• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2shots

Oct 14, 2010
    I have searched all the threads concerning this topic, but have'nt found the awsers Im looking for. I'm going to by one of these kits for my 1991 A1. What I need is some of you out there may have 1 or more of these kits and can give me your input on witch one to purchase. I have singled it down too 3 different 22 coversion kits. I only want people who know what there talking about to respond please. I already have 3 pistols in .22 and I like the idea of being able to have my favorite pistol shooting my funest round.

1) Kimber Conversion kit... No fitting @ all drops in and go.

2) Advantage Arms Conversion....Drop in and go....Last bullet slide stays open

3) Marvel Percision...Drop in and go....Round Top design

I did'nt look for this but I'm wondering if I have to go threw a FFL Dealer ?
    I live in Maryland so I'm asuming I do.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Conversion kits are cash and carry. They don't have a frame or receiver.

Yes, another interesting problem with the fired casing law and the approved handgun list.

BTW, which gun do you have?? Is it a Colt 1911 or a gun you bought in 1911? If it is a Colt Series 80 1911, check the specs because the Colt would have a firing pin safety. Just make sure there isn't an issue before dropping $$.

2shots

Oct 14, 2010
    Ahhhh... I have a Colt 1991 A1 1911, I believe it's the model Colt submitted to the US Gov in competition with Barretta but did'nt get the contract. So that being said I'm assuming again it would be "Mil Spec" ???

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Ahhhh... I have a Colt 1991 A1 1911, I believe it's the model Colt submitted to the US Gov in competition with Barretta but did'nt get the contract. So that being said I'm assuming again it would be "Mil Spec" ???

The US adopted the Beretta in 1984 or so, so handgun with the model of 1991 probably wasn't designed for military trial, but I may be mistaken.

What I meant by "check the specs " was to check the conversion kit specs, because the Colt 1911 is a Series 80 gun, with the Colt firing pin safety. Make sure whichever kit you buy, will work with a Colt Series 80.

BTW, nice Colt. I have one and used it as a base for a custom job.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I don't have one myself but a good friend has 2- Marvel units and says they are top notch. Another friend had a kimber and was not to happy with it.

EurAzn12

Mar 29, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I have the Kimber target kit w/ adjustable sights. Since you have the 1991 and don't have to worry about a flared magwell then you should be good to go right out the box cause the magazines flare out at the bottom and won't fit into a newer 1911 w/ a flared magwell... It's a super accurate kit and not that expensive from midwayUSA. It seems to work best with 40gr high velocity ammo though. Occasionally it has a FTF and from what I've deduced it's cause the spring in the mag isn't all that strong and doesn't push a new round up fast enough when the gun cycles so you get a canted round into the chamber, it's a quick fix with a good cleaning and enough lube on the spring to make sure it doesn't stick in the plastic mag... Can't beat 500 rounds for 15 bucks though and again, it's a really accurate kit though, coming from a picky precision marksman. My .02

2shots

Oct 14, 2010
    I have the Kimber target kit w/ adjustable sights. Since you have the 1991 and don't have to worry about a flared magwell then you should be good to go right out the box cause the magazines flare out at the bottom and won't fit into a newer 1911 w/ a flared magwell.

If you dont mind me asking....What 1911 do you have that you put your Kimber on ? So you got yours through MIDWAY ? Good I have an account with them....Do you find it easy to convert it back to shoot .45acp ? :cool:

EurAzn12

Mar 29, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I have a Springfield Armory Trophy Match. To put it on you slide the barrel and slide off the frame, slide on the conversion kit and drop in your stock slide stop. The kit stays together and you don't need to worry about the spring tension or it popping off when sliding it on the frame like you would for the original slide. It's really really easy and can be done in under a minute.

I got it through Midway, they were having a sale on em last time I checked a few weeks ago. Awesome service, same day shipping if you order before 2pm and takes like 3 days.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    I own both the Marvel and the Advantage target models. Bob Marvel started Marvel Precision, got the company on solid footing in the .22 conversion market, and was then forced out, at which point he started Advantage Arm's foray into the market. The biggest item (already noted) is the 5th round holdback (or 10th round, but bullseye shooters only load 5 at a time). There's a relief milled into the slide for a steel insert, which doesn't get battered as aluminum would. Nice design. Both the Marvel and the AA ship with REALLY bad magazines (plastic). You'll need to purchase a couple metal mags to get correct functioning. Both will shoot under an inch at 50 yards.

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    I have a Kimber kit for my Kimber 1911... so it fits and works just fine.

Had to file down the plastic magazine butts to fit when I installed my extended magwell. Spring force in magazines needs to be improved, but if you stretch them out and reinstall when cleaning every hundred+ rounds per magazine, it fixes the problem. Just about eliminated FTF's. I've only run CCI Mini Mag 40Grn plated round nose ammo through it (as suggested by all the online reviews I've read prior to buying it). Good ammo, no problems. Good kit, no problems. Adjustable sights it comes with are fine.

EurAzn12 gives a good summary above. Lots of people's reviews on MidwayUSA.

2shots

Oct 14, 2010
    After reviewing all input and researching, I've decided to go with the "Kimber Kit". Everybody gave this kit a 4 or 5 star rating, and @ $309.00 from Midway it's a no brainer. I want to thank all of you who had some positive input to share here. :cool:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    After reviewing all input and researching, I've decided to go with the "Kimber Kit". Everybody gave this kit a 4 or 5 star rating, and @ $309.00 from Midway it's a no brainer. I want to thank all of you who had some positive input to share here. :cool:

You know the rules. After you get it, post range results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom