• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    same spot, a large clump of brush and scrub hell about an acre borders the shoreline, we call the 'marsh'
    the Phragmites, on either side cut cornfields already with healthy winter wheat growing..... the pattern is the deer hang in the 'marsh' and then feed
    on the winter wheat usually towards dusk.
    I walk down there opening day - the deer are already out of the marsh.
    CRAP!
    I figger my hunt is over, but walk down there anyway and run them off,
    can barely get seated when I hear a bleating deer come BACK
    and I am seated and hadn't even put my cap on -
    BOOM!
    doe ran 150 yards into the field..
    and I am CURSING - no WAY I missed! -
    then SLAM -falls over. Lung / heart shot. Usually we have a Gator come and get the dead ones,
    but I dragged it 300 yards. For fun. Holy crap for my friends who have to drag your deer out of McKee Besher a mile. I'm spoiled.
    Friday eve, I set up down in the phrags near the waterline again, I see the herd is
    way up in the corner, and from past experience, they would hang there and the hunt is over.
    But some loud kids at the next farm drove 'em into the pines, and I knew
    from past experience they would come along the phrags in the field and eat that sweet wheat right in front of me.
    Well I set up the ambush, they push 2 young doe out front, I figgered I'm busted scent wise, then the colder air pushed the air (and my scent)
    down to the water. Meanwhile I am glued to a shooting stick, hammer cocked, sighting down the now useless scope, the deer are 10 yards away.
    10 small doe walk thru my crosshairs for 25 minutes, they were all too small, one doe had 2 young uns.. mosquitoes were biting my hands and ears.
    I had to close my eyes - the deer knew I was a human, etc., but I did not move or look at them. A couple came like 5 or 6 feet away - LOOKING AT ME.
    All too small, 70 lbs max. It was hard to actually keep my eyes closed for long, as well as keep the gun on my shoulder, left hand on the stock..
    this was classic... too funny in ways...
    Then I just came back from offshore fishing out of Oregon Inlet boating 3 wahoo and 3 blackfin tuna... on a 28' Mako 282 - me and 2 friends did well for the rough seas. Always looking for others to come fish - not a lark, it's work. Like alot of work.

we call this "Cast and Blast"

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'm always down for a good fishing trip. Do I spy twin 300's on that boat? Man that thing must roll. I haven't hit a stand yet this year but I'm ready for the big stripers!

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Twin Suzuki 300s, docked at my friend's place in Colington Harbor, Kill Devil Hills, NC.
    It's a 58 mile trip to the Point, a fishing area in the Gulf Stream outside Oregon Inlet.
    We had rough seas, at some points we were only at 15 knots.
    On glass seas, we get into the 36 kt. range, '28 Mako 285 (not 282) w/ a tower and riggers.
    We get about 1 gal/mile.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Twin Suzuki 300s, docked at my friend's place in Colington Harbor, Kill Devil Hills, NC.
    It's a 58 mile trip to the Point, a fishing area in the Gulf Stream outside Oregon Inlet.
    We had rough seas, at some points we were only at 15 knots.
    On glass seas, we get into the 36 kt. range, '28 Mako 285 (not 282) w/ a tower and riggers.
    We get about 1 gal/mile.

Hot damn, that makes my 7 gallons an hour in my 150 look like a gas sipper. You guys fish any sharks in early spring?

Jambone

Sep 15, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Nice fishing haul, I love fishing out of OI but it's hell getting in and out of that inlet this time of year. I have launched out of the fishing center a few times in my boat, it's hard to beat the fishing out of there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom