• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I understand this is the internet and the need of a few to post regardless of any actual practical hands on; and,

My Google fu is pretty good so,

this post is AIMED AT any who

ARE ACTUALLY USING (or have actually used) the barrel-vise-jaws being recommended.

I have a taccom ulw 15-22 barrel enroute https://taccom3g.com/product/16-ulw-barrel-for-mp-15-22/#comment-229718

along with the 15-22 barrel nut wrench and barrel extension removal tools https://www.hwsteelinc.com/

however, I need to find a set of barrel-vise-jaws that will work with 15-22 barrels.

Thanks in advance for any guidance! - BASED ON ACTUAL USE

Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Righty Tighty- Lefty Losey
    The last thousand times MDS posters intended to write some form of the word “lose” and instead wrote some form of the word “loose”, we finally get a chance for the actual proper use of the word “loose”, and we get a “losey”. C’mon Jack!
    :poke::innocent0

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The last thousand times MDS posters intended to write some form of the word “lose” and instead wrote some form of the word “loose”, we finally get a chance for the actual proper use of the word “loose”, and we get a “losey”. C’mon Jack!
    :poke::innocent0
    I'm sure he just meant "Lucy".

Won't a standard set of AR-15 barrel vise jaws work?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Won't a standard set of AR-15 barrel vise jaws work?

I’m ASSuming so; however; I figured I’d inquire here before buying a set …

(even then, I‘d like to know if there is best bet set or, any to avoid; I’ve found some synthetic jaws less than 100% reliable for round stock and see some aluminum but, I’ve never used aluminum jaws on rifle barrels )

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ETA: I have never worked on a 15-22.

I use a set of aluminum jaws in a relatively large vise and use a piece of paper with rosin on it to prevent aluminum tracking on the barrel.

Works 95% of the time on standard AR barrels with sensibly installed muzzle devices. Once in a while I will get a crazy-tight muzzle device and it will slip, and I have to go directly against the aluminum to get a grip. This often results in light aluminum tracking on the barrel, which comes off with Wipe-Out. Always start out with it as tight as possible.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Thanks.

Based on your use, I found a set at tacticool22.com: https://www.tacticool22.com/product/barrel-vise-jaws-for-rifle-and-pistol-barrels/

(a member on another forum said he drilled out a block of wood and then cut it in half lengthwise and I intend to do that; however; it will be awhile before I have that time and the aluminum ones will help me accomplish the barrel swap, pronto !

Im pretty stoked about getting this ULW bbl swapped on to one of our 15-22 receivers - The 15-22 with a ULW I handled in FLA felt like it couldn’t have weighed more than 3 to 3-1/2 lbs … and I see me investing at least a couple more - crazy lightweight!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom