• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I bought this rifle a few years back, finally got around to repairing and doing some restoration work on it. More importantly, I finally found a USMC Unertl scope I could afford (thanks to a friend.)

I just got lucky and wasn't sure positive on what I was looking at at first. Two interesting things that were among the Quartermaster records were...

1) Collectors called them the "Model 1941 Sniper" or "M1941 Unertl Sniper rifle." They were given no such designation. They were simply referred to as "rifles fitted with telescopic sights."

2) The USMC looked for scopes as early as 1940. They approached "Noske" but he replied that he has not made any scopes in years and the last ones he sent to the USMC, the Marines never paid him for. Someone at the Quartermaster's office said "doesn't John Unertl make scopes?" The rest is history.

I got it relatively cheap because the rear sight base was severely damaged and the handguard wasn't even a proper reproduction. A good friend installed a rear sight base (with the proper service rifle drawing number) and fitted a handguard with the scope block cutout.

It's an interesting rifle because it's (likely) one of the 574 Special Targets (reconditioned Match rifles) which were set aside as potential platforms for the USMC sniper rifle. The rifle also has a bolt with National Match polishing characteristics, it was then blued (as mentioned in the paperwork). And when a polished bolt is blued, the finish on the bolt turns to a "plumb brown" as described by collectors. The bolt also does not have Springfield Armory handwriting but USMC style electric penciling. It could just be a replacement bolt that was force matched by an armorer, but no way to be certain.

The rifle's serial number is 1496175, the stock is serialized 1496210.

The barrel is stamped at the top and collectors commonly refer to them as the "Philly Star" but no evidence has surfaced to definitively say what it meant at the time.

The handgun pictured is M1911 SN 3175 which was in the first lot of 300 M1911s that went to the USMC in 1912. Thought it paired well with it for some reason.

Have a great day all.

cKO6Xzml.jpg

nVTEpmgl.jpg

OpSGSFzl.jpg

sDKRKmbl.jpg

DygseHJl.jpg

upznWlAl.jpg

fSc5jPhl.jpg

wF0EUiDl.jpg

aZXSyuDl.jpg

5av2Nefl.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Sweet! Almost too scared to ask what the Unertl set you back. My last Unertl I got cheap because the crosshairs were gone. Got to learn how to install a new set as a result. Not so scared of the process now, pretty simple.
    Love that you have all this documentation to go with it. Really adds a lot to the rifle's history.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Pretty rifle.

I'm not real big in vintage mil rifles, but that is one I would not pass up right there.

I've got a good friend who rebuilt one from the receiver out. Original stock and receiver, new barrel/bolt, and a reproduction Unertl scope(cause he ain't rich). He shoots Camp Perry every year in the Vintage Sniper class. He and his teammate usually finish in the top 3.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Sweet! Almost too scared to ask what the Unertl set you back. My last Unertl I got cheap because the crosshairs were gone. Got to learn how to install a new set as a result. Not so scared of the process now, pretty simple.
    Love that you have all this documentation to go with it. Really adds a lot to the rifle's history.
    Ofcourse I don't mind. I paid 2k through a friend. He gave me a great price. I wanted a low SN that was either parked or had worn bluing. Parked wouldn't be correct for WWII but it at least suggests use.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I was honestly lukewarm about the rifle at first, but once I was able to secure a scope I could afford (5 years waiting) and picked up some gear, made for some fun display/photography to kill some time. Now I love it.

I forgot to add some of the pictures showing how bad it was and why I likely got it dirt cheap. Thankfully my friend was able to repair it and do a beautiful job with the sight base and handguard.

MMs98ozl.jpg

78rEfeJl.jpg

dYkUHPGl.jpg

(someone tried to remove the sight base by grinding it off and gave up, not understanding the two pins holding it in place.)

oymsyIQl.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yikes lucky they didn't get more creative for problem solving.
    Tell me about the rear block.
    Is the one in the last set of pictures the original or the one thats on it now.
    I had read but cannot confirm for lack of studying an original or being able to view pictures of an accurate representative for that matter, that there was a small bit of clearance between the rear block and the rear of the sight collar.
    I take it that the last set of pictures the block got swapped out hence the grinding off the rear of the collar at some other time.
    Thank goodness the same person didnt try and swap the barrel and twist or break something becuase they didnt remove the front screw or something to get it apart.

Jul 1, 2012
    Awesome rifle... outside my wheelhouse but I can certainly appreciate it, your search (and research), and your documentation :)
    Being a Colt collector, the 1911 sounds more awesomer and maybe a little drool dripped on the keyboard...

"The handgun pictured is M1911 SN 3175 which was in the first lot of 300 M1911s that went to the USMC in 1912. Thought it paired well with it for some reason."

cKO6Xzml.jpg

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    I got to shoot a clone of one of these over Memorial Day weekend. At 300 yards it was extremely accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom