• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    In the 22 years I've been in DC this hasn't changed. The faces change, the city tolerance ebbs and flows but the situation doesn't improve. As a nation out mental health system is appalling and many of these people desperately need treatment.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I’ll ask. I’ve gotten him coats and blankets before but honestly i think he’s good. He has “house” he built that’s insulated with those yellow FD blankets and heavy plastic. He built it from scrap wood.
    wow you're truly a class A standup guy, super nice of you to help out like that.

i know there are a lot of folks on the street that made their own beds, so to say, but surely some just experienced a bunch of bad luck to put them in that position. sad.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    There were tons of homeless in DC for decades, it's nothing new.

Actually, that can be said about every major city.
    I've worked in DC for the last 18yrs and in the last 2 years I've seen a major uptick in the homeless population. Almost every underpass for 395 has a camp with several folks in it. Most/all seem to have mental issues.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I've worked in DC for the last 18yrs and in the last 2 years I've seen a major uptick in the homeless population. Almost every underpass for 395 has a camp with several folks in it. Most/all seem to have mental issues.
    95% but IMHO you’re seeing more because the housing market is hot and the flips are still there so they can’t stay in Bandos. Plus if you read HUDs report DCHA is failing miserably as of late.

Then there’s this which has basically every Gov agency scared of an ambulance chaser.

Then you got Casa Ruby emptying the bank account and fleeing the country.

I saw all that to again say it’s always been there but you’re seeing more because it’s essentially allowed to be more visible.

Attachments

• 3B64DD87-5266-49D4-8876-FDD37B5E205B.png
      3B64DD87-5266-49D4-8876-FDD37B5E205B.png
      191.5 KB · Views: 83

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    It's not much better in AA co. , it just doesn't get any attention. There are homeless camps all up and down the Rt 10 corridor. Over the next month when the leaves start to fall is when they become most visible. And there is always the big one on the right side of the ramp from Rt 100 to Rt 2 southbound.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I was stunned by the homeless camp near the Bel Air bypass when I lived up there. I had no idea they were there.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I’ll ask. I’ve gotten him coats and blankets before but honestly i think he’s good. He has “house” he built that’s insulated with those yellow FD blankets and heavy plastic. He built it from scrap wood.
    That's cute but who pays for his health insurance and whatnot? You said he is diabetic and that can get expensive real quick.. not to mention regular old fart problems...

Chase Houston

MDS, MSI, NRA Lifetime
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2022
    Chevy Chase, MD
    That's cute but who pays for his health insurance and whatnot? You said he is diabetic and that can get expensive real quick.. not to mention regular old fart problems...

In DC proper there are a few healthcare orgs for the Homeless. Unity Health comes to mind, and there are others. Medicaid is another resource, but I’m not sure it applies without a fixed address. I volunteer my services through a non-profit in “challenged” areas of the District, mostly Columbia Heights and Mt. Pleasant, and see homeless, substance dependency sufferers, and folks afflicted by behavioral health issues on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You know that’s a good question but not my place to ask. I have no clue how he manages it besides diet.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Should this be in the watercooler as it doesn't have anything to do with firearms?
    The regional threads don't generally specifically relate to firearms, but to issues specific to that location. This one is about DC, so probably reasonable to leave it here.

urbantchr

Jun 22, 2021
    According to the New York Post there are over 20 Bidenvilles...I mean...homeless camps in DC. Now if we had a Republican President during this it would be front-page news in the mainstream media and a lead story on the mainstream broadcasts. The hypocrisy is palpable...but it always is when it comes to the Democrats and their whore media...but I repeated myself.

Bidenvill

According to the New York Post there are over 20 Bidenvilles...I mean...homeless camps in DC. Now if we had a Republican President during this it would be front-page news in the mainstream media and a lead story on the mainstream broadcasts. The hypocrisy is palpable...but it always is when it comes to the Democrats and their whore media...but I repeated myself.

Bidenvilles
    Always wondered why one would choose homlessness where there are harsh winters and freezing to death is an issue. Just down rt95 are subtropics.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Always wondered why one would choose homlessness where there are harsh winters and freezing to death is an issue. Just down rt95 are subtropics.
    In addition to the northeast I’ve seen a lot of homeless in the south and out west. Down south bigger bugs, snakes and if your down south far enough alligators to contend with. Id say Hawaii and California have the highest homeless populations.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've known a few that were snowbirds. They got a bus ticket to FL in Nov, show back up in DC in April.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Some people are on the straight and narrow, but just dont want to fit into what most people consider normal. Some days I think a life like his would be nice. Wake up with no stress of keeping clients happy, worrying about up coming bills, and so on.
    A modern day mountain man,,, but there are no more mountains you can go just live in and live off the land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom