• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wvuguy88

Sep 11, 2013
    garrett
    I have a remington R1 in the satin black. Love it. Love the acuracy, also put on a crimson trace and upgraded the beaver tail safety to the one thats on the R1 enhanced model ,only because I have fat hands and it fits my hand a little bit better.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I'd rather have a ballpeen hammer taken to my nuts than buy a Filipino made 1911. The 1911 is an American icon. What's the point of buying some foreign copy when the real thing is available, unless your primary objective is being a cheap bastard?

Buy a Colt. If your budget can do more, get a Les Baer. Smith and Wesson, or even dare I say a RRR.....wait I can almost say it now.......RRRR Ruger are alternatives for the budget conscious.

I have some bad news for you then, Rock Island/Armscor makes a lot of the frames that American companies use to build their 1911s with, so the many of the "American" made 1911s have a little Filipino in it.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I have some bad news for you then, Rock Island/Armscor makes a lot of the frames that American companies use to build their 1911s with, so the many of the "American" made 1911s have a little Filipino in it.

I've got some bad news for you too, at least in the case of Colt and Smith & Wesson you are wrong. Colt and Smith both do their own forging and machining. Who are these American manufacturers you speak of that use Rock Island frames?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've got some bad news for you too, at least in the case of Colt and Smith & Wesson you are wrong. Colt and Smith both do their own forging and machining. Who are these American manufacturers you speak of that use Rock Island frames?

Springfield Armory does.

And just to throw this out there, I've owned two Colts, a Kimber, and a Rock Island. Not much difference between the Colts and this RIA.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Springfield Armory does.

And just to throw this out there, I've owned two Colts, a Kimber, and a Rock Island. Not much difference between the Colts and this RIA.

Springfields 1911 (and all SA pistols) frames are made by Imbel ...in Brazil not RIA/Armscor. Even the SA marked made in the USA are made in Brazil, but are finished in the USA to recieve the Made in the USA stamping.

STI Spartans frames are made by Armsor/RIA in the Phillipines.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Springfields 1911 (and all SA pistols) frames are made by Imbel ...in Brazil not RIA/Armscor. Even the SA marked made in the USA are made in Brazil, but are finished in the USA to recieve the Made in the USA stamping.

STI Spartans frames are made by Armsor/RIA in the Phillipines.

I thought ..But I maybe wrong if a Springfield has a MN before the serial number it was American made .Like the TRP and the pro.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If I was buying from the get go I would probably spend the extra money and get a Rem R1

On the cheap a Rock Island if the factory still exists.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

" Do you have any Filipino in you?"
    "no"
    "Would you like some?" LOL

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    From just looking around and from what I read if you had to go cheap Full size from Rock Islands are good. If you can afford to spend a little more I would go Ruger SR1911, Remington R1, or Springfield Armory. From my experience all production 1911's need are some cleaning and lube to keep them going.

Granted my experience is with a heavily modified and broken in Remington R1 Stainless. I have read a lot of things saying these brands are good and you just need some minor maintenance.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Problem" with 1911's is they are so heavily copied and produced. Manufacturers have put dimensions at varying tolerances to meet their theme for the pistol. Just the number manufactured will produce statistically greater numbers of problem guns, though not greater percentages. Some are more cheaply made but most work well out of the box. The level of precision in performance, fit and finish will be reflected in the cost consummerate to its tier in the marketplace.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I know how you feel, Mt. Airy. But it is a world economy. And all money above the cost of the forging and initial machining stays in the USA.

Look at the sources of parts of your American made, American auto manufacturer produced vehicle...it will have some foreign sourced parts. Matter of fact, if the first digit of the VIN number is anything but a "1", it was built in another country.

I bought a Sig 1911 because it was American developed, American built and American marketed. I followed it for some time. Some profit leaves Sig USA.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I could have bought several 1911's over the past year for less than $650 , even could have had a Kimber TRL II even up on a trade for a AR custom that I built ( still not sure that I shouldn't have taken that deal though :-) but that was a commander and I want the 5" model, but I am still holding out for a COLT!! :-)

I tell ya though, that Ruger SR1911 does look pretty sweet from time to time .....I just may have to get that one first...or the other option, is building a FUSION piece by piece...they are very sweet too....but.....I just really want a COLT to start with. sniff sniff :-( hahahahahhaha

With only a part time job right now it is just about impossible for me to come up with $900-1200 for the couple diff Colts that I want. I just saw about 30 different guns on this auction coming up, that I would like to get. There is even a MG42!!!! But, I would only need about $50K to get them all.

It is at the www.Amoskeagauction.com check it out....over 1000 old, anitque, military, and modern rifles, pistols and knives for sale....all first class stuff!! I must have spent almost an hour on that site checking out about 1/3 of the items for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom