• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Hey all,

Tried to scroll through a bunch of pages here but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Kind of new to long range shooting, just got my first AR10. 18" barrel. What sort of glass would you recommend for longer range shooting? I can't imagine I'd ever shoot past 500 yards but would like to be able to push it to 800 if possible. Trying to keep it $2500 and under.

Is 18 enough to bang a 36" steel plate at 800yrd?

Also, I'm assuming FFP, mil dot instead of moa, standard reticle?

This is what I was looking at, but would love some feedback before I drop that much coin.

Thanks!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hey all,

Tried to scroll through a bunch of pages here but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Kind of new to long range shooting, just got my first AR10. 18" barrel. What sort of glass would you recommend for longer range shooting? I can't imagine I'd ever shoot past 500 yards but would like to be able to push it to 800 if possible. Trying to keep it $2500 and under.

Is 18 enough to bang a 36" steel plate at 800yrd?

Also, I'm assuming FFP, mil dot instead of moa, standard reticle?

This is what I was looking at, but would love some feedback before I drop that much coin.

Thanks!

18 is more than enough to reach out to 800 yards, I personally prefer more magnification. I run a Vortex Viper PST at 24x. I prefer FFP so the marks on the reticle are accurate at any magnification.
    MIL or MOA makes no difference, I’d use what you’re comfortable with.
    You can certainly get a great scope for less than that but generally speaking the more you spend the better the glass will be.
    At your price point I’d also look at Nightforce as well as the Vortex Razor series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    For that budget there are plenty of choices, but I’m not sure you’ll make the most out of a high end scope on an AR10 platform rifle.

You could mount an Arken EP5 that could get you to 500+ yards, and that scope is running $500 or so depending on what promotions are going on.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    At that budget, I would get this.

Otherwise there are plenty of models from Nightforce and Sightron that will work for you.
    Don't limit your magnification just because it will work. If you want to just see if you like FFP scopes. The Vortex Venom is a good choice. It's only $500 but punches above its price

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    At that budget, I would get this.

Otherwise there are plenty of models from Nightforce and Sightron that will work for you.
    Don't limit your magnification just because it will work. If you want to just see if you like FFP scopes. The Vortex Venom is a good choice. It's only $500 but punches above its price
    Watch the shootout videos on YouTube - the Arken scopes tend to do better in almost every regard against the Vortex Venom, and they actually cost less. A possible better option if we're still looking at Vortex - a bit higher priced, but better in almost every way - would be the Strike Eagle.

I have two Arken scopes, and both seem to be very good. Then again, I don't have a ton of experience with rifle scopes, but it compared quite favorably to my friend's Nightforce NX8. Was it as good? Not quite. Was the Nightforce $1200 better? (My friend paid roughly $1800 for his - I paid just over $500 for mine) Arguably no.

There's a video that does a direct comparison of an Arken EP5 against a Nightforce ATACR - it's actually a 2-part video with each video is about 40 minutes long. The guy really goes through the nitty gritty, and the Arken actually compared very well given the massive price difference between the two.

A $2500 scope on an 18" AR platform is not a good use of money. Get one of these and call it a day...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A $2500 scope on an 18" AR platform is not a good use of money. Get one of these and call it a day...
    I thought similarly - I can see it on a precision bolt gun, but not on an AR.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    18 is more than enough to reach out to 800 yards, I personally prefer more magnification. I run a Vortex Viper PST at 24x. I prefer FFP so the marks on the reticle are accurate at any magnification.
    MIL or MOA makes no difference, I’d use what you’re comfortable with.
    You can certainly get a great scope for less than that but generally speaking the more you spend the better the glass will be.
    At your price point I’d also look at Nightforce as well as the Vortex Razor series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like MOA since the increments are slightly smaller than MIL. .36" per .1MIL Vs. .25" per 1/4MOA.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    ~3-18x is about the sweet spot for the shooting you're describing, IMHO. 4-20 could also work.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Why not the Gen II in 5-25? BTW I have a PST 6-24 in an ADRECON mount for sale. PM if interested. On an AR I would definitely get a one-piece QD mount.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I run a 2.5-10x ffp bushnell on a 16" ar10 and have no trouble on a 12" gong at 500yds. One day I hope to get the time to take that rig out to pntc to stretch it out more and find out where that 16" tube falls on its face. A 3-18x would fit nicely on a 18" and be plenty of scope for gongs as far away as you care to try with a 18" 308.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    That's a lot of useful features for cheap. How is the glass on this compared to the PST GEN I?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    +1.

I have a 20" AR10 with a bull barrel with a similar scope. It's the second scope I've had on the rifle. Anything more costly is just wasting money. The 10 is so much looser than a bolt gun, high-end optics are useless unless you're shooting low light or prefer to spot and aim with the same optic.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I have a Burris XTR 2 5-25x 50 on my 18” but I have yet to take it out to any distance beyond 100 yards. It’s probably more scope than I need on a gas gun. It will probably move over to a dedicated long range bolt gun whenever I get around to putting one together.
    I feel like a good 2.5-10 would do just fine on it so one of the mid range vortex is probably what it will get.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have a 20" AR10 with a bull barrel with a similar scope. It's the second scope I've had on the rifle. Anything more costly is just wasting money. The 10 is so much looser than a bolt gun, high-end optics are useless unless you're shooting low light or prefer to spot and aim with the same optic.
    I'm not sure I agree with this line of thought. I know where you're coming from, but I think you absolutely do need the ability to spot your own hits (or, rather, misses). You will not always have a spotter. AR-308s can also be quite accurate if you choose the right barrel; I've made hits out at 1000+ with a ~1 MOA rifle, it's really about what you're shooting at and having the platform and gear to do it.

All of this is to say, if someone wants to slap a Razor GenII or III on their high quality AR-308, I don't see that as wasting money per se. Look at what the PRS gas gun guys are doing.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I'm not sure I agree with this line of thought. I know where you're coming from, but I think you absolutely do need the ability to spot your own hits (or, rather, misses). You will not always have a spotter.
    unless you're shooting low light or prefer to spot and aim with the same optic.

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom