• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Sounds like they were finishing and selling 80% rifles

Also the magazines couldn't have been illegal unless they were purchased or made in the state, correct?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Sounds like they were finishing and selling 80% rifles

Also the magazines couldn't have been illegal unless they were purchased or made in the state, correct?

I was wondering about that too, as it is written the article doesn't make sense. Possession of any size magazine doesn't make it illegal.

What would make sense is if the 2 idiots sold or tried to sell the pistol magazines to the undercover officer, or they had evidence that they purchased them while inside the state of Maryland (ie; mail order receipt, invoice, box with address).

frednek9

Mar 11, 2013
    Sykesville
    "Police also raided the home of the other suspect. Pennington says the combined seizures include: 31 guns; some illegal, high-capacity handgun magazines; body armor vests; a pound of marijuana and $8,100 in cash."

I think its refering to the guns. Some were illegal not the high-capacity handgun magazines.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    "Police also raided the home of the other suspect. Pennington says the combined seizures include: 31 guns; some illegal, high-capacity handgun magazines; body armor vests; a pound of marijuana and $8,100 in cash."

I think its refering to the guns. Some were illegal not the high-capacity handgun magazines.

I'm no engrish major but doesn't the semi-colon separate different items in the sentence? So the groupings are "31 guns", "some illegal, high-capacity handgun magazines", "body armor vests", etc.

And why would they have seized all the guns if only some were illegal? By virtue of them having drugs isn't it illegal for them to have any firearms whatsoever?

I get what you're after though. It might just be poorly worded.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Yet the article's punctuation indicates otherwise. Not that modern newspaper reporters give a crap. It's all about how fast they can post something. Facts, accuracy, and proofreading be damned.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Semicolons break up the items in the list
    31 guns;
    some illegal, high-capacity handgun magazines;
    body armor vests;
    a pound of marijuana
    and $8,100 in cash.

31 guns was probably all the guns they could find on the property
    magazines aren't necessary illegal
    body armor isn't necessary illegal
    marijuana illegal
    cash I would hope is legal

It it also not illegal to sell a homemade firearm if you didn't intend to sell it (ie not "engaged in the business"

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I won't even bother mentioning they talk about 'assault rifles' and then they call them AR-15s.

Well... a stopped clock is right twice a day - maybe these really were both assault rifles and AR-15s (since they were homemade ARs rather than purpose-built M16s or M4s). I know I'm just speculating, but if you're going to go into the illegal gun-making business, what do you care about the NFA? It would certainly raise the guns' street value if they had full auto selector switches.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    It it also not illegal to sell a homemade firearm if you didn't intend to sell it (ie not "engaged in the business"

IANAL, but AFAIK...

It is legal to build a firearm for your own use, and not add a serial number.

It is legal to sell that receiver if you are not in the 'business' of doing so (ie, you made it for yourself, now you no longer want it), but to sell it you must engrave a serial number on it.

Frederick city police say they've charged two Mount Airy men with selling illegal assault rifles they made from legally purchased parts..

Police said Monday that the AR-15 rifles lacked serial numbers, making them untraceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom