• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I would be really worried about converting a frame that wasnt built for 10mm to one, especially if you are going to run high powered loads (as factory 10mm isnt much better than .40 S&W). There really are a few frames that are really suitable for a lot of hard 10mm loads, Glock is one of them, EAA full size is marginal.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I would be really worried about converting a frame that wasnt built for 10mm to one, especially if you are going to run high powered loads (as factory 10mm isnt much better than .40 S&W). There really are a few frames that are really suitable for a lot of hard 10mm loads, Glock is one of them, EAA full size is marginal.

Yup. I have an EAA witness full sized and I have heard they have issues with the frame cracking but they have a lifetime warranty. However, I only keep it to the heavier bullets. I shoot some 155gr hornady XTP out of them recently and I like the feel of the heavier bullets better.

I have a glock 20 in my future but if you want a pocket gun even if it's not that much "pocket to it" get the glock 29. Small, packs a punch and with the new Gen4's the double spring recoil system will make them a dream to shoot.

I might have to smuggle myself out to Blue Ridge Arsenal, I hear they have a 22 gen 4 for rent.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Yup. I have an EAA witness full sized and I have heard they have issues with the frame cracking but they have a lifetime warranty. However, I only keep it to the heavier bullets. I shoot some 155gr hornady XTP out of them recently and I like the feel of the heavier bullets better.

I have a glock 20 in my future but if you want a pocket gun even if it's not that much "pocket to it" get the glock 29. Small, packs a punch and with the new Gen4's the double spring recoil system will make them a dream to shoot.

I might have to smuggle myself out to Blue Ridge Arsenal, I hear they have a 22 gen 4 for rent.

Some of the EAA issues have probably been exaggerated, and the correct spring weights (factory light) can help. I need to tear mine down and respring it myself.

Gun lifetime warranties are only as good as the company supporitng them, EAA isnt known to be the best and you never know if they are going to be in business.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Some of the EAA issues have probably been exaggerated, and the correct spring weights (factory light) can help. I need to tear mine down and respring it myself.

Gun lifetime warranties are only as good as the company supporitng them, EAA isnt known to be the best and you never know if they are going to be in business.

I have been looking at the Wolff Springs.

Which ones are you going with? Frankly I am out of my league and there's a lot of opinions out there when I do a google search. I have also had a couple of FTF's which might be because of the springs or the mag springs might need some upgrading as well.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Clandestine recommended a two spring kit offered by Woolf that gives you the 22 and 20lb springs with a preference for the 22. Given I usually shoot light loads I would probably run the 20, but could switch up incase I start loading them a little hotter. (Frankly I run a 9mm slide on this gun more often than not)

Only problem is Midway has been sold out of them!

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=46893

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a G29SF and I too would be concerned about battering the frame with full power loads. If all you can shoot is 10mm in 135g loads, you wasted your money IMO. The 10mm realizes it's true potential at 165g or better IMO. Anything less, stick with the 40 S & W.

I shoot 180g full power loads from BB,DT.GA and Swamp Fox. The G29 is larger, but it was designed for the 10mm from the start. I'll stick with the larger gun.

The 10mm is an awesome caliber. Hope it becomes more popular this time around.

My .02

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I like my G29SF so much I'm trying to find a Colt Delta Elite to keep it company. Most places don't seem to have them. Still looking

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a G29SF and I too would be concerned about battering the frame with full power loads. If all you can shoot is 10mm in 135g loads, you wasted your money IMO. The 10mm realizes it's true potential at 165g or better IMO. Anything less, stick with the 40 S & W.

I shoot 180g full power loads from BB,DT.GA and Swamp Fox. The G29 is larger, but it was designed for the 10mm from the start. I'll stick with the larger gun.

The 10mm is an awesome caliber. Hope it becomes more popular this time around.

My .02

Running high velocity, low weight ammo ensures expansion with hollow point bullets. And being able to run 10mm ammo in a small frame pistol outweighs some points you are making. I'll take more 10mm pistols, so I can drop the .40 S&W out of my arsenal.

BTW, I currently own two 10mms, and am working on converting another .40 into a 10mm. I'm just throwing options out there for people who might be interested.

Jim

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I've been looking into the 10mm lately. The Swamp Fox loads are decent:

I bet this 200gr. kicks like a mother:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Running high velocity, low weight ammo ensures expansion with hollow point bullets. And being able to run 10mm ammo in a small frame pistol outweighs some points you are making. I'll take more 10mm pistols, so I can drop the .40 S&W out of my arsenal.

BTW, I currently own two 10mms, and am working on converting another .40 into a 10mm. I'm just throwing options out there for people who might be interested.

Jim

IMO Penetration is as important as expansion. The bullet can expand to 1 inch but if it doesn't reach vital organs all you have is a big hole with a possible shallow wound channel.The challenge is finding the happy medium between velocity and total force and momentum. I didn't say it was a bad idea to run 10mm in a small frame pistol.I imagined due to the small frame it will be more prone to failure. Isn't that why the 40 was invented? Running a lite version of a 10mm allowed the use of 9mm frames. It wouldn't have held up very long with fulll power 10m loads

That's all I was sayin

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    IMO Penetration is as important as expansion. The bullet can expand to 1 inch but if it doesn't reach vital organs all you have is a big hole with a possible shallow wound channel.The challenge is finding the happy medium between velocity and total force and momentum. I didn't say it was a bad idea to run 10mm in a small frame pistol.I imagined due to the small frame it will be more prone to failure. Isn't that why the 40 was invented? Running a lite version of a 10mm allowed the use of 9mm frames. It wouldn't have held up very long with fulll power 10m loads

That's all I was sayin

I see what you're saying. It's just that a 135gr bullet is heavier than a 125gr 0.357" diameter bullet, and that's worked out pretty well. That frame is used for everything from 9mm to 45 ACP. The reason the guy on that forum used this gun is the frame is strong, the original caliber is .40 S&W, and the magazine is long enough for the bigger 10mm cartridge. You'd still get faster than .40 out of a small package. And it's a belly gun, so you aren't going to be using it for Bullseye. I'm thinking of picking one up now to do the conversion myself. The original gun doesn't cost a fortune, and I'd rather have more power. It's all good!

Jim

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I see what you're saying. It's just that a 135gr bullet is heavier than a 125gr 0.357" diameter bullet, and that's worked out pretty well. That frame is used for everything from 9mm to 45 ACP. The reason the guy on that forum used this gun is the frame is strong, the original caliber is .40 S&W, and the magazine is long enough for the bigger 10mm cartridge. You'd still get faster than .40 out of a small package. And it's a belly gun, so you aren't going to be using it for Bullseye. I'm thinking of picking one up now to do the conversion myself. The original gun doesn't cost a fortune, and I'd rather have more power. It's all good!

Jim
    The only thing I think I would do differently than the guy on that site is get a heavier recoil spring for it. Not use the spring that is designed for .40S&W.

Other than that, I'm with you. I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap AMT in .40 :innocent0

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    FWIW, one of the guys we shoot with had a 10mm witness that had a flaw in the slide (it experienced a small crack after some use) and he sent it back. Month later he had it back in hand and they upgraded it to a Match upper for him.

I have a fullsize and compact witness frame (both new large frame size) and slides of both lengths in 10mm and 45acp. I've shot the snot out of the .45 with everything and the 10mm has eaten mostly my (admittedly warm) 180gr Montana Gold loads for over two years. Boss has two tens and a .45. both 10s are high round count and using my handloads. So far no breakages.

I don't know about durability difference between Witness and Glock, as boss owns both guns (G20 and above discussed witnesses) and is a major 10mm nut. both guns seem to hold up well to his use.

As always, your preferences and mileage may very.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom