• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    polymer 80 receiver. It might not have a serial number at all. The black glue substance looks like a repair made in the FCG pin area.
    Upon further inspection I think you are right about a 80% polymer lower. Recessed rear takedown pin

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I was told, at a local, very popular and well regarded gun store, upon seeing an AR pistol for sale with a vertical grip on it, that exact same grip in fact, that that particular grip is only like 84 degrees, and if you put it on backwards it does not count as a VFG. I don't know what backwards had to do with it, maybe anything past 90 is vertical? I didn't pursue the issue.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I was told, at a local, very popular and well regarded gun store, upon seeing an AR pistol for sale with a vertical grip on it, that exact same grip in fact, that that particular grip is only like 84 degrees, and if you put it on backwards it does not count as a VFG. I don't know what backwards had to do with it, maybe anything past 90 is vertical? I didn't pursue the issue.
    The law has been interpreted to to only be 90 degree for grips. Angled grips are legal, and angled means anything that is not 90 degrees.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    The law has been interpreted to to only be 90 degree for grips. Angled grips are legal, and angled means anything that is not 90 degrees.
    yeah, so this one is like 84 or 86 degrees or whatever. Despite being named the "VFG"
    That is almost exactly what he said, but I didn't see how backwards factored in.

I mean, if thats the rule, it just comes down to who can more accurately measure. Nothing is exactly 90 degrees.

I am curious to see the interpretation. I thought the SC (South Carolina, not SCOTUS) case was the only one that has tested it, and it was killed before they even got to define it. SC said adding a grip does not equate to manufacturing an AOW, in direct opposition to the ATF position, and the matter was dismissed before it got that far.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I mean, if thats the rule, it just comes down to who can more accurately measure. Nothing is exactly 90 degrees.
    If you look the wording is "obvious angle". So it needs to be enough of a not 90 degree to see that it is not 90 degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom