• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I was under the impression that these burns are good for the forest as some seeds require this to regenerate. Too much deadwood on the ground from not having these frequent fires results in hotter fires when they do occur causing worse forestry issues.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    They did a prescribed burn in FredCo yesterday or the day before...I thought that was pretty risky being as how dry it's been. They were successful though.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Most WV fires are brush fires and not true forest fires. They burn leaves and dead understory. They never get hot enough to do any real damage to more mature and healthy flora.

When I was a kid in Charleston in the early-to-mid 80s, it was not uncommon to see fires like this that were started intentionally by hunters of a low moral standard. When the leaf litter would build up too much to allow for understory to grow, or for deer to be able to find acorns and whatnot easily, they would partially fill an old tire with a mix of diesel and gas, light it, and then roll it on down the ridge line. The resultant brush fire would burn off leaves and kick-start the rejuvenation process so that, as Biggfoot44 said, in a few years, there'd be better hunting.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    We spent a couple hours checking out the history of the mine wars in Matewan. Very fascinating, I could have spent the whole day checking everything out. Did not make it to Blair’s Mountain this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom