• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Any home where children might be present so that pretty much includes any home with a firearm even if you don't have your own children unless you're not going to ever have your grandkids or nieces and nephews into the house... Another almost unenforceable law that will do nothing to make anyone safer.. except for burglars of course and home Invaders. Now they would no longer have to worry about being met by an armed homeowner (if that homeowner was stupid enough to comply)

Wait. A child *could* figure out a combo to a safe.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I have written to the GA many times about safe storage. I made the case that, if they were serious about people locking up their firearms, then they should give some sort of subsidy to encourage people to buy safes and lockboxes. I guess they are not really serious as they have never done this.

But give away narcan to junkies.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I'm sure the gun safe companies would love to see more laws like this.

Traditional gun safes are not the only way. Hidden in plain sight where the lock is a simple neodymium magnet is even better (provided the homeowner understands that loose lips sink ships). Idk why tactical walls scaled back their lineup to only mirrors and shelves; their bedside tables are ****.

But, yeah, what I do in my home is none of the brown shirts business. NAP is so simple, and yet for the big gov types, so very confusing.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    To be 100% transparent, once my girls were old enough to have unaccompanied friends, I bought a safe, than a second, then came the horrible boating accident. I guess they *could* go diving and gain access to the guns, I'm screwed.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Traditional gun safes are not the only way. Hidden in plain sight where the lock is a simple neodymium magnet is even better (provided the homeowner understands that loose lips sink ships). Idk why tactical walls scaled back their lineup to only mirrors and shelves; their bedside tables are ****.

But, yeah, what I do in my home is none of the brown shirts business. NAP is so simple, and yet for the big gov types, so very confusing.

Amen.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The law will really only ever be applied to people who have had a child injured or killed.

You can’t legislate common sense
    You can’t find legislators with common sense

That’s why we can’t have nice things.

The current one hasn't been enforced on those that have lost a child to negligence, why should they start now.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Picking select school districts to focus on is dead on. Pick ones for their impact in elevating the issue. I won't say more here about tactical considerations. Just know this is well plowed ground.

With the available knowledge/skill sets, we could sidestep the NRA/NSSF distraction and create our own version. We're well into the 21st century after all.

It would require a cadre of committ4d people, willing to create an arena not characterized by our individual ideological/intellectual preferences. None of that is the issue; creating the organization (the structure needed to prosecute the matter) is the issue.

It's a great idea. Now all we need is a committed core group. I'm in.

This has always been the issue, everyone wants the benefit, but they don't want to put in the work.

JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    I have guns at the ready in my home. When we have family/ friends with kids I lock everything up. Except for my carry gun. If they are staying the night my carry gun goes in a quick access safe right next to my bed. Just have to shoot my way to the AR. It’s just common sense.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    But give away narcan to junkies.

Why put down one thing to justify another. I am not against both. Some of those Junkies are actually good people. Some will get clean and become productive members of society.

I am in that camp. My vice was opiates. I just celebrated 16 years this past Nov 22nd. I now work as a network engineer. I do things to help the community and have helped many addicts find recovery. You would be surprised how many you probably know. Alot of people arent open because of the stigma. If not for Narcan me and many other good people wouldnt be around.

We cant we have Narcan, Subsidized cancer treatment, and gun safes. It would be better spent there then most other things like removing and trying to rewrite history or the corrupt politicians pockets.

Or I would also be good with doing away with the socialized everything but its accross the board. If you can pull your own weight life is gonna suck and be short. Just like the old days. Believe it or not that would help alot of addicts too.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    The law will really only ever be applied to people who have had a child injured or killed.

You can’t legislate common sense
    You can’t find legislators with common sense

That’s why we can’t have nice things.

Which adds insult to injury. "You kid just died? Here's a criminal charge to go with it"

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Which adds insult to injury. "You kid just died? Here's a criminal charge to go with it"

I think it’s more along the lines of “you did something that allowed your kid to kill themselves or someone else, here’s a criminal charge”.

I guess I am part of the problem. I don’t see a problem with holding parents responsible for the actions of their kids, within reason. This is a case of was the parents trust in allowing access to a deadly weapon. If people are saying parents are the best to judge if their kids are trust worthy, rather than society telling them, than parents also then need to be responsible for their kids actions in this case.

I have a serious problem with it being a crime to allow access or that access COULD occur. Millions of kids have access by design. Those parents trust is not misplaced. Occasionally a parent really is negligent either in that trust or they do nothing to ensure their kids could or would be safe and allow access. I have a concern if parents aren’t held responsible by being negligent.

It’s only negligent if their kid does something bad with that access. Having access isn’t by itself negligent.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

I get upset when I hear about a kid dying in a hot car or drowning in a pool due to of finding a loaded firearm and killing themselves or another kid. Some would argue that all three scenarios could have been avoided with responsible parenting.

There are times when the level of parents negligence is small and even legitimately accidental. In those cases punishment can be counterproductive, especially if there are other children dependent on the parent. There are other times when the death of a child occurs after many years of continual parental negligence. That later category is criminal conduct in my opinion and should be punished.

How effective are these laws at protecting kids from negligence and saving lives? IMO, Not very effective. I don’t know the statistics on how many children have been killed in Maryland due to finding a loaded gun in the home and causing a unintended shooting fatality, but I suspect it’s less than 10 a year. The real stat that I would like to know is how many of those deaths were from illegal guns? If it’s a substantial percentage, then the law wont make a difference.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I think it’s more along the lines of “you did something that allowed your kid to kill themselves or someone else, here’s a criminal charge”.

I guess I am part of the problem. I don’t see a problem with holding parents responsible for the actions of their kids, within reason. This is a case of was the parents trust in allowing access to a deadly weapon. If people are saying parents are the best to judge if their kids are trust worthy, rather than society telling them, than parents also then need to be responsible for their kids actions in this case.

I have a serious problem with it being a crime to allow access or that access COULD occur. Millions of kids have access by design. Those parents trust is not misplaced. Occasionally a parent really is negligent either in that trust or they do nothing to ensure their kids could or would be safe and allow access. I have a concern if parents aren’t held responsible by being negligent.

It’s only negligent if their kid does something bad with that access. Having access isn’t by itself negligent.

I can't really disagree, parents should be held accountable for their children's actions.....statistically, however, the kids who do commit crimes with firearms usually come from broken homes anyway so finding both parents could be problematic.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This common sense program would save lives.

My kids were taught firearm safety as soon as the could stand. My 20 year old will still ask permission to handle a gun that he’d like to pick up if I have something out. If every kid leaned the very basics, when they came across a gun they’d know what to do.

We teach them about drugs, there’s books in the school library with the lawn boy blowing his buddy and taking it up the ass, but gun safety is somehow distasteful?

Similar to how I was raised.

I was taught to not touch any firearm without the presence and consent of my parents.

I had my toy guns, including BB and pellet ones. And I could shoot these by myself, once I was trained.

And I was taken shooting firearms, starting about 5 years old.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Similar to how I was raised.

I was taught to not touch any firearm without the presence and consent of my parents.

I had my toy guns, including BB and pellet ones. And I could shoot these by myself, once I was trained.

And I was taken shooting firearms, starting about 5 years old.

Same. All of my kids have been exposed to firearms from a very young age. Any time one is present, there is a reminder given (in varying tone depending on which child I'm talking to and the attendant personality): "this is a tool, not a toy. It can cause great harm, and the second you stop respecting it or even think of it as a toy, is when someone gets hurt - or worse."

As soon as they are old enough, I teach them how to properly handle a BB gun, muzzle control, trigger discipline ("keep your booger hooker off the bang switch" is just funny enough that they never forget it), etc. (3-4 years old)

As soon as they are old enough (5-6 years old for #1 below; each kid is different), off to the range they go, and - in order:

1) First trip, they are observing only with my wife (or recently my oldest) there to make sure they make like a statue;

2) Second trip, they use a 10/22 from the bench with single shots;

3) Third and after, they get the same 10/22, with a few more rounds in the magazine until they demonstrate proficiency and more importantly respect. Move on to standing, kneeling, etc.

Eventually, they get to center fire long guns, and beyond. Every range trip I'll bring something extra loud (e.g. at 10" barrel with an Atlas brake), and I'll always bring something like a pumpkin or the like so they can see what a "bullet" does on impact.

I keep everything locked up anyway (what may have quick access isn't a matter for public discussion, but still locked up). Just the same, number 3 kid I was concerned hadn't quite got the message about "tool not toy" when he was five. So I made a point to leave one on the table and make like I forgot it while cleaning it and had left it there (cleared, Firing Pin removed for good measure - and no ammo around anywhere anyway); I waited around the corner to see what he did. Despite being "all boy" and five, he shouted bloody murder for my wife and I because he saw an unsecured gun.

[I think I've mentioned the story before, but my sons were using BB guns at the family farm about two years ago and my father decided to join. Both my sons, then 11 and 6, went absolute nuts on him over trigger discipline and muzzle control - to the point that my 11 year old told him that if he didn't stop being so lazy he was going to go inside and wouldn't be around him with even a Nerf gun again. My father was gobsmacked - rightly so - but managed to get the message; my son's even got a thank you from their grandmother for putting the old man in his place.]

This forbidden fruit nonsense from the left is beyond stupid. Make something forbidden fruit and it becomes the thing a child (or immature adult even) will want more than anything else.

Take the mystery out, let parents be parents, and lose the nanny state nonsense.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I am certain that those who are pushing for this bill would be fine with this scenario. Someone steals their car, because it was parked in their driveway unlocked and someone stole it, then killed someone with the stolen car, the owner should have to face prison time and tremendous fines! Nothing like being victimized multiple times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom