• henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    8a91ab184c8ab2b23676f8ce628c5036.jpg
    from hunting guide.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    I agree with it too. My first deer of the season is the first one that comes by. Have to get the monkey off my back.

NRA Member
    MD Hunter Safety Instructor
    RSO

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    They are creeping up to adopting full QDM regulations. Aside from land that is totally festooned with huge deer populations and need to go with "if its brown, its down" practices, I like the PA model of antler restrictions.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    I've only hunted for about 7 years so I still have the killer instinct. That's why I have never shot a nice buck. I just can't wait for something better. I hope this helps me out lol.

NRA Member
    MD Hunter Safety Instructor
    RSO

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I haven't even taken an antlered buck, so a small one would be tempting, esp if he keeps showing up and no does are LOL. I have a game cam but scared to put it back up due to trespassers still coming onto the land. The last was a couple weeks ago, someone on a 4 wheeler took down the rope at the road and road in and was checking out my shooting range! A neighbor had warned me of some numbskull who has sticky fingers. Probably was this lone rider. I am pretty upset, as a red fox keeps digging into my 100 yd backstop and would be a great place to set traps nov 15. BUT if this tard is there, he will surely steal my traps/foxes.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    A bunch of guys I hunt with are pissed off about this new rule change. They are meat hunters and will shoot anything. I tired to get a rule like that at my hunting camp but they cried so bad about it it never happened. So I'm all for the change and hope it works so well that they restrict it even more in the coming years.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    As much as I can empathize, can't they just shoot does? I always see more does than I see bucks wether hunting or just walking around and spooking deer up. DNR wants does thinned out anyway, why else unlimited in bow and 10 per season in BP and modern firearms? Does taste better anyway LOL. I can see if you have 1-2 days total to hunt each season, but how many of these guys hunt a dozen days at least? If on private land you KNOW they are baiting. Some get with buddies and do drives. Many many does get jumped up in drives.

Some guys just have to shoot bucks, even some raggy lil thing, just to say they got "horns". How many does do they pass up for that? They can't be having the first deer to present a good shot EVERY single time, every season, every day out, be a small buck. I always have had does with fawns. Shoot mom and get your meat LOL. Heck I saw a doe and her 2 fawns last week at my land, and they weren't even that scared of me. I'm told the deer #'s there are good. I always see new tracks every time there. I had a fawn checking out my shooting range too LOL ( along with a raccoon and red fox).

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I cant see the pic for some reason but I'd take a doe before a stinky buck anyday. Sure if a nice buck comes by I'd shoot him but typically the doe's taste better. With the exception of the last buck my wife shot (6pt) he was a 2.5yr old and very tasty!

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    So I'm all for the change and hope it works so well that they restrict it even more in the coming years.

Be VERY careful what you wish for in this state! You may get more restrictions than you ever imagined!
    Next thing you know they'll just tax you $1k to hold you libel for the deer on your property which they won't let you shoot but you have to feed birth control to instead.

Surprised someone on this forum would be asking for more restrictions from this whack-job state.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about the antlers but do NOT want md deciding anything else for me.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Be VERY careful what you wish for in this state! You may get more restrictions than you ever imagined!
    Next thing you know they'll just tax you $1k to hold you libel for the deer on your property which they won't let you shoot but you have to feed birth control to instead.

Surprised someone on this forum would be asking for more restrictions from this whack-job state.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about the antlers but do NOT want md deciding anything else for me.

Yeah if they can have a 'Rain on your land' tax, why not a 'Deer on your land' tax? Only 1/2 kidding!

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    The Anthony Brown, it's Down Tax of 2015: a tax set on the amount of deer poop on your property. Will be assessed based on your hunting zone, so zone B will be more heavily taxed. If you are in a suburban area with wooded areas interspersed, in horsey country with anti hunting horsey people, or have land on rural acreage next to a town, then you have a higher deer poop tax. If you can prove you have an active pack of coyotes that is eating fawns, you get a 10% tax reduction each quarter you can prove the pack is still there. Coming next- the Coyote Tax. Based on how many kitty cats get eaten in your area, if you have enough land to harbor a den site for coyotes, you get taxed. And that's not the end of it! The Raccoon Garbage Can tax, the Beaver Pond E-coli and Giardia Tax, the Wetlands That Harbor Mink tax, and the Weasel in the Henhouse Tax will be next!

ironcity

Feb 6, 2013
    Taneytown
    I have passed on many deer. I am not a trophy hunter i hunt for meat. I will not shoot a Doe if she has a yearling with her. My opinion is the yearling will need all the help they can get from mommy on how to survive the winter. Now with a Buck again i will let it go if it is a small one, let it grow for another year and get bigger (fatter).

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    LOL, I know a hunter who shoots the does first, then waits for the 2 fawns to come back to her body, then shoots 1 or both. He tries for both if the 2nd one doesn't take off after shooting the first one. He is next to Loch Raven, so plenty and plenty more deer to choose from, and they very much need culling. He donates most to the food bank program via his processor.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The Anthony Brown, it's Down Tax of 2015: a tax set on the amount of deer poop on your property. Will be assessed based on your hunting zone, so zone B will be more heavily taxed. If you are in a suburban area with wooded areas interspersed, in horsey country with anti hunting horsey people, or have land on rural acreage next to a town, then you have a higher deer poop tax. If you can prove you have an active pack of coyotes that is eating fawns, you get a 10% tax reduction each quarter you can prove the pack is still there. Coming next- the Coyote Tax. Based on how many kitty cats get eaten in your area, if you have enough land to harbor a den site for coyotes, you get taxed. And that's not the end of it! The Raccoon Garbage Can tax, the Beaver Pond E-coli and Giardia Tax, the Wetlands That Harbor Mink tax, and the Weasel in the Henhouse Tax will be next!

Damn! Buster Brown and his minions LOVE taxes and may try to recruit you! You may be asked to transition from taxidermist to head taxologist!

We know you'll say no though! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom