• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    Your preference in bbl length, 18.5" vs 20" for home defense.

An 18.5" bbl I'm thinking would be my choice just due to ease of moving around the house.

Not liking pistol grips, I'm even considering the Mossberg 590A1 compact just due to size.

Your thoughts?

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i'd prefer a sbs but i bought a 20" because the 18.5(which is ONLY 1.5" shorter) has a mag tube that could be longer, that was literally my main reason for buying a 20 over 18.5 500A1.

i plan to buy a 590 later on and getting the one round extension and then getting a sbs 500 to replace or sit beside my 20". best of both worlds!!

john

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I personally don't think you will notice much of a difference in the length. Being in the PRMD, peoples republik of Maryland, you may come under scrutiny for trying to clear your house, collecting the family and hunkering down will probably be easier to defend in court.

As far as the gun goes, do what ever you want- this is just a consideration, but the location of the safety on the Mossberg is not optimum for the pistol grip stock. I do like the idea of the adjustable stock, but the 870 will be more ergonomic in that configuration.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Given only an inch and a half difference, my vote is go for the one that holds more rounds!

This

I'm not personally a fan of pistol grips on a shotgun but that's just my personal preference. As far as barrel length goes, I think extra capacity probably exceeds any possible disadvantage due to an extra inch and a half.

My 500 Persuader in 20" meets my needs in stock trim so I left it that way. Get what appeals to you, keep it maintained, and it won't let you down.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    nah you just need more shotguns like my four(695 boltgun for walking critters, 28" 835 for flying critters, baikal OU for fun, and the persuader for things that go bump)..... and i want more!!

i also have a persuader and as far as length goes it could stand to loose a little on the buttstock end... i'll be investing in a colapsable after X-mas. sounds like we all agree though more fire power!!:gun3:

john

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    These are nice.
    20" 590, blued first, matte second
    50645.jpg

50660.jpg

To shorten it, either swap the stock with a 13" Speedfeed Youth or 12" Hogue. Then you could add a slip-on Limbsaver pad to the back to recover LOP and/or provide extra cushy recoil protection.

For HD, consider adding a bayonet like S&W SW3B.

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    I personally don't think you will notice much of a difference in the length. Being in the PRMD, peoples republik of Maryland, you may come under scrutiny for trying to clear your house, collecting the family and hunkering down will probably be easier to defend in court.

As far as the gun goes, do what ever you want- this is just a consideration, but the location of the safety on the Mossberg is not optimum for the pistol grip stock. I do like the idea of the adjustable stock, but the 870 will be more ergonomic in that configuration.

http://delegatemike.com/?p=2298
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2518345/posts

In 2010 the liberal dems and king dem of maryland gov o'malley actually passed and signed into law marylands castle doctrine, surprise surprise.

Well you guys certainly changed my mind, still no pistol grip, but a 20" bbl. And NO 26" to use on skeet later on in life. I've tried skeet and trap, not to my liking.

We can close this thread now, no more replies necessary.

Thanks guys.

wizzer368

Zombie Slayer
    Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern shore of MD
    I use a remington 870 with the 18.5 inch barrel. The stock is the speedfeed IV S and i picked up a cheap tac light at dicks on sale it s only 4+1.

Attachments

• 870.JPG
      870.JPG
      45.3 KB · Views: 608

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I have the 18.5" Mossberg 590A1 and I bought it over the 20" because of the weight balance. Fully loaded, the 20" one will be much more front heavy than the 18.5"

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    I have the 18.5" Mossberg 590A1 and I bought it over the 20" because of the weight balance. Fully loaded, the 20" one will be much more front heavy than the 18.5"

Guess I was wrong, good info, thanks

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I'll still stick with a 26" gun. In the early days of IPSC when we shot some 2 gun matches, I put together a 26" 20ga 1100. It had a 10 shot mag extension and that was it. I never had a maneuverability issue, even when shooting from some tight shooting positions. The longer bbl (not all that long by today's standards) allows easier pointing and therefore better accuracy. The extra weight forward with that sort of gun is a good thing, not a detraction. If any of you have a 26" bbl for your gun, give it a try.

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    http://delegatemike.com/?p=2298
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2518345/posts

In 2010 the liberal dems and king dem of maryland gov o'malley actually passed and signed into law marylands castle doctrine, surprise surprise.

Well you guys certainly changed my mind, still no pistol grip, but a 20" bbl. And NO 26" to use on skeet later on in life. I've tried skeet and trap, not to my liking.

We can close this thread now, no more replies necessary.

Thanks guys.

Let me add:

At my age, in 25 years I'll probably be pushing up daisy's.

Here's what I bought on Auction Arms yesterday, http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10704701

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom