• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    I just got back from the range, it was a good outing.:)

I took 100 Winchester 95 grain FMJs.

I am pleased to report the first 50 rounds of FMJs went flawlessly. I do need to work on keeping my fingers away from the high mounted mag release button, and to firmly seat the mags, because a couple of times early on I had loading issues and looked down and saw the mag was hanging out 1/4 inch or so. This I believe was due to having not seated the mag firmly, or brushing a finger on the high mounted mag release button. After I made myself mindfull of these issues, the problems went away.

After 50 FMJs I was jazzed:), so I bought 40 JHPs, Speer Gold Dot 90 grains from the range shop, and tried them. The second shot stovepiped. I am not sure if I limpwristed it, or something else. The other 39 shots were perfect, no problems.

After the 40 JHPs I fired the last 50 WWB FMJs. I had two more stovepipes.

So, after 140 rounds were fired, my only disappointment was 3 stovepipes. I was happy that the gun operated perfectly, and had no trouble feeding the FMJs or JHPs. I found the recoil light, and had no bites.

I want to eliminate the stovepipes, so, I stopped on the way home and bought different ammo for next week: 100 rounds of Federal FMJs, and 40 rounds of Federal 90 grain Hydra Shoks. Next week I will go to the range again with the different ammo, and concentrate on holding the gun firmer on every shot.

My accuracy was not great at 25 feet, I know it's me not the gun. This gun's accuracy will be a challenge for me, with the short 3 1/2 inch barrel. But, I like challenges.:)

After all the bad stories I heard about the S&W PPK/S, I was expecting I could have had a lot more problems than I did. This gun is a keeper.:)

I think the minor trouble I had today with the stove piping is a combination of things: me getting used to a new gun, I need to maintain a firmer grip on every shot, and realize that this gun is has a reputation for having a long break in period, and being finnicky with ammo.

The bottom line is, I like the gun a lot, I am glad I added it to the herd. I think it is a quality piece, and I think I will have a lot of fun with it over the years.

Any advice would be welcomed.:)

Last edited:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I just got back from the range, it was a good outing.:)

I took 100 Winchester 95 grain FMJs.

I am pleased to report the first 50 rounds of FMJs went flawlessly. I do need to work on keeping my fingers away from the high mounted mag release button, and to firmly seat the mags, because a couple of times early on I had loading issues and looked down and saw the mag was hanging out 1/4 inch or so. This I believe was due to having not seated the mag firmly, or brushing a finger on the high mounted mag release button. After I made myself mindfull of these issues, the problems went away.

After 50 FMJs I was jazzed:), so I bought 40 JHPs, Speer Gold Dot 90 grains from the range shop, and tried them. The second shot stovepiped. I am not sure if I limpwristed it, or something else. The other 39 shots were perfect, no problems.

After the 40 JHPs I fired the last 50 WWB FMJs. I had two more stovepipes.

So, after 140 rounds were fired, my only disappointment was 3 stovepipes. I was happy that the gun operated perfectly, and had no trouble feeding the FMJs or JHPs. I found the recoil light, and had no bites.

I want to eliminate the stovepipes, so, I stopped on the way home and bought different ammo for next week: 100 rounds of Federal FMJs, and 40 rounds of Federal 90 grain Hydra Shoks. Next week I will go to the range again with the different ammo, and concentrate on holding the gun firmer on every shot.

My accuracy was not great at 25 feet, I know it's me not the gun. This gun's accuracy will be a challenge for me, with the short 3 1/2 inch barrel. But, I like challenges.:)

After all the bad stories I heard about the S&W PPK/S, I was expecting I could have had a lot more problems than I did. This gun is a keeper.:)

I think the minor trouble I had today with the stove piping is a combination of things: me getting used to a new gun, I need to maintain a firmer grip on every shot, and realize that this gun is has a reputation for having a long break in period, and being finnicky with ammo.

The bottom line is, I like the gun a lot, I am glad I added it to the herd. I think it is a quality piece, and I think I will have a lot of fun with it over the years.

Any advice would be welcomed.:)

ppks.jpg

Thats not bad, mine was one of the "nightmare guns" I think S&W's production was pretty hit and miss but sounds like you might have one that with the right ammo will perform fairly well. I am going to give Walthers another chance at some future junction but will be looking for a German made gun as I am getting picky about what I buy these days.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Yes, its brand spanking new, a S&W, tight as a drum.

I am not too concerned. The shop owner told me with this one when I bought it that it is finnicky with ammo, and that you really gotta hold this one tight, or it will give you stovepipes.

I have five other handguns and have never had a stovepipe, or been accused of limpwristing anything:), but I will work on my grip if I want to eliminate the stovepipes, or maybe the ammo change will do it, or just breaking in the gun with a regular workout, we will see.

If none of that works it is under waranty with S&W, and I can at anytime return it for repair.

The shopowner also said its got a longer than normal break in period, and dont get impatient if you intially have a few burps and farts.

Having the first 50 shots go off perfectly and then getting a few stovepipes probably means its not the gun, and that its me thats the problem. I probably relaxed a litttle or my hand/wrist/arm was fatigued after 90 shots. Time to do some isometrics!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Yes, its brand spanking new, a S&W, tight as a drum.

I am not too concerned. The shop owner told me with this one when I bought it is ammo finnicky, and that you really gotta hold this one tight, or it will give you stovepipes.

I have five other handguns and have never had a stovepipe, or been accused of limpwristing anything:), but I will work on my grip if I want to eliminate the stovepipes, or maybe the ammo change will do it, or just breaking in the gun with a regular workout, we will see.

If none of that works it is under waranty with S&W, and I can at anytime return it for repair.

The shopowner also said its got a longer than normal break in period, and dont get impatient if you intially have a few burps and farts.

Having the first 50 shots go off perfectly and then getting a few stovepipes probably means its not the gun, and that its me thats the problem. I probably relaxed a litttle or my hand/wrist/arm was fatigued after 90 shots. Time to do some isometrics!

yes fairly sure its the 200 rd break in IIRC. No issues with the WG made Walthers. all my walthers are used so no issues ever with FTF or FTE. keep shooting it and keep me informed. THX

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Good news!:)

I went back to the range today with different ammo: 100 Federal FMJs and 40 Federal JHPs Hydra Shoks.

I had absolutely no problems: 100% success!:party29:

I like Federal ammo, and use it alot. Some have told me Federal has a little more powder than the others, the gun did seem a little snappier.

Thanks for everyone's help.:)

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Good news!:)

I went back to the range today with different ammo: 100 Federal FMJs and 40 Federal JHPs Hydra Shoks.

I had absolutely no problems: 100% success!:party29:

I like Federal ammo, and use it alot. Some have told me Federal has a little more powder than the others, the gun did seem a little snappier.

Thanks for everyone's help.:)

Good to hear that things are working better with the Federal.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I'm glad you have one that runs. Mine was a total piece of crap that wasn't fixed even after sending it in to smith and wesson. I sold it promptly. Only gun I've ever had malfunction that much.

I do want to find a new interarms PPK.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I just got back from the Range, my third time with the PPK/S, I ran another 100 Federal FMJs though the PPK/S with no problems.

So, including in my last two outings, that's 240 rounds in a row with no problems.

My accuracy is improving too. I even tried firing some rounds one handed, I was surprised that my accuracy improved greatly firing one handed!

The more I use it, the more I love it!:)

Great gun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom