• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    AFAIK, legal to shoot bearded hens
    Correct as found in the regulation (and hunting guide) “bearded” turkeys are noted not male - female.

As with deer “Antlered - Antlerless” not male - female.

April 18–May 23
    (includes Sundays in certain counties, see chart)
    STATEWIDE
    1 bearded turkey per day,
    2 bearded turkeys per season

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    But unlike the tranny bar, that hen sits on eggs. It's legal, but shooting it might take out a whole nest.
    Killing a hen that’s sitting could be like killing six turkeys.
    I always let them go because you never know.
    Theirs already enough baiting going on that gets away with unaddressed that at least for me that would be reason enough to just pass them up.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    The bearded hen was out back again this morning. I have no intention of killing it for the exact reason stated by Doco Overboard above.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Killing a hen that’s sitting could be like killing six turkeys.
    I always let them go because you never know.
    Theirs already enough baiting going on that gets away with unaddressed that at least for me that would be reason enough to just pass them up.
    Probably of the biggest hazards to hens sitting on nests is hay mowing. They are impossible to see(the mower is off to the sides of the tractors) and the birds(as well as fawns) tend to hunker down instead of take flight.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ...and for the record, I didn't recommended shooting the hen. My intention was to say, if you shoot one by accident, you don't have to fear legal repercussions.

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    if you shoot one by accident, you don't have to fear legal repercussions.
    And that is why the reg is written that way (bearded rather than male - female). We all know you don’t want to take hens (most definitely not during spring season). But a less experienced hunter may see a bearded hen (not on a nest) and mistake it for a male turkey and take it. If that happens it’s a shame but the hunter would not be in “violation” for what would be a honest mistake if the reg were written male - female.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    What an incredible morning. I normally don't mess with the home range turkeys if I get one, but I really wanted to get my son out to experience a hunt, and since I punched the first tag pretty early opening morning, I haven't been able to. So I asked him if he would go with me this morning close by and it turned out great. I heard the birds gobbling on roost last night, but had to set up far away as I can't hunt close to that spot. As the sun broke, we heard multiple birds and made a few calls. At one point at least 2, maybe 3 were headed our way, it was just a matter of them making it all the way to us. Then, one starts hammering right on top of us. I had my son hit a push button yelped and he lost his mind. Of course he looped out around our blind and never saw our decoy, but the boy remained still and calm enough for me to adjust for a shot behind us and by 6am I was tagged out for the first time. I'm so proud of how great he did on his first time out with me and to see the excitement on his face is a moment I'll never forget.

Attachments

• 20230512_062115.jpg
      20230512_062115.jpg
      774.8 KB · Views: 62
    • 20230512_061207.jpg
      20230512_061207.jpg
      440.2 KB · Views: 59
    • 20230512_055927.jpg
      20230512_055927.jpg
      957.6 KB · Views: 58
    • 20230512_055616.jpg
      20230512_055616.jpg
      414.5 KB · Views: 61

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    What an incredible morning. I normally don't mess with the home range turkeys if I get one, but I really wanted to get my son out to experience a hunt, and since I punched the first tag pretty early opening morning, I haven't been able to. So I asked him if he would go with me this morning close by and it turned out great. I heard the birds gobbling on roost last night, but had to set up far away as I can't hunt close to that spot. As the sun broke, we heard multiple birds and made a few calls. At one point at least 2, maybe 3 were headed our way, it was just a matter of them making it all the way to us. Then, one starts hammering right on top of us. I had my son hit a push button yelped and he lost his mind. Of course he looped out around our blind and never saw our decoy, but the boy remained still and calm enough for me to adjust for a shot behind us and by 6am I was tagged out for the first time. I'm so proud of how great he did on his first time out with me and to see the excitement on his face is a moment I'll never forget.
    Congratulations to that young man!!! And it’s great seeing a father and son bonding hunt like y’all just had!!!!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    ...and for the record, I didn't recommended shooting the hen. My intention was to say, if you shoot one by accident, you don't have to fear legal repercussions.

I know you know and are experienced.
    I’m not trying to say you advocate shooting hens, or anyone for that matter.
    You get it I’m sure.
    Just saw this and wanted to follow up to be clear.
    Mostly for the thread update where that youngin picked a bird up.
    Thats the why for what I wrote.
    Others may not understand management practices for what I consider a valuable resource. And it’s not killing a turkey it’s developing our young people resources.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Priceless

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I know you know and are experienced.
    I’m not trying to say you advocate shooting hens, or anyone for that matter.
    You get it I’m sure.
    Just saw this and wanted to follow up to be clear.
    Mostly for the thread update where that youngin picked a bird up.
    Thats the why for what I wrote.
    Others may not understand management practices for what I consider a valuable resource. And it’s not killing a turkey it’s developing our young people resources.
    Thanks my friend. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's what it's all about. Congrats to you both!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Congratulations to that young man!!! And it’s great seeing a father and son bonding hunt like y’all just had!!!!

Priceless

Thanks all! It was really special. Also a little redemption for him, lol. We had sat in a blind in the fall and got out earlier since he was getting twitchy. Not 5 minutes later my camera goes off as a nice 10 pt walked by.

The turkeys really helped me out this morning. They were gobbling hard and it definitely kept him engaged

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    MD had quite the season. Hopefully there's some birds left, lol.

I credit it to a very mild winter. I know, parts of this country have hellacious winters and maintain huge wild turkey populations, but in those places, those birds are used to that. Down here, we are kind of on the dividing line for weather. We can have a few mild winters and then hit a string of frigid winters resulting in not only turkey kills, but deer kill-offs as well.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Western Md had perfect weather for the most part the first week of the season. A friend who lives there had multiple birds to work with and he killed one on day three. I went the 2nd week and had one bird come in about 100 yards and skirted around me then went on private property.
    I missed the peak in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom