• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    Really debating on buying a 17HMR. As it will be my first rifle i this caliber what do you guys recommend? I hear alot of fuzz about the savage 93r. But I think i saw a mossberg 817 at walmart for a good price and debating buying it. Its mainly going to be a plinker/small varmint gun so I really dont need to go through the roof with making it perfect. I already do own a ruger 10/22 at the moment. However I might be selling it here shortly. I just have to do my research on selling unregulated firearms to keep me out of trouble that I do not want to get into. Any ways whats your guys input on the .17HMR round vs 22lr. what gun do you recommend if I were to but a .17HMR. Thanks!!!

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Great little round for plinking and punching paper. Accurate as all hell. High velocity tends to tear up meat though so not the best choice for small game. I would recommend a Henry Frontier Octagon. Model number H001TV. Great gun and classic too.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The rounds are crazy expensive compared to 22LR and I think the caliber could be a relic in ten years. Modern 22LR HP bullets, especially the 40gr variety, are anything but timid within 100 yards. For just plinking up to 200-300 yards, 22LR is plenty good enough and a scoped 10/22 is a perfect choice. If you want to step up in caliber and distance, then .223, .308, and/or .30-06 are logical choices.

If your 10/22 is the midget variety (short stock, short barrel), then maybe just sell it and get a 10/22 Sporter, especially the one with a 22" barrel (Ruger #1150).

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    2z52bmg.jpg

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    If your going to go with a centerfire varmint round - I would opt for a .223 Remington. The main reason being the cost of ammo-and if you reload the brass is everywhere- usally free.

I think the .204 Ruger will be another one that goes to obscurity. The performance is not much different from a .223.

Now if you really want a varmint caliber with some balls - look into a 22-250.

If you have your heart set on a smallerbore I would look into a 17 centerfire, like a 17 Remington. Your talking over 4000 FPS out of the muzzle.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    thanks alot deep creek Ill check into these. So you guys think .17HMR ans ruger 204 an a few years will be kind of obsolete? I dont want that. im new to smaller caliber hence new to guns really only been doing it for 2 years or so. I only own a SKS, mosin Nagant M38, Ruger10/22 and a Ruger Gp100 357mag revolver. As far as the 17 centerfire is that the same size as a 17hmr with just more balls or am i mistaken and I guess I will have to do some research on the 22-250 as well. But really thanks alot deep creek I will do some research.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    I just really hope the 7.62X54R does not go away because in all honesty I have shot an ak47 sks ar15 m14 springfield 1902 I think its called the 30-06 but My favorite gun to shoot is still my little old Mosin nagnt m38 carbine. When i pull the trigger people really go WOW wtf was that.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I like my Savage 93R TR. 50rds of CCI 20G FMJ (which my rifle shoots best with) is usually $12-14. I usually don't shoot more than 75-80rds when I take it out, so the price doesn't concern me. I am able to shoot dime size groups at 100yds in calm wind. I bought it for target shooting and maybe a little small game if I get the chance.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    thanks alot deep creek Ill check into these. So you guys think .17HMR ans ruger 204 an a few years will be kind of obsolete? I dont want that. im new to smaller caliber hence new to guns really only been doing it for 2 years or so. I only own a SKS, mosin Nagant M38, Ruger10/22 and a Ruger Gp100 357mag revolver. As far as the 17 centerfire is that the same size as a 17hmr with just more balls or am i mistaken and I guess I will have to do some research on the 22-250 as well. But really thanks alot deep creek I will do some research.

A 17HMR is basically a necked down 22 Magnum. While the 17HMR might have more speed, the 22 Magnum has more foot pounds of energy. But in a nutshell both are just the next step up from a 22LR round.

17Rem has far more energy and speed over the 17HMR, and is a centerfire round, and can be reloaded as well. It is also alot more flatter shooting then the 17HMR. There are a few 17 centerfire variants out there - most are wildcats, although I think Remington intro'd a 17 -221 fireball round a few years back, which is a .221 Fireball case necked down to a .17 caliber. They do offer already loaded ammo, but it is not cheap nor popular. More then likely that will head down the obscure lane.

The 17 Remington has been around for a good while, and still is offered today on both rifles, & ammo.

The .223 is a very common round, and for varmint work is great. In a bolt gun, with good ammo they are quite accurate, even more so if you load your own correctly. They make good target rifles, as long as your respect its shooting limits.

22-250 is probably the next step up, and is probably one football field flatter then a .223. There is also a .220 Swift, which is slightly faster then the 22-250, but has a far more powder capacity- But the 22-250 does almost the same with less powder.

The 17HMR is popular with small fur bearing hunters -mainly fox hunters, since pelt damage is minimal. For larger critters like coyotes, the 17HMR is a bit underpowdered, especially if the shot needs to be far.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    damn deep creek rock you know your shit bro. Basically I live near the city so the most i do is target practice at a rifle range. Barely ever get a chance to shoot on property maybe once every 5 years because i know no one with property big enough to shoot on although I would love to have a 223 or .17hmr or 22mag scoped and go hunt some fox or groundhogs or squirrels at that. but like i said I know no one with land so Im stuck to rifle ranges and indoor pistol ranges. Which blows because the closest rifle range is about 45 minutes away for me to shoot my mosin and the pistol ranges are fairly close but i can only use my ruger 10/22 and 357 mag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom