• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Sometimes you get lucky & get to see other birds on Hummingbird feeders. Had some Orioles a few years back that would fly under the porch to hit my hummingbird feeders. I was able to get a few pics.

The orioles are now in Garrett Co. They do sell orange feeders that work well for Orioles. They make pretty cool bird songs!

Attachments

• BORIOLE.jpg
      BORIOLE.jpg
      52.8 KB · Views: 88
    • BORIOLEII.jpg
      BORIOLEII.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 94

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Sometimes you get lucky & get to see other birds on Hummingbird feeders. Had some Orioles a few years back that would fly under the porch to hit my hummingbird feeders. I was able to get a few pics.

The orioles are now in Garrett Co. They do sell orange feeders that work well for Orioles. They make pretty cool bird songs!

cool pics I never had Orioles get on my humming bird feeders. The 4 different humming birds types out here fight over the two feeders I have out lol. They are draining the feeders pretty quick and its not even the hot part of the year yet!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My favorite quote about hummingbirds:

If they were as big as crows you couldn't go outside.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    They are pretty territorial around here.

You can get so many more birds in rural areas than in the city and suburbs. I remember being in the Rockies in Colorado and seeing feeders with swarms of them feeding/waiting to feed.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    here's a few shots of the ones around here...

Attachments

• IMG_1952.JPG
      IMG_1952.JPG
      45.8 KB · Views: 75
    • IMG_1955.JPG
      IMG_1955.JPG
      64.8 KB · Views: 80
    • IMG_1976.JPG
      IMG_1976.JPG
      40.5 KB · Views: 77

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I was out on the Chesapeake Bay out of Deale, *two miles* from shore, and a hummingbird checked out the boat and zoomed off. I thought that was pretty cool.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I was out on the Chesapeake Bay out of Deale, *two miles* from shore, and a hummingbird checked out the boat and zoomed off. I thought that was pretty cool.

They can fly across the gulf in one shot so 2 miles is nothing for them :D heres a couple more pics from this evening.

Attachments

• humming bird.jpg
      humming bird.jpg
      15.2 KB · Views: 65
    • four humming birds.jpg
      four humming birds.jpg
      30.4 KB · Views: 64

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks...it takes quite a few pics to get a couple good ones lol..

It doesn't take long for them to find a feeder that's for sure...I put mine up the 5th of May and the next day had one on it now I can count up to 7-10 that I can see...They get crazy around here in the late evening.:D

C-130_MAC

May 3, 2013
    We have seen our first hummingbird this year (very late for here) and ITS A BIG ONE.

I have never seen one this big and its really dark with a low pitched flight sound.

After looking at a book, its the "Magnificent Hummingbird". This is NOT supposed to be in this area. Very strange.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Sarcasm. Buy a dictionary and look it up. Or just Google it.

Point was, what do hummingbirds have to do with shooting?

There are plenty of threads that don't apply to "shooting"...this is outdoor sports "For those who love Maryland's beautiful outdoors. Hunting, fishing, camping, etc"....

Tread lightly...starting problems is a quick way to get yourself a shiny Ban hammer.:)

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    Every year, the hummingbirds come back to our porch, looking for the feeders. I was a little late getting them out this year. But, there is always one male who chases away ALL the other birds, even the females. We have 4 feeders up and he will leave the feeder he is at to chase away another hummingbird at a different feeder. Nasty little bastard. So, this year, I'm going to add feeders to the back of the house. He can't guard them all at once.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    There are some great pictures on this thread! We have 3 feeders up, and we just got our first female on June 1st. So, we have at least 2 birds.

Often, chickadees, titmice, goldfinches, and others will drink from the hummingbird feeder ant moat...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Every year, the hummingbirds come back to our porch, looking for the feeders. I was a little late getting them out this year. But, there is always one male who chases away ALL the other birds, even the females. We have 4 feeders up and he will leave the feeder he is at to chase away another hummingbird at a different feeder. Nasty little bastard. So, this year, I'm going to add feeders to the back of the house. He can't guard them all at once.

I had to do the same thing...mean little buggers lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom