• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Well I'm looking at the Sig Scorpion 1911

I'm wondering for a guy that can't CCW what is the differences I should consider when deciding between the carry and standard 1911??

Thanks!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If and when we ever can carry, I don't think the .75 inch shorter barrel amounts to much. The 1911 is so thin even a full size isn't difficult to conceal easily. Weight is more of a factor IMO.

That being said all 4 of my 1911's are steel full size. No plans for a smaller one.

My .02

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I agree except that I used to carry a Colt Lightweight Commander. I was young and dumb.

Is the shorter SIG a lightweight frame? If so, skip it.

Buy the 5" gun. Get some nice mags and ammo and then shoot the thing. Clean and then repeat.

BTW, I don't know if I would carry a 1911 anymore. I think a S&W M&P would be a better carry gun. (Replace the M&P with a Glock if you like that platform.)

The 1911 is an excellent carry firearm, I've open carried and concealed carried 1911s since the 70s. Try it at home first. You'll get used to the weight. What really matters is the holster. Cheaper is rarely better, so be prepared to put out some bucks.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    I like fullsize and commanders. No smaller. I have a Colt commander and I shoot it better then my S&W 1911 fullsize. Waiting on paperwork to come back on a SIG Scorpion carry right now but I plan on getting some more fullsize 1911's.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    IMO grips are the hard to conceal part of a handgun. .75" of barrel would be a negligible difference in ability to conceal, but it would be a detrimental difference in velocity and reliability of the 1911.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I like the commander (compact size), I shoot it as well as my full size. I haven't ever tried the officer (sub compact size).

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Sure it's slow but I have yet to find anybody faster than a .45 ACP.

:lol2:

Actually made me laugh out loud. My point was while the shorter slide wouldn't really add to the concealibility of the gun it take away a few fps. It most definitely will not neuter the amazing 45ACP! :D

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    It's only 3/4 of an inch difference but there is something so sexy and badass about a LW Commander for CC duty.

Of course, there is something sexy and badass about a 1911 in a Yaqui Slide holster too

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I have both Govt. and Commander size guns. I carry the Commander as it will clear the holster faster. As far as which shoots better, it depends, the Govt. models shoot great but the Commander is faster first shot. In a gun battle, the first well placed shot is what you want so any gun that gives you that then that's the gun for you. Wendy (my spouse) carries a Sig P230 .380cal but she is deadly with that gun. She was trained two shots to the chest then one to the head. I have the same style of shooting unless it's Zombies then it's head shot first. Chris

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    i've got all three...

full size, commander size and officer size...

i carry the officer sized guns more (carrying one now) but i have IWB carried the other two sizes as well... sitting is a little more of a chore with the 5" barrel but its perfectly doable...

every time i think to get a Polymer gun for CCW i find another 1911 i want... plus they are so thin, its hard to find a thin poly 45 that i'd want to drop the cash on... Im dying for the XDs to make the roster!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    i've got all three...

full size, commander size and officer size...

i carry the officer sized guns more (carrying one now) but i have IWB carried the other two sizes as well... sitting is a little more of a chore with the 5" barrel but its perfectly doable...

every time i think to get a Polymer gun for CCW i find another 1911 i want... plus they are so thin, its hard to find a thin poly 45 that i'd want to drop the cash on... Im dying for the XDs to make the roster!

The SA XD in .45 ACP has been on the roster since before Obama. Are you talking about a different version? Barrel length?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom