• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Talk to Mopar and see if it's too late to get into the 1911 group buy. Seems like everyone likes what they ordered.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Do not bother at that price point. Save up for a Dan Wesson Valor (stainless) or a Colt. I have had great luck with them. Avoid Kimber like the plague since they will lube up a gun and send it back without looking at it (I know this because I had a gunsmith check the gun and list the faults. There were three obvious ones.). Springfield is hit or miss and I have given up on them since they are not finishing the guns at the factory.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Looking to get into the 1911 game and need suggestions. Primarily going to be a range toy so not looking to go over board. $600-700 range.

Adam M.

When I was 1911 shopping I went through process of elimination of features. For example, ambi safety and front slide serrations, I knew I didn't want those features.
    Since you mentioned "range toy"" you could start with deciding on rear adjustable target sights or dovetail sights used for carrying to avoid snagging. I also wanted an accurate range gun so I decided on adjustable rear target sights.
    Oh and springfield armory would be my vote on manufacturer in your budget range.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Do not bother at that price point. Save up for a Dan Wesson Valor (stainless) or a Colt. I have had great luck with them. Avoid Kimber like the plague since they will lube up a gun and send it back without looking at it (I know this because I had a gunsmith check the gun and list the faults. There were three obvious ones.). Springfield is hit or miss and I have given up on them since they are not finishing the guns at the factory.

But that IS his price point, so he SHOULD bother at that price point all day long. Someone will come along shortly and recommend Rock Island (maybe even American Classic), as would I at that price point.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    But that IS his price point, so he SHOULD bother at that price point all day long. Someone will come along shortly and recommend Rock Island (maybe even American Classic), as would I at that price point.

Stop making sense, dummy. ;)

:lol:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For the $, SA Range Officer with adjustable sights is best value out there. It is functionally a $1500 gun without the bells, whistles and finish. Springer is not as bad as some say.
    Ruger has shaken their pistols down pretty good. Mine ran flawlessly and the sights were well regulated, with decent accuracy.
    Metro Arms seems like a good unit also.
    Colt basically copies what everyone else has improved on their own pistol, decent guns, though.
    Rock Island....buy a Metro instead if going oceanic is in your veins.
    There are many other suggestions to come along. it is a buyer's market.
    These are all entry level and next level guns. If you keep in mind they are not semi customs you'll pic up a decent gun for the money.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County

I agree with you blaster, and since I was going to reccomend Rock island here it goes, I have a rock island GI and it functions Flawlessly. The only upgrade I did was change the grips. I know its not a colt, but its a quality shooter for $400 bucks plus transfer fee that I paid. Once day Ill add a Colt as well but for the money I dont think you can go wrong with the Rock Island OP

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    You can get an upgraded rock island for that price point (I'm thinking the nicer trigger and novak sight cuts are really good features to have especially if you want to upgrade in the future). A full size beavertail is also a nice feature for a new shooter.

The new IP (Gym sumptin sumptin) was advertising some not to long ago.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom