• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So school got cancelled today and I'm stuck at home with the kids looking at anti 2A stuff, and I keep seeing the recurring "Can't yell 'Fire' in a theater" BS. So I just posted the following to FB. I'm probably repeating stuff that's bee said before, but I felt like getting it off my chest.

"I keep hearing people say that even the 1st Amendment has limitations because it is illegal to scream "Fire" in a crowded theater. They use that argument to say that no one needs semi-automatic rifles like the AR-15.

To them I say that the 2nd Amendment already has the same restrictions. It is illegal to FIRE an AR-15 in a crowded theater. It is illegal to use an AR-15 during the commission of a crime. It is illegal to use an AR-15 to cause harm to another person.

In both scenarios, the person must TAKE ACTION that directly causes or can cause harm to another person. You can talk and exercise you freedom of speech as much as you like, as long as you do not cause DIRECT harm to another person. Owning an AR-15 is no different. As long as a person is safe and does not cause direct harm to another person, they should be free to own one and use it as they see fit.

The way I look at it, considering how easily offended people get these days, the 1st Amendment actually causes MORE harm than firearms. Just this past year we heard stories of teens committing suicide because of posts by bullies on Facebook. Is it now time to shut down Facebook because people get offended to the point they commit suicide? Of course not.

The primary purpose of the 1st Amendment is to protect unpopular speech, particularly against the government. The 2nd Amendment is to protect unpopular firearms FROM the government."

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I notice you used the term "DIRECT" in upper case a couple times. What did you mean by that? My AR has never even indirectly harmed anyone, so I'm just curious.

The analogy makes sense, I'll be interested for you to post some of the responses you get. :thumbsup:

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Indirect harm would be that whole argument about "omg i have a right to walk around and not be in fear for my life because i saw that guy OC a gun"

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    By direct I mean the individual made a conscious decision to do harm or cause a panic, wasn't accidental. Direct means a predetermined willful action.

1st Amendment: choosing to yell Fire in the theater or bullying on FB
    2nd Amendment: 1st degree murder

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom