probably won't be able to shoot without a member with you.

That's an understatement, don't think of going there without a member. It's a great range, except for the range officers who do their best to keep anyone from wanting to return. And that IS unfortunate.

bmdmc

Nov 8, 2007
    That's an understatement, don't think of going there without a member. It's a great range, except for the range officers who do their best to keep anyone from wanting to return. And that IS unfortunate.

I don't consider it unfortunate, we pay a lot of money to keep the range as nice as it is. And luckily the rules have changed this year. Now if we could just get some reactive targets allowed, like Tannerite :eek:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    A friend of mine has a 45-120 Quigley rifle. He shoots out to 1500 yards.
    Don't ask me how.

krob

Oct 9, 2007
    bushwood md
    i have seen the 1000 yard range at camp perry that was awsome to see fog in the morning and heat mirages in the afternoon i would love to shoot at quantico some time

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Amen. At least one did not fit that description but unfortunately he was only there during the week.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    For you guys that mention wanting to try out Quantico, get with me when you'd like to go down there and I'll either sponsor you as my guest or arrange for someone there to look out for you if I can't make it that particular weekend.

Range 4 has been open pretty often, and we can get back to 1k to the frames, and steel on the berm is at 1,030.

bmdmc, where does your buddy shoot his .50 BMG? "Two miles" is a tad past 3,500 yards, and it is tough-to-impossible to find a safe spot to shoot distances like that anywhere near here. We had to go to PA to even get 2,300 yards and still had to shoot over a few "things".

FWIW and IMHO, while there is always talk of long range miracles, the 50's only *practical* advantage is it's large payload/penetration vs. hard (and large) target interdiction. Even talking custom guns, I have yet to see a .50 BMG that can effectively range past a .338 LM, due to accuracy limitations of the rifle, ammo, visibility and atmospheric conditions. I'm not really talking "theory" here, but real world accuracy limitations.

Just to put it in perspective, a top grade custom .50 BMG is typically good for about 1/2-5/8 MOA at 100 and quite simply, no one shoots groups like that at the 1k BR matches. There are just too many variables and environmental influences, and typical-to-good results are more like 3-4 inches. The current .50 BMG 1,000 yard **world record** group is 2.6": http://www.fcsa.org/visitors/worldrecords.htm

Even if we take 1 moa at 1k and beyond as "possible", at 3,500 yards that is still over 36" dispersion w/o taking into account the wind and mirage. 3-4" at 1k, not quite a record, but a very competitive 1k BR group nonetheless, is more like 12 inches at 3,500 . . .

Last edited:

bmdmc

Nov 8, 2007
    I just read about the miracle shots. But with a 50 BMG you could probably hit a tank at 2 miles, with enough velocity left to do some damage. Heck I'm lucky to hit a pin head at 50 yards.

But a 50 Cal BMG round will travel a looooonnnnggg way. And if your lucky you might even tag what your shooting at.

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    I just read about the miracle shots. But with a 50 BMG you could probably hit a tank at 2 miles, with enough velocity left to do some damage. Heck I'm lucky to hit a pin head at 50 yards.

But a 50 Cal BMG round will travel a looooonnnnggg way. And if your lucky you might even tag what your shooting at.

Sorry but being an ex tanker, you could shoot at a modern tank (non-bradley) at point blank range with a 50 BMG and all you would do it piss the people off in side because of the Gong noise it would make. Hard pressed to get past the Chobham armor, it can withstand 120mm depleted Uranium sabot hits.

Also, been lurking for the last week or so in this thread, thanks for all the good info.:D

1BadAzzWS6

Mar 19, 2008
    Catonsville, MD
    Sorry but being an ex tanker, you could shoot at a modern tank (non-bradley) at point blank range with a 50 BMG and all you would do it piss the people off in side because of the Gong noise it would make. Hard pressed to get past the Chobham armor, it can withstand 120mm depleted Uranium sabot hits.
    Also, been lurking for the last week or so in this thread, thanks for all the good info.:D

:shocked2:

cruikshank

Apr 22, 2008
    Anyone here into that. If so what do you use for caliber and scope? I would like to get into this so any info would be great. :party29:

we should get a 1k yd shoot group together. I couldn't even name a range around here that could handle that distance besides quantico.
    First you have to decide what you want to do specifically. Are you just going to shoot 1k yd. benchrest matches? F class? tactical matches? All this will factor in to caliber, action, barrel lenght etc.
    Are you gonna stick with the 30-06 or get a new rifle? How much do you have to spend on the whole she-bang? $1k-2k-3k-4k-up and up and up?
    Check out Savage
    http://www.savagearms.com/12f_class.htm
    FN Herstal SPR (special police rifles) A2, A3, A4
    Sako TRG 22 or 42
    Weatherby Mark V TRR
    Rem 700 5R milspec
    Or you could contact GA Precision, tell them what you want and give them you cc #. In about 4 months you will have what you need to get the job done, provided you do your part.

Last edited:

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Will be sticking with my Rem 700 in 30-06 for the time being. I know it won't be bench rest. Just trying to find something to get into where I can shoot other than just going to the range.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    we should get a 1k yd shoot group together. I couldn't even name a range around here that could handle that distance besides quantico.
    Or, you can come down and shoot the modifed F-class shoots with us (and "run what you brung" less than 50 BMG): http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=567132#Post567132
    First you have to decide what you want to do specifically. Are you just going to shoot 1k yd. benchrest matches? F class? tactical matches? All this will factor in to caliber, action, barrel lenght etc.
    Are you gonna stick with the 30-06 or get a new rifle? How much do you have to spend on the whole she-bang? $1k-2k-3k-4k-up and up and up?
    Check out Savage
    http://www.savagearms.com/12f_class.htm
    FN Herstal SPR (special police rifles) A2, A3, A4
    Sako TRG 22 or 42
    Weatherby Mark V TRR
    Rem 700 5R milspec
    Good advice.
    Or you could contact GA Precision, tell them what you want and give them you cc #. In about 4 months you will have what you need to get the job done, provided you do your part.
    George at GAP is a great guy and his staff are top quality 'smiths. He's done several rifles for me and I've invariably been VERY happy with them. I send the rifle down and just tell him "fix it", and when it's done, I know it will be right.

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    I'd be up for some 1000+yd training. I want to do service rifel matches again and do the ones out to 1K (but sorry you need skill with iron sights for all you glass snobs)
    However I am trying to save funds for a glass-ed gun thats a 1000+yd gun. I have cash for ammo if anyone would like to help introduce me to the glory that is 1K+

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'd be up for some 1000+yd training. I want to do service rifel matches again and do the ones out to 1K (but sorry you need skill with iron sights for all you glass snobs)
    LOL . . . as opposed to shooting "service rifle", the 1k targets we shoot (at) cannot even be seen without glass [snobbery/off] :D
    I shoot my iron-sighted M1A out to about 600-700, but, beyond that, you could line up about six of my steel plates on the front sight blade and it gets a little hard to get a precision sight picture much past 600.
    However I am trying to save funds for a glass-ed gun thats a 1000+yd gun. I have cash for ammo if anyone would like to help introduce me to the glory that is 1K+
    Invest in some FGMM .308/175s and you'll be ready to shoot almost anyone's precision .308 to 1k or a little past. FWIW, I've wrapped up a big proposal that has been smothering me for the last couple months and plan to haunt Quantico a lot more than I have lately. If you want to join us down there as my guest and check it out, LMK.

DemoDave

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 25, 2008
    Cookeysville
    Have you guys tried any of the shooting simulators? I know there is nothing like the real thing but sometimes when I can't get to the range I can still practice my math on the simulator. Here is a demo version you can play around with

http://www.shooterready.com

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Have you guys tried any of the shooting simulators? I know there is nothing like the real thing but sometimes when I can't get to the range I can still practice my math on the simulator. Here is a demo version you can play around with

http://www.shooterready.com
    That's a pretty cool site and a decent way to get familiar with mildots. For the really long range stuff, I find judging wind values over the course and coping with the change-ups to be the bigger problem.

IronicEnigma, will your rifle shoot any of the heavier SMKs? Many/most hunting rifles don't handle the slipperier Bergers well due to the (generously sized) throat geometry, but will often shoot amazing well with SMKs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom