• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    My 1911 was shooting low with the factory fixed sights. I installed an adjustable rear sight and with it set as low as it goes, I shoot high now. So now I need to replace the front sight with a higher one. I have the old sight out. The Midway and Brownell's websites show Narrow and Wide tenon front sights. Does anybody know the dimensions of narrow and wide?
    My tenon is about .090" square, does this mean it is narrow?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Narrows Tenons range from .050-.060 wide, Medium Tenons range from .075-.085 wide, and Wide Tenons range from .110-.135 wide.

To do the job right you need a staking tool, grease, the proper sight staking support inserts, a padded vise, and know how to properly crater the inderside of the slide so the dight mushrooms properly.

To propery shave a sight to fit you need a mill, with a end mill bit. If you file by hand you can cause the front sight to not sit center.

Some slides ned a flat milled so the aftermarket sight has a good flat pad to rest on.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Narrows Tenons range from .050-.060 wide, Medium Tenons range from .075-.085 wide, and Wide Tenons range from .110-.135 wide.

To do the job right you need a staking tool, grease, the proper sight staking support inserts, a padded vise, and know how to properly crater the inderside of the slide so the dight mushrooms properly.

To propery shave a sight to fit you need a mill, with a end mill bit. If you file by hand you can cause the front sight to not sit center.

Some slides ned a flat milled so the aftermarket sight has a good flat pad to rest on.

I'd say you have another headed your way :D

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Thanks.
    I have already milled the slide to accept the rear sight. The hardening went over .100" into the slide. I could not get a carbide tap in 6-48, I bought the best one that I could get from Brownell's. The sight I bought needed it to adjust elevation. The slide was harder than the tap. I had to counter bore past the hardened part and still drill .124" (Instead of .120") to give the tap some relief.

I only have a little "Micro Mill" from Harbor Freight. It was too much for that little machine, but the front sight will be easy. I'll buy the wide tenon and mill it to fit the slide. Or maybe just make a front sight. Brownell's sells a swaging tool for 30 some dollars.

I can say I will not do this again. If I ever buy another 1911 it will have dovetails front and rear.

Thanks again for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom